Sign in to follow this  
bonchie

About to re-install P3D...Update me on what I've missed?

I haven't simmed in a while. Been really busy and working a lot. Flying in real life kind of put a damper on how much I cared about booting up FSX/P3D. 

I'm about to start on my IFR rating and want to practice procedures. Plus I've just got that itch again.

My last version was 2.3 maybe? I see we are up to 2.5. What major changes should I expect? Performance? New tweaks I need to know about? Have they fixed the water (always bugged me)? Anything else cool that's went on the past 4-5 months I should know? Any reason I should install FSX instead or have things progressed nicely?

Thanks for any feedback.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I see we are up to 2.5. What major changes should I expect? Performance?

New tweaks I need to know about?

Have they fixed the water (always bugged me)?

Anything else cool that's went on the past 4-5 months I should know?

Any reason I should install FSX instead or have things progressed nicely?

-2.5 have a new file system which allows for greater flexibility going forward, this however means the current addons which are complex needed to be reworked. The major addon's have all been updated to be compliant with v2.5. Performance has been increased, it varies system to system but I have noticed my install has increased the fluidity (is that a word?) even at lower frames.

-Tweaks except for those found in the LM learning center are not suggested for prepar3d installs.

-Water looks good to me, I use REX TD4 with DX11.

-PMDG released their products for P3D, both the 777 and NGX are out. That being said, PMDG have stated the 64bit update will be free, that is what is probably next to come at some point.

-Its up to you to decide if FSX is worth the install. Keep in mind, P3D is pushing the limits of hardware right now but it is doing it while keeping the sim smooth at lower frames. FSX doesn't have the eye candy such as cloud shadows and HDR which P3D has.