Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

How Do You Use Default ATC?

I wondered how everyone flies airliners .... I only fly them now and then, I'm a more committed bush pilot. 

a - Do you follow default ATC instructions IFR right down to ILS approach they give you?

b -  Do you ignore ATC after climb, and follow your own flight plan, predicting the RNWY to land on based o wind direction?

I've found that a) is often very good at getting you on the glidescope, and I always find it. But there are sometimes strange instructions. 

I've tried b but traffic can get in your way, or wind direction change so you are headed for the wrong end of the runway! And of course you have to carefully calculate our descent and find the glidescope yourself...

a) Of course. Well, except when default ATC screws up. Then I'll merrily do what I think is best to get to my destination.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Erm, that's "glidesLope"... :Secret:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

When we follow default ATC we have the option to tune in as and when we feel like it. But re-establish contact way before descent and we get an approach, we then confirm the runway direction, but we can also choose our desired approach instead. Generally the ATC works great, but if it's coping with, say an airport that has runway with only one taxi entrance/exit, then AI getting in each others way can unsettle the ATC.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

The best program I have found for controlling AI when using the default ATC program is AISmooth_V120. This program will remove all the AI out of your area so you can land (most of the time).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The best program I have found for controlling AI when using the default ATC program is AISmooth_V120. This program will remove all the AI out of your area so you can land (most of the time).

You're mixing up Traffic Optimizer and AI Smooth.

TrafficOptimizer: Remove AI aircraft from the surrounding area.

AI Smooth: Ensure proper spacing between approaching aircraft by speeding them up or slowing them down.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

You're mixing up Traffic Optimizer and AI Smooth.

TrafficOptimizer: Remove AI aircraft from the surrounding area.

AI Smooth: Ensure proper spacing between approaching aircraft by speeding them up or slowing them down.

Never heard of Traffic Optimizer but believe you.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Erm, that's "glidesLope"... :Secret:

That's an easy gaffe to make if you are a, Doctor, Electronics Service Technician, Astronomer, or Microbiologist.

Stethoscope or Endoscope, Oscilloscope, Telescope, Microscope.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Only ever used the default fs9 ATC a couple of times when I first bought the sim, that was enough to make me buy Radar Contact back when you had to wait for the CD to arrive in the mail.

Best money I ever spent on the hobby, the default ATC is of little use for anyone who fly's exclusively in Europe.

But even with the defaults short comings it is streets ahead of the Xplane 10 ATC, MS put some serious work into those voices all those years ago.

To much unrealism with artificial intelligent ATC. I file so I can load the flight plan in ASN then just monitor the appropriate frequency enroute for the chatter. I usually fly a STAR or just vector myself to final and use TCAS for spacing. 

Vic green

Don't forget that if AI traffic is bothering you and you want to remove it temporarily, all you have to do is change the time, even by just 1 second...

Wehn I fly airliners I pretty much ignore them in IFR on the way up, only paying attention ot the height restrictions. As soon as I am on cruising altitude and get a change to a new frequency, I tune in but don´t report m,y precence. Thus I can go away, read and do something and the FMS flies in the meantime. I rerestablish contact before decent and try to follow them back to the runway. Works pretty well.

Don't forget that if AI traffic is bothering you and you want to remove it temporarily, all you have to do is change the time, even by just 1 second...

You can also set a key stroke in FSUIPC to zap AI in your vicinity, like if you come up on another plane when your on final or if a plane overtakes you on final, you can just hit a key and zap it (make it vanish). Works well if your on the taxi way and don't want to wait for the 5 planes in front of you to take off, just zap them and take the number 1 slot :-)

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Personally, I use default ATC for VFR - it's actually really good for this.  

For IFR, I don't use it all.   I simply "imagine" all instructions from ATC (and bizarrely, they always suit me perfectly!  :lol: ), and then follow my imagined instructions.

Eg... on the ground, I imagine my initial clearance, say, 6,000, and then when I am climbing out and approaching that, I imagine further climb clearances, headings, SID / STAR clearances.

Default ATC for IFR is painful and although I've bought and tried a couple of addon ATC programs (Radar Contact and VoxATC) non were keepers for me.

I used to use the default ATC, but since I only fly airliners, I keep the frequency tuned to I can hear some chatter. But I do the following

1) Program a flight plan

2) Put in the SID

3) Get ground charts online and and file my own taxi route

4) If there are AI in front of me, it depends on my time I'll either go through them or get in line

5) Assign my own clearances and constraints (Somehow they all work perfectly for me too!)

6) During cruise assign my STAR and landing RW as close to procedure as I can find on the internet

7) After landing I allow default FSX to assign me to a gate and follow their route (I feel comfortable doing this as I have my ATC parking codes set)

Done!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma