Got two questions for the forum:

1. What is the minimum install required to have FSX (and SE) see the X-55 system? Asking because I am having problems with FSX SE, FSUIPC and the X-55, particularly the throttle control unit. I have already installed , and un-installed the Madcatz profiler because it seemed to be causing problems with FSX and FSUIPC. If possible, I would like to use FSUIPC for everything on the controller.
  2. There is a knurled wheel (no stops - turns CW & CCW) on the X-55 throttle (left throttle control) that only the profiler seems to see. Does anyone know how to utilize this wheel?  I'd love to use it for elevator trim, especially in my A2A P-51's. FSUIPC does not see this wheel.

Haven't gone on the Madcatz support pages yet...figured that actual users might have quick answers.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

What happens when you are reading this page and turn the wheel? Does it act as a scrollwheel, the same as the one on your mouse? If so, then FSUIPC has the ability to process that for elev trim. If not, does the movement in any direction of the wheel register as a button press in the FSUIPC button section?

I don't know exactly what you mean with the first question. I would assume that "minimum" required to have FSX and FSUIPC see your controller is only that you have installed them.

What happens when you are reading this page and turn the wheel? Does it act as a scrollwheel, the same as the one on your mouse? If so, then FSUIPC has the ability to process that for elev trim. If not, does the movement in any direction of the wheel register as a button press in the FSUIPC button section?

I don't know exactly what you mean with the first question. I would assume that "minimum" required to have FSX and FSUIPC see your controller is only that you have installed them.

Okay - first question. Say I just took my X-55 controllers and plugged them into the USB ports, and then used FSUIPC to address them. Would that work? Or would I need to at least install the drivers that I downloaded for the X-55? That's what I meant.  I went so far as to install the profiler, too, which I have since un-installed. So - is there a driver install necessary, or could I have just "plugged & played?"

Second question - no, when I turn the wheel on the side of the left throttle, nothing happens. When I had the profiler installed, it showed up as a constant-turning control. It has detents, it doesn't turn smoothly. And FSUIPC doesn't see it at all. Would love to use it as a trim wheel, if I can only find out how it works.

-= Gary Barth =-

I have a Saitek yoke, and throttles, and i just plug them in and use FSUIPC. I don't know for sure if that works ok with the X-55, but probably.

I also just read this. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/442224-x-55-trim-wheel-not-recognised-by-fsx/

I'm still guessing that it acts as a button press turning the wheel one way, and a different button turning it the other and the post above seems to confirm that. If it isn't a mousewheel, and it isn't an axis, but you're sure you've checked in the button section of FSUIPC that it doesn't enable a button press, then I have no idea what else it might be.

I have a Saitek yoke, and throttles, and i just plug them in and use FSUIPC. I don't know for sure if that works ok with the X-55, but probably.

I also just read this. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/442224-x-55-trim-wheel-not-recognised-by-fsx/

I'm still guessing that it acts as a button press turning the wheel one way, and a different button turning it the other and the post above seems to confirm that. If it isn't a mousewheel, and it isn't an axis, but you're sure you've checked in the button section of FSUIPC that it doesn't enable a button press, then I have no idea what else it might be.

I'll go back to FSUIPC and see if I can get the wheel to show up somewhere - as a button or an axis. Could be I missed something.

As far as the controller, I downloaded the drivers, per the instructions in the box, and installed them. I then installed the profiler (which I have since uninstalled).  Maybe I should have just plugged the X55 into my USB ports raw, and let FSX (and FSUIPC) find them and use them. Right now, the last thing I want to do is un-install the drivers, but I will if I have to.

-= Gary Barth =-