I want to upgrade my current system which consist of an i5 2500k OC to 4.5. I received an MSI Gaming 7http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130768 motherboard as a gift and wanted to build around that. I was looking into an i7 4790k and a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970 video card. I want to overclock this chip and wanted recommendations of which memory to get. I want a total of 16GB but don't know if I should go for 2 sticks of 8GB or 4 sticks of 4GB. I want to reuse my two SSD drives my 750W Seasonic PSU and my Corsair H100 cooler.

Which memory you guys recommend?

Would that motherboard get the job done?

Thanks

Seems like a good plan so far.  Mobo is fine.  

Go for 2x 8GB, usually cheaper.  

Memory wise, G.Skill has a nice warranty and good prices, and the Kingston HyperX modules are nice also.  Go with 2133/2400MHz memory for not much more money.

Don't forget to clean the CPU cooler block and reapply new thermal paste.

sig01.png

Thank you Max,

What about the timings if I go with PC2400 memory? I'm assuming the faster the memory the better. Specially if I'm overclocking.

I built systems with those five kits and have yet to see a significant difference.  TBH I usually use G.Skill more often simply because their warranty/RMA process was excellent when I had to use it.

sig01.png

Max,

Thanks a lot for your valuable info. I'll be ordering parts in the next few days.