Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Flightstick

The same advice to Jfri, upthread, applies. I don't think you need to have the hands of a quarterback to enjoy the Warthog, but you might be surprised by it's size and heft, so I still contend that the lower you can place it, the more leverage you have, and the happier you'll be with it. I have a little table placed strategically under the main desk so that it doesn't block my legs getting to the rudder pedals, but it juts out so I can put the joystick on that.

As an update I can tell you this regarding what I have done and what has happened

I returned the single stick and instead purchased the full TM Warthog throttle+stick combo. After that I also purchased this stand

http://www.conrad.se/Universalmontering-Wheel-Stand-Pro-Svart.htm?websale8=conrad-sweπ=1209854&ci=SHOP_AREA_83142_0409021

and after that I also got a Hotas warthog joystick adapter for mounting only the stick and remove the obstructing table table

So now I have the stick in the most optimal position. Previous week I was at an air museum and got the opportunity to actually sit in a fighter jet cockpit (Draken and Viggen) and see the real position of the stick.

I consider these two addition to the Warthog to be a must to lower the stick. Otherwise I would have preferred the CH Fighter stick

I'm now waiting for an ordered 10 cm extension which many say that would not fly without.

After this a I now see a point in learning the DCS A10C and love it in stick based planes and maybe also yoke based planes. But I still have problems using the multi position switches in FSX (P3D)

The thing you need to note about the Warthog is that a lot of it's switches are 3 position switches, where the middle position is a NULL. You can deal with this in FSX/P3D by taking advantage of FSUIPC's ability to cause an action both when the button is first pressed, and also when it is released.

I have problem with this. The problem is that FSUIPC consider such a switch as only one switch. LINDA addressees this problem but with that I have the problem to sometimes LINDA does not actually connect to FSX and if it does it can loose the connection 

I still contend that the lower you can place [The Warthog], the more leverage you have, and the happier you'll be with it.

I forgot to mention I was lucky enough to pick up a set of JoyLoc clamps while they were still available.

clamp_master_product2.png

...Looks like they're out of business now :(

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

So jfri, you became a bit of a "cockpit builder" guy afterall! Glad to know that you enjoy the Warthog, and that some of the advice in this thread ended up helping you make some good purchase decisions. I knew you would like the Warthog! I've been thinking about the 100mm extension tube too in order to eeek out a little more precision from the stick (for helicopters), but I would then have to lower my setup even a couple of more inches.

If you're into the A-10 now, is that little ball switch under your middle throttle finger, to slew the seeker heads around, not the coolest thing you've ever seen?

I use it to play Il2 BOS before I got it I couldn't hit a damn thing now I'm usually the highest scoring player on the server.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I got the extension for a center position stick on a purpose built cockpit.  I absolutely love it!  I went with the 12.5cm version and am happy with it not only on helo's (flying the dcs huey) but also fixed wing (P3D and XP10).  Really makes hovering much less of a challenge. 

If you're into the A-10 now, is that little ball switch under your middle throttle finger, to slew the seeker heads around, not the coolest thing you've ever seen?

I just used it in the A 10C maverick tutorial. Still a little tricky to lock but without the TM slew control I doubt it's possible to ever learn it.

There's only two criticisms I have of the TM Warthog. One is the less than perfect build quality of the throttle pinky (lights) switch.

The other is that little ball switch under your middle throttle finger (sorry Ghidorah!). I have the sensitivity on that down way low to make it usable. (for info, in the real deal it's another hat switch...Why TM didn't just make it another hat switch we'll never know!) Apart from those things I love the TM Warthog.

If mine broke tomorrow, I'd order another without even thinking about it. Even though my simming revolves around Airliners these days, I highly doubt any Yoke would cut it over the Warthog...But never say never! :)

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

I was thinking about modifying my setup to the Wheel Stand Pro. What I have now works great, but if I were to get one of those extension tubes to extend the joystick handle a few inches, I would have to start thinking about a way to have the joystick ultimately mounted with something on the floor, not the desk. The Wheel Stand Pro appears to be the best solution to that. Unfortunately this TM Warthog Joystick Adaptor, that Jfri speaks of, that lets you do away with the "table" part of the Wheelstand, and mount the joystick directly to the upright shaft without the joystick base plate, appears to no longer be made, and I would need that too.

you might be able to develop a c-clamp that clamps directly to your chair with the Stick (minus the big 9" SQ plate mounted directly to the upper part.  That would put the stick right about the right place ergonomically.  In my cockpit I built up a base to mount to the floor of the cockpit and had the stick (with the extension) mounted to the base.  I then move the seat to get snug with the stick's base 

you can assign anything to anything.... anything. to. anything.

****since you mention the Dodosim 206 + FSUIPC specifically

Thank you guys, great information there.  I will be treating myself soon and this is deffo top of my list,   so cool looking 

I was thinking about modifying my setup to the Wheel Stand Pro. What I have now works great, but if I were to get one of those extension tubes to extend the joystick handle a few inches, I would have to start thinking about a way to have the joystick ultimately mounted with something on the floor, not the desk. The Wheel Stand Pro appears to be the best solution to that. Unfortunately this TM Warthog Joystick Adaptor, that Jfri speaks of, that lets you do away with the "table" part of the Wheelstand, and mount the joystick directly to the upright shaft without the joystick base plate, appears to no longer be made, and I would need that too.

What makes you think it's not available anymore ?

Just recently they have supplied a picture here,

http://www.wheelstandpro.us/xparts-hotas-warthog-joystick-adapter/

and it was not long time since I bought mine from a dealer in Poland (which significantly reduced the cost because of shipping rates)

You are correct, jfri, it IS available. Not sure where I was that led me to believe it was not, but sorry for conveying that incorrect info.

I got the extension for a center position stick on a purpose built cockpit.  I absolutely love it!  I went with the 12.5cm version and am happy with it not only on helo's (flying the dcs huey) but also fixed wing (P3D and XP10).  Really makes hovering much less of a challenge. 

So excuse the ignorance, but what exactly does the extension provide that a proper height placement (if you have the means) does not?

So excuse the ignorance, but what exactly does the extension provide that a proper height placement (if you have the means) does not?

Finer control.  A small movement at the handle translates to a smaller input at the base if the shaft is longer.  

Raven9000,

Just like Alan mentioned.  Gives you finer control and also has the benefit of having less effective resistive force due to the longer lever arm.  Basically, you can put it where you want it and it still goes back to center when you let go.  I definitely consider it a good purchase