Sign in to follow this  
Hernan1

Slew mode unable

I am totally shocked. A few minutes ago I was using my FS9 without a problem. I uploaded a flight plan that required a parking spot and downloaded an AFCAD file made for a very small scenery for SLOR (Oruro, Bolivia) and the only one I found was for FSX. I changed it to AF2_SLOR from its original format (FSX_SLOR) hoping it would work for me. All it did was to install parking spaces. I was actually looking for a simple scenery that would replace the default airport which sits inside a huge hole. I moved to another airport and noticed that my SLEW mode was not working properly. I normally press the "Y" in my key board and move around using the numeric keyboard. Unfortunately my aircraft did not slew as I always did in the past. I normally press the F3 key to move up, then, 1-9 in the numeric keyboard to move around the airport. It did move up, but It didn't stop with key #5 or move right or left with the other numeric keys.

I deleted the AFCAD that was originally made for FSX. Closed Flight Simulator, re started my computer, hoping this may do the trick, but, when I re started FS, there was no change.

Is there any way to recover the SLEW mode or is there a way to correct this error? I would appreciate your help. Thanks :huh:

Try pressing the Num Lock key, this key deactivates some controls and activate others using 1-9 etc.

It affects the slew keys, cannot think at the moment which other control programme are affected.

I tried that, but, didn't work. I'm tempted to re-install FS9, but, I'm afraid I may lose all my add-ons. Am I correct? :blush:

Only un- install as a last resort, wait a few more days for other reactions.

I presume you are using  the 1-9 in the numeric keyboard which also has the Num Lock key.

What happens if you do not use the "F" keys but just the instead 1-9 in the numeric keyboard.

For slew I press the "Y" key.

If you have FSX have you tried the slew there.

You need the F3 key to increase your altitude and F1 to lower the altitude. With the numeric keyboard, use 5 to stop, 8 to move forward, 2 to go back, 6 to move to the right, 4 to move to the left. 7,9,2,and 3 will slew in "circles". I use this slew mode a lot when checking around a new scenery, or even when flying cross country you can move forward very fast :rolleyes:  

Hi.

Have you checked that you still have the same keyboard assignments? Although it's unlikely, it could be that the FSX afd file corrupted your FS9.cfg.

In flight, press Alt+O, C, A and scroll down through the list of commands to the slew stuff and verify that the expected keystrokes are still in use.

Cheers,

D

Hi David,

I followed your suggestion. Unfortunately it did not work. It did confirm that the key "Y" will activate the slew mode, but didn't see anything with other key assignments to move around. I believe that the ability to move around in whatever direction was a default function and not a keyboard assignment. Just in case, I did reset to the default mode, but it did not make a difference. At the moment the only way for me to do it is by using the default Bell helicopter. I appreciate your suggestion. I will wait for more input before I attempt to re-install. :(

Generally when in slew  you use  the 1-9 keys e.g. on the number pad, which is usually found on

the right hand side of the keyboard.

Not the numbers found under the "F "tabs, are you using these numbers?

The Num Lock key is very important, press this if the number keys do not work.

Key 8 is forward, 4 to slew right etc, etc.

Hi David,

I followed your suggestion. Unfortunately it did not work. It did confirm that the key "Y" will activate the slew mode, but didn't see anything with other key assignments to move around. I believe that the ability to move around in whatever direction was a default function and not a keyboard assignment. Just in case, I did reset to the default mode, but it did not make a difference. At the moment the only way for me to do it is by using the default Bell helicopter. I appreciate your suggestion. I will wait for more input before I attempt to re-install. :(

Hi.

Sorry - this is a drawback of posting during teabreaks at work (no FS9 on my work PC).

Alt+O, C, A.

Select the 'Buttons/Keys' tab.

Click the 'Slew Mode' radio button.

Scroll through the assignments.

Let us know what you find.

Cheers,

D

Hi Dave,

• You answered my prayers :lol: Thank you! :BigGrin:
     Now all I need is for someone to help me figure out why my computer takes sooo looong to start up. Obviously there is something wrong with my FS. Once it starts, AI aircraft textures and even with some sceneries start all gray and it takes a while before they get "painted". I know this is a different issue and I will post it as a new subject.
  • Thanks again Dave.