Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

When to use the Estonian Migration Tool

I just installed P3Dv2.5 with the latest hotfixes applied and wanted to ask about the Estonian Migration Tool and when to use it.

So far I've installed:

• FS Global Ultimate Europe/Africa
  • ASN
  • NGX
  • FSUIPC
  • Navigraph FMS Data Manager

Still to be installed:

• FTX Global
  • FTX Vector
  • FTX OpenLC
  • FS2Crew
  • FSDT GSX
  • Aivlasoft EFB
  • PrecipitFX
  • Lots of Aerosoft airports both old and new ones but also a couple of airports from UK2000, FlyTampa, Eiresim, D.Chircop, FSDT, RC-Design

For the addons I already installed all went fine without EMT which of course was expected considering all those addons are P3Dv2-compatible but how about the rest of the addons I still have left to install?

I know some of them are P3Dv2-compatible such as the Orbx products so I guess those won't cause any issues but what about the rest of the addons...do you recommend I use the migration tool for these addons right away or only if /when I find they won't install normally?

Richard Åsberg

Most of the time the non installers will fail to find FSX and stop anyway. At least that's what happens to me. Otherwise, if I install something and it comes up with the wrong location for P3D just point it in the right direction and then add it to the scenery library yourself. 

That last bit only works for scenery though obviously.

Just have a look on the websites for the add ons you're not sure about. It won't hurt to use the Migrator anyway. I hardly use it these days but if I do, I just turn it off again once the add on is installed.

The ORBX Global product line is compatible, use the latest installers. ORBX explicitly disadvises installing not yet compatible ORBX Airports (all Regions are compatible already) using the EMT.

When I install Aerosoft/Flylogic/Mailsoft airports I use the EMT. This should prohibit installing the Vistamare module which inevitably creates CTDs (believe me, I had them once) or deactivate it. After installing any airport from AS/FL/MS double check there is no Vistamare entry in dll.xml and preferably delete the corresponding directory. There are some free (night lighting etc) updates available form http://simmershome.de/ (which I did not yet try)

All FSDT stuff is compatible. Just use the most recent installers. You can also use "somewhat"  older installers and install the most recent standalone Addon Manager in advance. I would suggest downloading the most recent versions.

PrecipitFX just released a P3D2.5 comaptible version.

FlyTampa has compatible installers for recent products like Toronto. For older products you can mail them and they may send you links to compatible versions (that's what I did once). There are (and supposedly will be) no compatible installers for some legacy products, though. Ask them about those you bought, if they are compatible. 

Some more recent UK2000 sceneries have P3D2 installers, otherwise you can use the EMT or (I think) even just point the installers to the proper directory.

In any case make sure you use the most recent version of the EMT. I would strongly disadvise using the EMT for products featuring P3D2 compatible installers like ASN or FSUIPC.

Just to add: Some of this is experience from 2.4., I am still in the process of re-installing all addons into 2.5 as time permits.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Aerosoft-depends on airport. Installer will probably tell you if it can't find FSX. Will know you need tool. FSDT have updated installers. FlyTampa has product listing on website. Look for checkmark under P3D. Buffalo and Boston might need the tool. If Sennett is looking at this, he can let you know.

Unless the product doesn't work with P3D at a low level (AES, etc) or is crippled by the supplier (PMDG 777, etc); it will probably work in P3D.

Unless the author explicitly prohibits use of their product in P3D (PMDG and a few others), you are free to use their products in P3D. Some will not support product with non-official installers. That's fair.

Forgive me if I state the obvious but the migration tool just fools the installers into thinking you're using FSX. It uses a combination of registry entries, folders and symbolic links.

If it is something like scenery, install it with the tool and go. A product like MyTrafficX will need the tool to be on whenever you use the communicator.

There is nothing unhealthy, or dangerous about the tool. There is no voodoo here. Don't let anyone tell you different. Just be absolutely certain you use the latest available download version. It has a bug fix.

I am in danger of sounding pontifical here (apologies). But to me, the most important software, apart from P3D, is a good disk imaging program. For the price of a high quality addon, I get peace of mind and can save a ton of time when I experiment and blow my system down the toilet. No suggestion here that you might do the same. It's just me.

Cheers

Or, if you want to save a few $$, learn to use the MKLINK command rather than EMT.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Many thanks guys for all valuable input!

I will go ahead installing the rest of my addons I know are P3D-compatible and I'll then follow your advice and check up on each addon what the recommendations are installing into P3D and use EMT when needed.

