Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

This could be ground breaking news for P3D/FSX

Seems promising, will keep an eye on this for sure.

And I don't see any reason to bash Orbx for deleting the thread. It's clear their forum prohibits discussions about other 3rd party scenery development. Their forum, their rules. Same goes for Avsim, or any other forum. 

Seeing that scenery consists of bgl files, bmp files, dds files and stuff, how is that supposed to work?

GSX is an external application but as soon as it "injects textured objects into the sim", the sim's VAS footprint has to increase.

Hi Oli

Thanks, I think you're very close to reality. The "technology" is called Airport Controller and as I participated on this I have quite detailed info.

I'm afraid this will be not ground breaking. I believe it will have significant effect on FPS, but it's not a SW messiah.

The APC will be also used for Mega Airport Prague which should be soon released too. And as this is bigger airport I think the FPS-win will be more visible there. At least - what test show us, the airport itself has really very low FPS drop.

So, I'd like to ask other people here to calm down a bit - I'm afraid such discussions could self-generate sky-high expectation. What could only end as everybody would be angry to Aerosoft.

Do not forget, that every computer is a independent world, so do not expect almighty problem-solver.  Do not "develop" a novel from few words and sentences Mathijs wrote.

Despite all I wrote I hope most of the users will be happy with that technology :-)

http://www.xht-labs.com
There are 10 groups of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't...
Why do developers confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec.

I'm definitely looking forward to LDSP because of its scenic location and some cool departures and approaches.

If the Airport Controller does a better job than a certain SimObjectDisplayEngine (less stutters than with DD's technology) I will be pleased.

No way software operating inside an operating system can define to that OS where and how VAS is used.

Offsetting thread load is one thing, but I can't see the technical argument by uitlising a dll outside of the sim - it still uses VAS address space inside the OS.

Unless the dll can be run on a separate computer of course.

I'm definitely looking forward to LDSP because of its scenic location and some cool departures and approaches.

+1 On holiday there later this year so would like to practice the approaches!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

I'm afraid this will be not ground breaking. I believe it will have significant effect on FPS, but it's not a SW messiah.

Still.  Efficiencies like this, coupled with the new Optimize tweak should do loads to improve the overall experience for many.

I will beleive it when I see it!!! It´s like religion and *******, everyone talks about him and beleives in him, but  nobody has seen him!!!!!  :lol: We simmers are a strange breed! If I would have implemented everything people post on the net as "the magic for your sim" I guess I would have to reinstall my sim once a week! Strange that the developers of sims and add-ons never recommend us to use theese fixes? But, I guess all Messerschmitts out there know far better.  :P

Jack

the Swede in Spain

...but I can't see the technical argument by uitlising a dll outside of the sim - it still uses VAS address space inside the OS.

But if it uses an .exe file than rather than a .dll then each .exe file each has the full 4GB available in 64-bit Windows.

That's what the FSX SDK recommends:

The recommended method of writing an add-on is to build it out-of-process, as an application (an .exe file) rather than in-process, as a library (a .dll file).

But if it uses an .exe file than rather than a .dll then each .exe file each has the full 4GB available in 64-bit Windows.

That's what the FSX SDK recommends:

That makes perfect sense. But if so, why hasn't everyone done it before now? I find that rather curious.

Just add a 1 on your optimize all my airports sucker line in cfg file - lol kidding

Rich Sennett

That makes perfect sense. But if so, why hasn't everyone done it before now? I find that rather curious.

It hasn't been done before with airports, but it is commonplace with weather injection (ASN, OpusFSI and FSGRW are all freestanding apps), gauges (The GTN 750/650 gauge is a freestanding app) and other add-ons (Traffic Optimizer, AI Controller, TrackIR, Super Traffic Board, GSX  and a number of others). I have a post here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463728-is-there-any-prepar3d-64bit-information/?p=3191915

in which I calculated that I had 500+ MB of add-ons running in their own memory spaces. Does that save 500 MB of VAS in the flight sim's memory space? Of course not, because some of the flight sim's VAS is used up just in the communication between the flight sim's exe and the add-on's exe.

Unfortunately, the reason why this isn't done with aircraft and airports is that additional computational overhead is introduced via this constant communication between apps. What may be gained in VAS savings in the flight sim  is lost in FPS and smoothness. It's just a stopgap approach on the way to 64 bits.

It works for aircraft because i've done it but i haven't tried it for for  graphics. I've never tried it for scenery

Its a big and great idea but if LM released 64bit of P3D, than it will be unnecessary.

But I hope they will do that with AS A330 too Ö.o

Just add a 1 on your optimize all my airports sucker line in cfg file - lol kidding

Then while your at it add OOMs=0 under SIM section :lol:  :P

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

everyone talks about him and believes in him

That's much of an exaggeration. :wink:

add OOMs=0 under SIM section

You've just made my day. Thank you! :lol: