Sign in to follow this  
ankh21

Flickering wake behind AI ships

Hey guys,

sorry if that is old stuff, but i was wondering i am the only one experiencing some strange behaviour of the wakes behind AI ships?!

I am using the fabulous AI Ships and Traffic packs to have some nice boat traffic around the globe. All these ships have a wake effect behind, but when i am flying high or watch out the cockpit to a ship in the distance, the wake effects show some kind of flickering. It seems to be some sort of z-fighting?! When i do low flybys, the effects are ok. I have the standard FSX wave animation, and as the effects don't flicker when beeing close to it, i don't think it's an issue with the effects or the textures themselves. And it seems to be the same with the standard boat traffic, so the problem might be a DX10 thing?

Is it a well known poblem? I did some search, but without any results. Can it be fixed?

Matthias

Hey guys,

sorry if that is old stuff, but i was wondering i am the only one experiencing some strange behaviour of the wakes behind AI ships?!

I am using the fabulous AI Ships and Traffic packs to have some nice boat traffic around the globe. All these ships have a wake effect behind, but when i am flying high or watch out the cockpit to a ship in the distance, the wake effects show some kind of flickering. It seems to be some sort of z-fighting?! When i do low flybys, the effects are ok. I have the standard FSX wave animation, and as the effects don't flicker when beeing close to it, i don't think it's an issue with the effects or the textures themselves. And it seems to be the same with the standard boat traffic, so the problem might be a DX10 thing?

Is it a well known poblem? I did some search, but without any results. Can it be fixed?

Matthias

Hi Matthias

Have been looking at mine again since you posted, as they were flickering like yours, just spent 1/2 an hour buzzing the 'Maersk Sealand' off the west coast of USA, and to my surprise I have very little flickering. so its not down to dx10, mine were a bit less again in spot view so some could be down to airplane vibration, or maybe. but the close ups of the wake are pretty outstanding and realistic.

Don't no why they have changed, haven't changed any settings except for driver updates.

I'll have a look at some more vessels.

bob

Cool,

thanks for having a detailed look again. It might have something to do with the FSX camera settings, so we get these differences between cockpit or spot view. But the FSX cameras are a mystery to me, so i have no clue if it's a texture issue or just a setting Thing (cameras.cfg or something like that).

I am curious about your experience! Please report.

Matthias

Cool,

thanks for having a detailed look again. It might have something to do with the FSX camera settings, so we get these differences between cockpit or spot view. But the FSX cameras are a mystery to me, so i have no clue if it's a texture issue or just a setting Thing (cameras.cfg or something like that).

I am curious about your experience! Please report.

Matthias

I'm running EZdoc with TrackIR 5 (just purchased) but I don't think its down to that. I'm sure its down to a settings difference somewhere.

I have a GTX 780i gpu and use NVidia Inspector settings, you could try these settings, that's if of course you have a similar gpu card.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tek387btw522sf4/24%2003%202015.nip?dl=0

don't forget to export your settings first before importing these.

bob

Thank you....

.nip? Is this a inspector setting file? I use a 580GTX and tried a lot of different seetings, but any change made a difference.

Thank you....

.nip? Is this a inspector setting file? I use a 580GTX and tried a lot of different seetings, but any change made a difference.

that's right, it's a NI profile, just import it into NI, MS Flightsimulator x elevated settings, (after making a back of your existing profile) if it does work import your existing back in.

The only thing that might make a difference is that I have a IIyama 2k monitor running at 2560x1440 res.

bob

Matthias, are you using REX? I sometimes wonder if my flickering wakes (yup, I have this issue too) are related to my wave settings from REX...

James

Hey Bob,

thanks again, but your Inspector settings didn't change a thing :(

And to James, yes, i am using REX. But as Steve pointed out for his Fixer, i do not use a water texture with a wave pattern, just a pure water texture. By doing that, i have the DX10 wave caps moving with the wind direction :)

I'm not using REX at the moment, (only the soft cloud standalone program.)

I have 'vary wave direction' ticked in the fixer.

I could try some Rex settings if you wish, just let me know which.

Just had a thought that I'm using ORBX scenery, not to sure that has anything to do with it or not!.

I can't imagine that ORBX has something to do with it. As the wakes are displayed correctly when beeing close to them with the eyepoint,

i think it has something to do with the FSX rendering procedures. But i know too little of all the hidden secrets of FSX :(

I can't imagine that ORBX has something to do with it. As the wakes are displayed correctly when beeing close to them with the eyepoint,

i think it has something to do with the FSX rendering procedures. But i know too little of all the hidden secrets of FSX :(

I think I agree with you on this, took another look today, came across another vessel, going up the west coast od USA, same result, slight flicker in vc on approach, non in spot view.. and non close up.

BTW don't know if you follow the topic by the author KL791 'Global AI ships', in his post 198 he mentions a fix for wakes for P3Dv2.5.

bob

Hi Bob,

thanks for your further testing! I know the fix for wakes in P3D, but i think is was more for wakes displayed vertically into the sky...and to be honest, i was afraid of mixing up my DX10 FSX installation with DX11 effects from P3D.

I run FSX stable for several years and i am not interested in a broken installation and a 72 hours repair marathon :)

Inside the Global AI thread, i have found nothing dealing with DX10 wake problems and nothing from any user who tried the P3D effects in FSX. Perhaps you know more?

Matthias