Good advice to use a good disk imaging application! Been doing that myself for many years and at the moment I'm using a freeware application called AOMEI Backupper Standard which I think works really, really good and it's incredible fast both doing backups/restores.

Using MKLINK also is a good tip but I already bought EMT when P3Dv2 was first released so will use that. Also using EMT will help prohibit "bad stuff" to be installed into P3D if I understood Michael's reply correctly which of course is a good thing meaning you won't have to remove stuff afterwards manually.

Sure it's a time-consuming and a bit tedious task moving away from a fully configured and perfectly working FSX-DX10 installation including all addons etc but at the same time I'm looking forward in a way to a new and fresh start with P3D now that the NGX finally is available. That's what held me off until now since I do all my flying in the NGX. My stand is that as long as I can fly the aircraft I want online on VATSIM and have all global addons such as FTX Global as well as other addons I use heavily such as Aivlasoft EFB I can live with maybe not having all my local addons (airport sceneries) from day one in P3D.

Well...time to move ahead with the installation and will report back how it goes.

Thanks again everyone :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Many thanks guys for all valuable input!

I will go ahead installing the rest of my addons I know are P3D-compatible and I'll then follow your advice and check up on each addon what the recommendations are installing into P3D and use EMT when needed.

Good advice to use a good disk imaging application! Been doing that myself for many years and at the moment I'm using a freeware application called AOMEI Backupper Standard which I think works really, really good and it's incredible fast both doing backups/restores.

Using MKLINK also is a good tip but I already bought EMT when P3Dv2 was first released so will use that. Also using EMT will help prohibit "bad stuff" to be installed into P3D if I understood Michael's reply correctly which of course is a good thing meaning you won't have to remove stuff afterwards manually.

Sure it's a time-consuming and a bit tedious task moving away from a fully configured and perfectly working FSX-DX10 installation including all addons etc but at the same time I'm looking forward in a way to a new and fresh start with P3D now that the NGX finally is available. That's what held me off until now since I do all my flying in the NGX. My stand is that as long as I can fly the aircraft I want online on VATSIM and have all global addons such as FTX Global as well as other addons I use heavily such as Aivlasoft EFB I can live with maybe not having all my local addons (airport sceneries) from day one in P3D.

Well...time to move ahead with the installation and will report back how it goes.

Thanks again everyone :smile:

Most welcome, Web. If you have any further questions, you could post them here. Some of us could look at the post and perhaps be of help. I've screwed just about everything up at least once...so I might be able to let you know what to avoid. If not, good luck with the install and let us know how you make out. I use Shadowprotect Desktop. It's expensive, but I've been using it for about 8 years. I oversimplified the EMT. There are registry entries, folders, links, etc; but also a lot of thought put into non-standard installations.

Most welcome, Web. If you have any further questions, you could post them here. Some of us could look at the post and perhaps be of help. I've screwed just about everything up at least once...so I might be able to let you know what to avoid. If not, good luck with the install and let us know how you make out. 

Thanks Graham, sure will report back and I'm sure I'll face at least a couples of issues along the way so might not be that long until I'm back here again with more questions :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Check your Aerosoft account too Richard, AS have released triple installers for some airports like Barcelona, Maderia X Lisbon 2 etc

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

For some of us who adopted P3D way back when, it is very encouraging to see the number of companies that provide either dedicated or dual installers growing.

I remember some of the cold shoulders and nasty comments from some of them when asked about P3D in the early days.

To quote an old US movie - "If you build it, they will come."

Well, they appear to be coming!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Check your Aerosoft account too Richard, AS have released triple installers for some airports like Barcelona, Maderia X Lisbon 2 etc

Will do Julian, thanks!

Barcelona for instance is one of the airports from Aerosoft I own so that's great news :smile:

For some of us who adopted P3D way back when, it is very encouraging to see the number of companies that provide either dedicated or dual installers growing.I remember some of the cold shoulders and nasty comments from some of them when asked about P3D in the early days.To quote an old US movie - "If you build it, they will come."Well, they appear to be coming!Vic

Yeah, I remember that too and I fully agree - this new trend with more and more addon developers jumping on the P3D wagon is really great news because I do think P3D is the future in flight simming.

Richard Åsberg

For some of us who adopted P3D way back when, it is very encouraging to see the number of companies that provide either dedicated or dual installers growing.

I remember some of the cold shoulders and nasty comments from some of them when asked about P3D in the early days.

To quote an old US movie - "If you build it, they will come."

Well, they appear to be coming!

Vic

What do you mean OLD......

What do you mean OLD......

LOL! Well, it was 1989 - I guess that's not TOO old.

:)

Vic