Sign in to follow this  
Alessandrov81

Affinity Mask with HT I7 4790k

Guest JustanotherPilot

I have the i7 4790K CPU and the R9270X GPU on my system running P3D2.4. I have found better performance by NOT using Affinity Mask settings. and HT ON. I have experimented with all the Affinity Mask settings which all affected P3d in different ways, none of which were satisfactory. A good test is to adjust your Affinity Mask to whatever you want, start P3d, load up a flight with plenty of ORBX  scenery (one that always drops your frame rate). When this is loaded   open up the task manager for windows (numerous googles on howt to) then on the top tag, select Processes, then tick the box with P3D.exe shown, then go to Performances, this open up a window which shows how your cpu is allocating memory/distributing the load for the Affinity Mask settings you have set, If you open(Resources monitor at the bottom right a larger portrayal of this is shown)

Okay, now take note of the settings, ext Task manager, exit P3d, change your Affinity settings again, repeat the process and again, take note of the CPU load, which will be different with every change. Keep doing this as many times as you want, changing the Affinity Mask each time. Now

FINALLY......Remove the Affinity Mask setting so that NONE are set, run the Task Manager as previously done. When you open the Processes you will notice that ALL of the CPU cores are showing their allocated load, this is because the Affinity Mask setting has been built into  P3d,  to provide the best settings  as required. LM recommend that you DO NOT change the Affinity because it's already built into the coding.

As a comparison try this with FSX which needs an Affinity setting to utilize all of the CPU cores.

Hope this helps.

steve s

interesting we have almost the same hardware. I'm very curious to know your settings in sim and on ati CCC and performances.

I have set Rob's (high) settings - Building and vegetation shadows, plus i set Trees' autogen Very Dense and Building Dense because i do not see a consistent difference in FPS, AI traffic all at 10%. Water=High and Rob's settings

In CCC:

MSAA=4X

AA=8X

Supersampling

Filtering=quality

Vsync off

Tessellation=use app settings ( found this very useful against blurries, with tessellation=ultra in sim)

I found that with A2A planes (which work a little bit outside sim) and ASN with AM=254 i can get 2-3 more FPS, i think because CORE 0 otherwise is bottlenecked (90-100% load) while others are used less

Also GPU usage is around 50% normally... yours? Do you think GPU is bottlenecking sometimes? I noticed spot 100% GPU load (very rare but still there). I overclocked it +10% power, 1100mhz

In ORBX PNW Seattle i get 20-25 FPS, San Francisco (more FPS friendly for me) 25-30 with autogen dense... which is pretty good for my tastes, but maybe i can learn something from your settings

Also, i found that with HT=OFF i can get more FPS (3-4-5!) but with insufficient texture loading (more blurries) i think because CPU Load is higher and 1-2 cores are usually bottlenecked (frequently 100% load). So i prefer HT=on

tks!

I found Idi get some bottle-necking with the R270X when I enabled some settings of AM set in FSX (if I used more than 6 cores) but I don't experience it with P3D. The beauty of P3D is the CPU and GPU seem to work in harmony and controlled by P3D and not by major adjustments to the cfg file.

Here are my current settings whch I'm happy with (at the moment).

I'm using 16gig of RAM but your 8gig should be OK.

FXAA=Off

MSAA=Off

Anisoptic=16x

Vsync=ON

Frame rate locked at 33 (which gives me a solid 30fps)

Texture=4096x4096 ( next setting down is OK , I use this for REX cloud textures)

Screen Res = 1920 x 1080 x 32 which is the limitation of my monitor.

Scenery=Ultra

Tess=Ultra

Mesh=2m

Texture=15cm

Scenery Complex = Very Dense

Autogen Buildings and Buildings=Dense

CFG

FFTF=0.11

OptimizeParts=1

TextureMaxLoad=6.5

HIGHMEMFIX=1

HT on via bios

i7-4790K NO OC

These settings work fine with me, I have no stutters or lag or crashes.

There will be readers who disagree with them, but as stated they work for me

Running P3D with an i7 2600K OC @ 4.2 and an GTX 970. What is your recommendation for this system? HT on or off? AM yes or no and if yes what setting?

Thanks for your help,

fernandinho

Am running same CPU @4.6 and a GTX780 GB

Thanks to SteveW

I tried AM 254 last night as I liked the idea of just leaving 1 core free and then I set TrackIR and ASN to only use the free core not used by P3D. Seems to work really well. Very smooth.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Thanks for your fast reply. I will give that a try. Do you have any other tweaks in the.cfg? Do you fly with unlimited frames? And, sorry I'm not a big technician, what has do be done to make ASN use the free core?

I know, a lot of questions ;-)

Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Windows Task manager

Processes

Find ASN

Right click

Set Affinity

and set like this.

aff.jpg

Setting will not stick so you will have to set it every time you fly.

Click the link in my sig for other tweaks. Clue is in the title :)

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Happy to help, GL

Setting will not stick so you will have to set it every time you fly.

Or just set up a BAT file that runs P3d and all your add-ons and has lines like this:

start /b "" /AFFINITY 0x200 "E:\Program Files (x86)\HiFi\ASNext_P3D\ASNext.exe"

You can even build in delays in loading (to allow the P3d to fully load before running specific add-ons) by having lines like this:

powershell -command "Start-Sleep -s 5"

It's sort of the poor man's FSUIPC Run<n> command with affinity mask (and priority also if you want to add that command line option).

