Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Flightstick

I think I read somewhere that this could easily be adjusted by removing or shorten a spring

EDIT when I see the warthog being reviewed on you tube I get the impression that they don't need much force to move the stick

Trust me it is quite stiff.

If you a pretty fit guy with strong hands maybe it will not be a problem for you.

I've tried the spring removal mode and it just makes the stick way too loose.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

You forgot to tell him that he has to be capable of towing a fully loaded a380 with his teeth, if he is to be judged manly enough for the Warthog.

I personally would prefer the Warthog in all circumstances, even if I had to sit it on the desk, and I easily think it is worth twice the money as a Fighterstick (although you've found them similarly priced, the Warthog being about as good a price as you'll find).

I found this on the web and can't feel but being concerned. How would you comment on it

Thrustmaster Review:

I now own a Thrustmaster Warthog. I would say it is not worth the money I paid for it. It is definitely the best product made in awhile, but its build quality was not worth almost $500. Here's a list of the problems with the Warthog:

1) The O-ring in the stick tore causing a serious centering and stick force issue until I personally repaired it. This is a common and known issue and completely ruins the point of having the high levels of precision the stick offers.

2) The centering spring in the stick is too stiff. It reduces the precision necessary for things like close formation flying and high precision gunnery. I replaced mine with weaker springs to solve the issue.

3) The grease used to lubricate the two points where the plastic ball and joint connect inside the stick is inferior and breaks down over time. It will eventually result in noticeable levels of "stiction" that cause the same problems as #2--poor precision. I had to replace the grease with a much higher quality product to reduce this problem. It still isn't completely gone even after the "fix."

Jfri, all I can say about that review is that I never had any such issues with my Warthog or HOTAS, and have been very pleased with the build quality, durability, and precision. I think the strong tension of the spring contributes to its precision, not detracts from it. I've had my stick for several years, but I don't use it very much because I primarily fly planes with yokes. I'm probably not the best therefore to advise you on the actual long term durability of the Warthog, only that it seems to be built like a tank.

Jfri, I'm sorry that you're not satisfied. 

Frankly, the modification to the stick spring is a completely unessential one and has been overhyped via forums and YouTube.  I can tell you from experience that after about 100-200 hours the stick parts "marry" and everything is much smoother and easier to use.  This includes the grease.  For the people out there posting about this, they've never experienced the debacle that was the Cougar.

In real life, the stick in the F-4, F-15, and A-10 all have hydraulic dampers on them.  Once you start the engines, the stick is about as stiff as the Hog.  Speaking directly from personal experience.  And as KG said above, the spring is what makes the stick as accurate as it is.

My advice if you want; put it back together the way it was, fly with it for about 100 hours, and then make a determination. 

My opinion is that there was very little time from your postings that you asked about the stick, got the stick, and modified the stick.  That was really super quick to make a judgement that fast.

I have never understood how one can damage the o-ring.

Kattz

Any comparisons to the Saitek X65?

Dave

My opinion is that there was very little time from your postings that you asked about the stick, got the stick, and modified the stick. That was really super quick to make a judgement that fast.

Misunderstanding here. I have not got the stick yet. I try to decide which one (Warthog or CH Fighterstick) to order.

Misunderstanding here. I have not got the stick yet. I try to decide which one (Warthog or CH Fighterstick) to order.

Apologies, my misunderstanding.  I see now you were quoting a review from the web.  As you can see, I disagree with that person's thought process.  Sorry about that.

I found this on the web and can't feel but being concerned. How would you comment on it

Thrustmaster Review:

I now own a Thrustmaster Warthog. I would say it is not worth the money I paid for it. It is definitely the best product made in awhile, but its build quality was not worth almost $500. Here's a list of the problems with the Warthog:

1) The O-ring in the stick tore causing a serious centering and stick force issue until I personally repaired it. This is a common and known issue and completely ruins the point of having the high levels of precision the stick offers.

2) The centering spring in the stick is too stiff. It reduces the precision necessary for things like close formation flying and high precision gunnery. I replaced mine with weaker springs to solve the issue.

