Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

A quick question about adaptive Vsync

So, I just realized that 1/2 refresh doesn't work in P3Dv2 due to the fact the sim does not run in fullscreen but there's a thing called Adaptive vsync. My question is does this only work with frames set to unlimited? Can I lock the frames? Most of the time my frames are pretty high but in some areas or with some airplanes they fluctuate a lot which produces stutters. Maybe locking the frames would help (like in FSX) but would Adaptive Sync still work?

As you can see I have no idea what Adaptive Sync actually does.. is it something similar to 1/2 refresh rate which I used in FSX and made a huge difference in smoothness? What's the word on P3Dv2 fullscreen.. are they working on it or is it impossible or something?

Because P3D runs windowed mode, you only need vsync with fps set to unlimited. This way you prevent tearing when game fps exceeds your desktop refresh rate (which usually is 60Hz).

If you set P3D fps limit lower than your desktop refresh rate, you don't need vsync.

Standard vsync may induce stutter because it throttles down in steps from 60 > 30 >20 >15 fps when game fps drops below desktop refresh rate.

Adaptive vsync helps to prevent this stutter because it switches vsync off when game fps drops below desktop refresh rate.

I prefer fps locked at 30 and vsync/triple buffering disabled (btw, you must use an Aero desktop theme).

But if you want unlimited, then adaptive vsync is your best option.

And: Forget about 1/2 refresh rate, that only works in full screen exclusive mode (FSX).

Hi

I have my frames set to unlimited, vsync and triple buffering are on in p3d settings. That's all. Although I've never used Adaptive vsync. I'll try it, and let you guys know what I think  :) 

Cheers

One of the reasons, Artur was that so many people wanted to have other programs running on a second monitor and that was impossible with true full screen.

Frankly, I prefer the windowed full screen - I see no real difference and I have the second monitor available.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Ok but why than not both options?

1/2 refresh rate doesn't work in fake full screen and this made a huge difference in smoothness in FSX, I suspect P3D would benefit from this one also. P3D is performing OK for me apart from microstutters.. which would be eliminated with 1/2 refresh rate sync option (like in FSX). That's why a lot of people would like to see true full screen.

One of the reasons, Artur was that so many people wanted to have other programs running on a second monitor and that was impossible with true full screen.

Frankly, I prefer the windowed full screen - I see no real difference and I have the second monitor available.

Vic

Windowed mode is already present in P3D.

Just as they created the program, there are two (one mistakenly called "Full screen").

I would love to have the ability to run in true full screen and use the same method that produces such a smooth experience in FSX DX10.

This is the one reason I am not spending too much time in P3D right now which is a shame :( 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

This is the one reason I am not spending too much time in P3D right now which is a shame :(

Exactly! This is not some obscure function a couple of people want.. it's a major feature that would make P3D experience so much better for a lot of people.

They also stated that there were significant bugs in the code for "real" fullscreen. They did not identify those bugs.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

They also stated that there were significant bugs in the code for "real" fullscreen. They did not identify those bugs.

FSX must also have those bugs than... and I was happily using it for years in fullscreen. Even if there are major bugs, LM has the code and they have a great opportunity to solve those bugs. As I said in the other forum.. it would be great if there'd be options. I don't know why some people are so against that.

FSX must also have those bugs than... and I was happily using it for years in fullscreen. Even if there are major bugs, LM has the code and they have a great opportunity to solve those bugs. As I said in the other forum.. it would be great if there'd be options. I don't know why some people are so against that.

Also P3D 1.4, the SIM more stable and smooth that I've ever had (unfortunately without ASN).

Also P3D 1.4, the SIM more stable and smooth that I've ever had (unfortunately without ASN).

Prepar3d like FSX 1.4 uses DirectX 9.0c. Prepar3D 2.n uses DirectX 11. They are differebnt.

“And to also add, in practice, using FSX with multi monitors will black out all but the main monitor.”

“Both NVidia and AMD have their own special driver features that are not part of the D3D11 standard.”