Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Flightstick

No no, not in my observation. The FighterStick is absolutely NOT more durable. Not from what I can see, anyway. The Fighterstick is made of lightweight plastic and the Warthog is all metal construction.

A theoretical examination would make you believe the Warthog being more durable. But reading forums we find many with issues with the warthog. Also many reviews strongly emphasis the Fighterstick as being durable.

I personally would prefer the Warthog in all circumstances, even if I had to sit it on the desk, and I easily think it is worth

I have measured how high 28 cm would be in front of my screen and it really feels to high. It will significantly obscure the screen.

As a matter of fact I'm concerned about this even for the Fighterstick.

I think when a lot of people start buying things like the Warthog, they start to get into the mindset not of how they can fit this on the desk, but maybe more of how they can start adapting the desk for the controller. At least that's how I started to see it. This could be a simple as some brackets and an underslung tray, as Alan_A has mentioned, or even a custom stand.

That would be something like this

http://www.conrad.se/Universalmontering-Wheel-Stand-Pro-Svart.htm?websale8=conrad-sweπ=1209854&ci=SHOP_AREA_83142_0409021

But of course that would add significantly to the price. Also since I don't use the computer only for flightsimming it means practical problems with moving the stand away when not used.

Like Alan, I also think you might just be better off sticking with the Sidewinder you have. What is your motivation for wanting a new joystick in the first place?

I just stumbled across this thread on the Roberts Space Industries website (hadn't known about this, apparently it's Chris Roberts' crowdfunded successor to Wing Commander) that includes a number of images and links about mounting hardware, including some joystick brackets.  There seems to be some homebrew involved, but on the other hand the prices are a lot lower than what you would have paid for a Joyloc bracket. Maybe something else here to look into. 

EDIT: Look at page 2 of that thread, too.  There are other options, including a floor-mounted solution from IKEA that people seem to like.

Like Alan, I also think you might just be better off sticking with the Sidewinder you have. What is your motivation for wanting a new joystick in the first place?

First the Sidewinder is no option. The software is not compatible with my Win 7 x64. And most important I experience this problem

'The flaw is that this joystick will occasionally not work (at all). Reportedly a charge of static electricity builds up and prevents the stick from being recognized by the computer. When this happens, unplugging the joystick for a few hours seems to fix the problem (until the next time).'

Then it does not feel smooth or precise at all (feel the same for the yoke) and I don't like the button configuration.

Want a new precise and smooth stick for flying stick based planes in FSX and DCS. For a stick based plane like the A2A P51 and a real life pilot has pointed out the Fighterstick as the best and most realistic controller for this.

I have also considered a new less expensive and lower joystick

EDIT: Look at page 2 of that thread, too. There are other options, including a floor-mounted solution from IKEA that people seem to like.

That seem to be the most practical solution. But wont this give problems with placing my rudder pedals ?

But wont this give problems with placing my rudder pedals ?

You got me - first I knew of these was when I found them yesterday in that thread.  Judging from the picture, it looks as though you might be able to set them up with only one table "foot" facing toward your desk, which means you could fit your pedals between them.  In the photo, your chair would be on the left and your desk on the right.  But this is all conjecture.  I'm not sure there's a way to be sure other than to have a look at them in person (if there's an IKEA store you can get to) or via measurements from their website or catalog.

The bigger news, for me, is that there seem to be a lot of people grappling with the problem of how to lower the controllers.  If you google "HOTAS mounting" or "HOTAS bracket" you'll come up with more stuff.  If I was doing it now and couldn't get the Joyloc brackets, I think I'd probably think about a chair-mounted solution - seems like that'd be most flexible.  But this is all so particular to individual setups that it's hard to say for certain.  I'd suggest some more hunting via the Internet - there's no cost except in time and there might be an even better fix out there that none of us has come up with yet.

Have you thought of getting out the hammer and saw and a few spare boards and making yourself a simple little stand in the shape of an "I"? Make it sit a few inches lower than the lip of your desk, and both your legs go around the upright, so there will be no interference with your pedals. Let your creativity come out!