3) The grease used to lubricate the two points where the plastic ball and joint connect inside the stick is inferior and breaks down over time. It will eventually result in noticeable levels of "stiction" that cause the same problems as #2--poor precision. I had to replace the grease with a much higher quality product to reduce this problem. It still isn't completely gone even after the "fix.

No O-ring or grease problems with mine.

I do have a problem with the metal parts of the base having some surface rust on them. Not happy about that.

Definitely for me the centering spring is too stiff, thus the addition of the extension.

Agree with the suggestion to use it for 100 hours.

You will certainly have stronger muscles after that. :)

Take a look at this long thread over at DCS which tracks a guys development of an extension for the Warthog.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=99092

The interest in this product certainly suggests that many people agree that it is too stiff, for them.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Then you mention DCS. If you have that, then go out and get yourself the Warthog immediately! And make sure you get the whole thing, not just the joystick!

I just have just got the Warthog but only the stick after considering everything. Question now is if I should keep it or return it which I can do within 45 days at no extra cost (one reason I bought the warthog instead of the Fighterstick)

My first impression is that the biggest issue is that it is so big and so high. It obscures part of the display. I have mitigated this problem by placing some books under the monitor foot and placed the monitor a little further away. Also got a big keyboard that is hard to fit between the monitor and the stick.

Here the Fighterstick would have an advantage being an inch lower. Also I get the impression that the stick can be placed closer to the edge of the desktop and thus further away from  the monitor.

Otherwise I find the warthog very different from what I have used before. It is more precise and stiffer not sure yet how much I will like it or if I would have liked the fighterstick better

This is very much a matter of personal preference, so it's hard to advise.  The best thing might be to order a Fighterstick - again from someone with a good return policy - and try them both.

Side note - the internet has made our lives better in lots of ways, but at times like this I really miss retail stores where you could go and try out the hardware.  I feel the same way every time I think about buying a camera - a good camera is, among other things, one that fits well in your hand.  It's no longer easy to find if a particular model fits that bill or not.

Side note #2 - when I used a yoke and had to elevate my monitor, I did it with hockey pucks.  They're inexpensive, provide solid support and don't take up much space.  Better to use them unfrozen, of course...  B)

Again, it would be very easy to make yourself a simple stand.

Agreed.  Or, depending on where you're located, if you don't have the time or the inclination, you could rough out some plans and have someone build it for you.  I'm not much of a woodworker (am better with electronics), so when I built myself a darkroom a few years back, I drew up what I needed by way of a table for the enlarger and a custom stand for the sink, and took the plans to a local discount cabinet shop.  Worked out beautifully.  

I think if you tried either the Warthog or the Flightstick at a lower position, you'd find both of them easier to work with.

Again, it would be very easy to make yourself a simple stand.

I don't feel it like that. Have no tools for woodworking. And some kind of simple stand in front of me does seem to raise issues of something getting in its way. I'm more theoretical and don't know of anyone who would do a work like this.

Otherwise something like this seem what I need

http://www.conrad.se/Universalmontering-Wheel-Stand-Pro-Svart.htm?websale8=conrad-sweπ=1209854&ci=SHOP_AREA_83142_0409021

But in addition to a high extra cost buying from this dealer is a return for fund more complicated

I think if you tried either the Warthog or the Flightstick at a lower position, you'd find both of them easier to work with.

Here I agree. And the need for this is even more important for the Warthog.

The best thing might be to order a Fighterstick - again from someone with a good return policy - and try them both.

Unfortunately there are only one reseller here. And after watching some more you tube reviews my impression is that

for use on the desktop the fighterstick is better with regard to ergonomy. But I think while the warthog might seem a little bit to stiff quite the opposite would be the case for the fighterstick which also seem to have an (mechanical) deadzone in the middle

Otherwise something like this seem what I need

http://www.conrad.se...A_83142_0409021

But in addition to a high extra cost buying from this dealer is a return for fund more complicated

Could you just cut a few inches off you table legs and lower everything?

gb.