Sign in to follow this  
CaptCWGAllen

True or false?

Are these real world photos or screenshots from the most realistic flight sim available?

BTW for those of you who do not like to click on a link to see photos - this one shows all with only one click .............. and then open them up full size

http://1drv.ms/1GYpqBO

cheers

Peter

My opinion: I think it's a scam of some sort.

While the pictures are AMAZING, think about how long it takes... years and years of development to achieve such amazing results. Unlike FPS games or other software endeavors, creating a flight sim is a huge investment of numerous disciplines and resources.

Showing us that this is what he has "Out of the gate" even before a public announcement of development efforts is a bit misleading at best. If he used images from another sim platform, then I have to ask.. why even bother? :-)

I need to stop drinking in the mornings.. :-)

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

While the pictures are AMAZING, think about how long it takes... years and years of development to achieve such amazing results. Unlike FPS games or other software endeavors, creating a flight sim is a huge investment of numerous disciplines and resources.

Showing us that this is what he has "Out of the gate" even before a public announcement of development efforts is a bit misleading at best. If he used images from another sim platform, then I have to ask.. why even bother? :-)

Not sure what you mean old chap. Pictures are clearly X-Plane with some dataref tweaks...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I don't understand.

These screenshots just show a Carenado aircraft over either default or HD mesh scenery, and maybe some atmosphere tweaks. And honestly, there exist screenshots much more amazing (imo...)

Or is your comment ironic?

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Ack! That's what I get for drinking before work! ;-)

Wrong thread..... And yes.. these are amazing shots. For some reason I had these crossed up with something called /r/flightsim.

Ray S.

I need to stop drinking in the mornings.. :-)

Fabulous :)

Having the good fortune to be embedded with the cream of British society, latent alcoholism and incest are hardly alien to me but even I would hesitate to pick up the bottle before work of a morning...

Just out of interest what thread were you referring to?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Nice pictures indeed.

I assume you are being a bit cheeky with your question, because anyone confusing these with real-world photos needs to get their head examined.  :P I give it at least 25 years before we could be fooled by a screenshot from a sim.

Having the good fortune to be embedded with the cream of British society, latent alcoholism and incest are hardly alien to me but even I would hesitate to pick up the bottle before work of a morning...

Just out of interest what thread were you referring to?

It's this one:

http://www.reddit.com / r / flightsim/comments/2zg3az/fs_world_scam_or_disingenuous_devs/

(remove the spaces near the /r/ area)

Ray S.

Hmmm, scam wouldn't be my first reaction. Hopelessly naive, yes, but not malicious.

"Most" simulator shots are a dead giveaway because everything is too CLEAN and shiny.  Some distant scenery shots with a bit of fog or haze can be tricky.  We need more dirty buildings.  :mellow:

...from the most realistic flight sim available?/quote]

This yet just another pointless "i think X-Plane is the most realistic flight sim"   - given it was posted in the X-Plane forum.

This yet just another pointless "i think X-Plane is the most realistic flight sim"   - given it was posted in the X-Plane forum.

Perhaps... I think it's more along the lines of "Holy Carp! Look what this thing can do!" I've admittedly succumbed to this strange effect once in awhile. That quirky need to share with the rest of the world what you are doing in your basement....

Especially when it's capable of something like..... this.... ;-)

http://anthonyscottphotography.com/b1900/e1578d758

Ray S.

"Most" simulator shots are a dead giveaway because everything is too CLEAN and shiny.  Some distant scenery shots with a bit of fog or haze can be tricky.  We need more dirty buildings.  :mellow:

More dirty planes too!

I recently made a custom livery for my "company" plane in the FSEconomy game (a turbo Goose). I added some paint wear on the edges of the hull chines, and a little bit of smoke trail on the turboprop engine nacelles, behind the exhaust ports. It's still not anywhere near real world photo quality, but little things like that can help with the illusion.

OTOH, some things are still up to the sim developer. We aren't going to get even close to a realistic-looking bare aluminum finish in X-Plane until Laminar does something about reflection mapping. Right now, FSX does a better job with faking a reflective aluminum finish on a vintage airplane like a DC-3. In X-plane, a "bare metal" finish still looks like shiny gray paint. We don't need real ray-traced reflections because that would kill the CPU/GPU, but if FSX can fake the effect with old tech, then Laminar should be able to do better than this.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor