Sign in to follow this  

P3D v2.5 in 4K on a Titan X

Rob, lookin' good! Pushing 4k w/ 8xMSAA is no easy feat. Card looks like a good 'un. Could you perhaps try the PMDG 737 and throw in some inclement weather? My 780 really seems to struggle in overcast conditions. 

Aamir Thacker

64 bit is going to magically cure all of the rendering engine's problems while serving you french toast.

That's what will happen with P3D being 64bits :)

Actually, that's what will happen when P3D goes DX12...

One thing I would like to ask, what is the GPU load if you check the built-in monitor in NI?

Haven't checked but will do more testing this weekend.  I'm not entirely convinced GPU load tools are accurate, they VARY a lot from tool to tool.  However, Visual Studio 2015 is going to provide more "native" tools for testing CPU/GPU performance and making it easier to spot bottlenecks and/or slow running methods ... but that means having the source code, but I'm sure LM will be on VS 2015 soon after it's official release.

That's what will happen with P3D being 64bits :)

64bit will only solve VAS issues, if anything it means more folks will load 4096 textures which will just increase the demand on the hardware (i.e. lower FPS).

rob vids like this are evil to those of us with inferior hardware

If the hardware isn't in your budget, don't worry, within a year today's hardware is 1/2 price, 2 years 1/3, 3 years hard to give away.

Then looking at your settings I noticed the terrain shadow slider is at 0 and vegetation shadow cast/receive boxes are not ticked and yet in your video it looks like you have terrain/vegetation shadows 03:30 into the video?

Depends on who made the vegetation ... some custom Orbx vegetation (trees) seem to be classed as "buildings" and will respond to the Building shadows options.  P3D still seems to have a problem with Building Autogen ... from what I understand building are to unique so they just don't batch well so lots of additional draw calls ... that's why I keep Building autogen at "normal".

But Orbx NCA is notorious hard on the hardware so don't expect any performance miracles in that region.

Cheers, Rob.

Could you perhaps try the PMDG 737 and throw in some inclement weather?

You and Word Not Allowed seem to love to "test" with that aircraft ... how about if I do it with the CS 777 (it's more hardware demanding)? 

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob, you mention you are using ASN with P3D 2.5, I also have ASN, & 2.5  but I get an error message saying the 2 are incompatible ( wrong version...) So I have uninstalled it. On the HiFi website it says the version for P3D is compatible with P3d V2.4 only.......Could you clarify how you got yours working? Thanks!

Copy that Rob.

Guess my main problem right now is I'm trying to do everything at the same time eager to start enjoying P3D but to get there I need to focus on one step at a time.

Right now I'm waiting for some answers on the correct way installing Orbx openLC since I got some issues at the end of the installation. I'll then go on with the rest of my addons and THEN I'll come back to the tuning stuff.

Have a great weekend and enjoy your new card!

Richard Åsberg

I just purchased a 980 to replace my AMD, i hope it makes a difference.

Ian R Tyldesley

I just purchased a 980 to replace my AMD, i hope it makes a difference.

You won't regret it!  Make sure you clean out all the AMD drivers!!

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

You won't regret it!  Make sure you clean out all the AMD drivers!!

I'm also moving to a larger Flight Sim drive, so i am planning on completely formatting and reinstalling everything.

I hope i get performance similar to Rob's...not expecting the same level, but even 20FPS would be nice.

Ian R Tyldesley

Copy that Rob.

Guess my main problem right now is I'm trying to do everything at the same time eager to start enjoying P3D but to get there I need to focus on one step at a time.

Exactly Web - one step at a time is how I approach P3D but worth it 

Rich Sennett

Rob,

I realise that you publish the settings you use, but what tweaks are you running for the above video? When I say tweaks I mean anything that goes into Prepar3d.cfg that isn't available in the settings GUI... I'm guessing OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1 is one, but what else? :smile:

Thanks!

Simon

I realise that you publish the settings you use, but what tweaks are you running for the above video?

None, not even OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1 as that doesn't seem to have an affect on my setup (with the aircraft I've tried so far).

Just a question....How long did it take youtube to process this

Upload and processing ready for 4K res took a little less than 2 hours.  I use Adobe Premiere CC's predefined YouTube 2160p (4K) setting for export.  YouTube compress the 4K footage even more ... original file size is 2.8GB.

Cheers, Rob.

Nice video Rob!!  Look forward to seeing more videos and more results of your tests.