Warthog.  Bulletproof, and really stands out regarding precision and keymap ability.  I fly everything with it, and it excels at DCS and FSX/P3D, especially when flying something with twin engines.  I fly my 777, 737 with it, my DCS A-10C, and in FSX/P3D, my IRIS Mudhen F-15E and A-10A. It sits on my desktop, and I've never had ONE mechanical or electrical issue with it.  I don't even use my Saitek Pro yoke any longer.

My $0.02 worth.

Warthog.  Bulletproof, and really stands out regarding precision and keymap ability.  I fly everything with it, and it excels at DCS and FSX/P3D, especially when flying something with twin engines.  I fly my 777, 737 with it, my DCS A-10C, and in FSX/P3D, my IRIS Mudhen F-15E and A-10A. It sits on my desktop, and I've never had ONE mechanical or electrical issue with it.  I don't even use my Saitek Pro yoke any longer.

My $0.02 worth.

So you have it on the desk. Don't you find it uncomfortable with the hands so high on the stick ? And I have heard that for the throttle a lower mounting is really a must.

Not at all.  I fly DCS for 3-4 hours at a stretch without issues.  The Hog sits to the immediate right of my keyboard and the throttle sits to the immediate left.  I don't use it in the center of the desk.  If I did, it would be very uncomfortable after a while.

To be completely honest, when we move to the new house in the fall, I will be using it centered from the floor in my Obutto sim chair and using the "bent stick mod" for better realism in the A-10C and F-15E.  But as it is, it works fine for me.

I mounted my HOTAS on some custom made replacement chair arms so the throttle and stick would sit at the perfect level:

HOTAS%20mount.jpg

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Not at all. I fly DCS for 3-4 hours at a stretch without issues. The Hog sits to the immediate right of my keyboard and the throttle sits to the immediate left. I don't use it in the center of the desk. If I did, it would be very uncomfortable after a while.

I just placed my Sidewinder on a 5 cm high box to get it as high as a Warthog to get feel of a high stick. Being uncomfortable in the hand was not the biggest annoyance. Instead seeing the stick obscuring the display was. I placed it in the center which I feel is the realistic thing to do with a plane that has the stick in the center.

I could see what you mean.  On the other hand, I worked on and flew in F-16's for 15 years, so the sidestick feels more natural to me.

jfri, you seem like you are looking for the "perfect" flight sim setup, where everything needs to be exactly the right height and dimension. I simply don't think that you are going to be able to have a standard office desk that is ideal for your paperwork and greeting cards, but that also fits within the parameters you have laid out for flight simulation.

I just placed my Sidewinder on a 5 cm high box to get it as high as a Warthog to get feel of a high stick. Being uncomfortable in the hand was not the biggest annoyance. Instead seeing the stick obscuring the display was. I placed it in the center which I feel is the realistic thing to do with a plane that has the stick in the center.

I have the Warhog and used the Fighterstick about 10 years ago.

For me, as is, the Warthog is just way too stiff for comfortable use, just hard work really.

I added a 100mm extension to it and the difference is night and day.

Much lighter feel and more precise.

But this means you will have to find some place lower to fit it in to your cockpit.

The Warthog has a cup and ball type design for it's base/shaft connection.

This means that the stick feel is pretty much the same in all directions.

What I disliked about the Fighterstick was that it instead has dual rotational axises placed at right angles to each other.

I always found that while the straight back/ forward/left/right motion was good, movement on the diagonals was not since the the two axises never seemed to mesh fully.

Maybe this is actually more like a real plane but I did not like it.

I've never used it but from a design/ price view I would be looking at the X55.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

For me, as is, the Warthog is just way too stiff for comfortable use, just hard work really.

I think I read somewhere that this could easily be adjusted by removing or shorten a spring

EDIT when I see the warthog being reviewed on you tube I get the impression that they don't need much force to move the stick