Hey that's sounds great, would you mind me PM you with details to help out on that?

Sure, but I can post my BAT file here to get you started. Keep in  mind, that this file was from when I was fooling around with affinity masks, which I don't do anymore, since it has no effect for me on P3d 2.5. Also, I have 12 physical cores with HT off, so the affinity masks aren't going to look like anyone else's.

e:
cd "E:\Program Files (x86)\FlyingWSimulation\SuperTrafficBoard V3.3 P3D V2"
start /b "" /BELOWNORMAL /AFFINITY 0x100 "TrafficBoardFrontEnd.exe"
start /b "" /AFFINITY 0x400 "C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5\TrackIR5.exe"
start /b "" /AFFINITY 0x200 "E:\Program Files (x86)\HiFi\ASNext_P3D\ASNext.exe"
start /b "" /AFFINITY 0x100 "D:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --qt-start-minimized
start /b "" /HIGH "G:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v2\Prepar3D.exe"
powershell -command "Start-Sleep -s 50"
start /b "" /BELOWNORMAL /AFFINITY 0x100 "G:\Program Files (x86)\AirTrafficManager\AirTrafficManager.exe"

I found Idi get some bottle-necking with the R270X when I enabled some settings of AM set in FSX (if I used more than 6 cores) but I don't experience it with P3D. The beauty of P3D is the CPU and GPU seem to work in harmony and controlled by P3D and not by major adjustments to the cfg file.

Here are my current settings whch I'm happy with (at the moment).

I'm using 16gig of RAM but your 8gig should be OK.

FXAA=Off

MSAA=Off

Anisoptic=16x

Vsync=ON

Frame rate locked at 33 (which gives me a solid 30fps)

Texture=4096x4096 ( next setting down is OK , I use this for REX cloud textures)

Screen Res = 1920 x 1080 x 32 which is the limitation of my monitor.

Scenery=Ultra

Tess=Ultra

Mesh=2m

Texture=15cm

Scenery Complex = Very Dense

Autogen Buildings and Buildings=Dense

CFG

FFTF=0.11

OptimizeParts=1

TextureMaxLoad=6.5

HIGHMEMFIX=1

HT on via bios

i7-4790K NO OC

These settings work fine with me, I have no stutters or lag or crashes.

There will be readers who disagree with them, but as stated they work for me

Hi Steve

Tks for sharing your settings. May i ask you a few questions?

1) Why did you set MSAA=0? Do you feel our card cannot handle it or it hits much FPS? Because i use MSS=4X without problems (i think so at least)

2) Why Vsync on with locked frames at 33? I have FPS locked at 30 and do not see teating or other graphical issues that would require Vsync

3) how about REX settings? I have 1024 textures for all, 32 bit / DX11

tks to everyone for for interventions on this thread

Guest JustanotherPilot

Hi Steve

Tks for sharing your settings. May i ask you a few questions?

1) Why did you set MSAA=0? Do you feel our card cannot handle it or it hits much FPS? Because i use MSS=4X without problems (i think so at least)

2) Why Vsync on with locked frames at 33? I have FPS locked at 30 and do not see teating or other graphical issues that would require Vsync

3) how about REX settings? I have 1024 textures for all, 32 bit / DX11

tks to everyone for for interventions on this thread

1. No particular reason other than other posts from other sites. If yours works OK for you, use it.

2. Again, I read somewhere that you set 10% more for your desired locked framerate to allow for the lag in texture loading. My desired goal was 30fps. So I set it at 33. When I had it set at 30 i was getting 26-27 fps, so there might be something in it..

I'm using REX for textures and ASN for weather. I have REX at 4096 with DX11.

There is really no hard and fast rule with settings other than experiment. It took me years and much frustration to get my FSX cfg and settings to my liking and to keep pace with improved hardware becoming available,  P3D is more hardware friendly and only needs small adjustments to suit your machine.

Hope this helps.

Ahhhhh have given ma laff to Je.....aaaaaaaa........Process Lassooooooo!!!!!

Praise the Lo......errrrr....... The Permanent Rules of CPU Affiniteeeeeeeeee

thankyewwwwwwwwwwwJe.....ummmm.....BitSum Technologies!!!!!

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Hi Rick, looks like i miss some basics... can't understand you when you say you have "unparked cores registry hack" can you send a link 

use this instead 

https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

After all the brouhaha about the affinity Mask and how Windows uses core zero (zero and one if hyper-threading...take a look at this, where core #3 (core2zero based), WAS being hammered at 100% with cores 3-7(0 based) dedicated P3dv3...then, I decided well what the heck, and gave all the cores acess to P3dV3.1....or did I give P3d access to all the cores.....I'm sooooooo confused...

I don't need to know no Steeking binary...I just know what I see....besides Process Lasso makes the settings permanent, until you change it... What could be simpler?

Here's the result on my I7-2600K/Gforce 770 flying over Orbx NoCal transitioning to SoCal...

9umwB50.jpg

Notice TWO GTN750s are running...oh yeah...weather is thanks to ASN...for now...

There's a lot of information ...examine closely ...but the one thing I think you need to agree, is that the core in question is no longer being hammered.

Comments and alternate interpretations welcome.

Cheers,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2