Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

What is an "LINDA Out Of Range" Error?

Linda seems to be working ok but sometimes  this box pops up. I close and reload Linda.

Using V2.6.3

fsuipc registered latest version downloaded Monday

FSX Acceleration

No MCP Combo..I use it for joystick/throttle buttons

Saitek Cessna yoke/rudder pedals/+extra Quadrant

Thanks for info

Neal H

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Hi Neil

I have tightened up on some of the error checking in LINDA since 2.5.7.  A Range Check error is where the software is attempting to access out the bounds of an array. These conditions most probably existed before with unknown implication but you never saw them.  These undesirable actions are now being trapped and reported.  There should be no reason to restart LINDA. Just click OK and continue. 

What is useful for me to know is was your were doing with LINDA prior to the error dialog. What was clicked or what page you were on?

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

always on the joystick page. I was pressing buttons (in order) 3,4,5,6 to start PMDG 737. It started without problem so I do not know if one of those buttons was the cause.

This new, improved LINDA simplifies the entire power up to taxi process for the 737. Almost like cheating :)

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Update:

As far as I can tell Linda is working properly but....whenever I shut down FSX there is the "Out Of Range" box. No idea when it appeared because there is never any notification. It just stays hidden behind the flight screen,

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

I am getting the same error, and last time it happened was this evening as I clicked to undock a panel in the PMDG 737NGX.

Closing the error box, and re-loading Linda seems to keep linda working fine after the error.

A day without laughter, is a day without living.

I don't reload Linda and it still works okay. What I don't understand is why it only occurs sometimes.

If FSX is already in full or windowed mode it may not even be visible until I close FSX. Even then, Linda works as it should.

Sorry Scott but I don't have a clue what this means: "software is attempting to access out the bounds of an array.".

I tried 2.5.7 and it still occurs sometimes so I went back to 2.6.3 which I really like.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

I have the same issue, I don't think it has had any impact on FSX and as I fly in full screen mode I never realize it until the end of the flight when I am shutting down.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Hi Neal

I don't have a clue what this means: "software is attempting to access out the bounds of an array."

Hi Neal

LINDA like most software uses an array or table of values to manage its internal workings. For example, all the buttons of a joystick have their corresponding assigned functions stored in an array or table - think of it as a letter rack with pigeon holes. An index pointer is used to reference the array and extract or save a value. If this pointer for some reason points outside the upper and lower limits of the array it is said to be out of range or out of bounds. The Range Check error message is an automatic trap to ensure that no damage is caused by the running of the software. The dialog box has not adverse effect on the operation of LINDA unless they repeatedly appear. I will in time using all reports track down and fix the cause(s), thus eliminating this minor annoyance.

I hope that makes some sense. If not forget all about it and enjoy flying.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

I have the same issue and a few more (loade-time, no sync to arcraft) with LINDA 2.3.6 now back to LINDA 1.13 and all is working again without any probelm.

Maybe a hartware-clitch, comming from the Device (Botton,Switch ect.) over the USB-Interface. A clitch can also be generated by short Software Actions.

Regards

Manfred Maier

Hi Neal

Hi Neal

LINDA like most software uses an array or table of values to manage its internal workings. For example, all the buttons of a joystick have their corresponding assigned functions stored in an array or table - think of it as a letter rack with pigeon holes. An index pointer is used to reference the array and extract or save a value. If this pointer for some reason points outside the upper and lower limits of the array it is said to be out of range or out of bounds. The Range Check error message is an automatic trap to ensure that no damage is caused by the running of the software. The dialog box has not adverse effect on the operation of LINDA unless they repeatedly appear. I will in time using all reports track down and fix the cause(s), thus eliminating this minor annoyance.

I hope that makes some sense. If not forget all about it and enjoy flying.

This takes me back to a course I took last year to learn programming in C.  Unless LINDA is written in C, I thought newer languages manged this issue in a much better way to ensure these errors do no happen?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

The LINDA GUI and core exe is written in Delphi Pascal something I cut my teeth on back in the 1980s.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

The LINDA GUI and core exe is written in Delphi Pascal something I cut my teeth on back in the 1980s.

how about FORTRAN....remember that? It removed the absolute misery of using Machine language. :yahoo:

Sadly, I have forgotten almost everything, even BASIC. :Sigh:

Thanks for the explanation. I now understand what is happening. In any event, Linda 2.6.3 works perfectly and is my top choice.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

I never touched FORTRAN. I went from machine code to Basic to Pascal to CORAL66 to assembler!

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

I used FORTRAN in University to as part of an engineering project to model the systems of a waste treatment plant (which included a fun and smelly tour of the real plant).  

Mark W   CYYZ