Sign in to follow this  
gpbarth

PMDG and FSUIPC

I did scan/search the forums before writing this, so please don't pillory me too badly. BUT - after fighting with my new X55 controller, it seems like the best solution is to clear the controller from FSX, and use FSUIPC exclusively.  After hearing all kinds of suggestions, including just plugging the controller in with no drivers and let FSX/FSUIPC find and use it (because of driver conflicts with both), and conflicts between FSUIPC and FSX settings, I'd rather just use FSUIPC only.

Now I have heard on these forum pages that PMDG products do not like FSUIPC, particularly the throttle operations. Pete Dowson has told me that (he thinks) if I set up the PMDG controls using the FS control feature in his program instead of the FSUIPC controls ("Send directly to FSUIPC"), there shouldn't be a problem because FSUIPC is just passing the native FS commands to the aircraft. If this is true, then there should be no problems with using FSUIPC only, with the added benefit that each and every aircraft can have it's own settings, unlike the FS command pages.

SO - with that in mind, anyone out there care to comment, or tell me about their own experiences with PMDG and FSUIPC?

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

With the proviso that I am using FS9, I have no problem using FSUIPC only (joystick is selected as disabled in the sim) with the PMDG 737/747/MD11. No joystick/yoke software installed at all.

I mainly use "send direct to FSUIPC", with the exception of the elevator and ailerons on the MD11 where the LSAS system requires control inputs for these axes from the sim itself. For those two axes I use FSUIPC to send control inputs to FS9 and it works flawlessly.

I hope you get confirmation that this works the same in FSX.

Peter Schluter

Thanks, Peter! Appreciate the input.  Since I decided to un-install FSX and replace it with FSX SE, I have been having nightmares re-configuring everything. Hopefully, once I get this controller issue solved, everything else will fall into place.

-= Gary Barth =-

I have the Saitek yoke, rudders and throttle quadrants. I have elevators, ailerons and speed brake controlled through FSUIPC using "send direct to fsuipc" I suppose the rudders would work too but I just never bothered to try  them.

Jerry Sterner

I have used FSUIPC for axes and LINDA (FSUIPC frontend) for buttons; since I started using a simulator, a few years ago. 2 yrs FSX,1 yr P3D; and have had few issues.

I just purchased the 777 and set up all of the controls either in FSUIPC or LINDA. Having just got the aircraft, I haven't flown it much. But the controls react correctly.

You can calibrate in FSX and assign in FSUIPC, but then you have that calibration for all aircraft.

Re change to Steam, I don't have that. But couldn't you use the standard.xml file from your old FSX?

If I remember correctly, it would be in ...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\

I have the X-55 and the Saitek rudder pedals.  I guess it's disabling the controller in FSX and using FSUIPC, then. Haven't had any experience with LINDA yet, although I have read some of the docs that came with FSUIPC. Since I'll be using FSUIPC exclusively, I guess my next step is learning LINDA.

Thanks, guys!

-= Gary Barth =-

I use FSUIPC exclusively for my assignments. I use CH yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals.

I use FSX-SE and haven't noticed any control differences from boxed FSX.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Gents, slightly off topic but related. Is there a step by step guide on how to program Saitek throttle, rudders and control column including multi engine..

Secondly I have the X55 HOTAS throttle set up to control the PMDG 737 and 777 bui can the throttle be used to control the PMDG MD11 engines?

The consensus on this thread is to use FSUIPC to assign/calibrate. The documentation is pretty extensive.

As long as your joystick axis is recognised you can assign it to whatever you like.

Peter Schluter

WELL - (This has been reposted from Pete's FSUIPC forum - you guys were helpful before, so maybe this time...)

I have been successfully using ONLY FSUIPC for my Saitek X-55 controllers and the PMDG fleet. The controllers in FSX (SE, if it matters) have been turned off. But awhile ago, I deleted my FSUIPC.ini file due to other conflicts, and started over again assigning controls to all of my aircraft again. I just installed the Real Air Turbine Duke, and set up everything with no problems. I want to add here that every aircraft I set up in FSUIPC is configured as "profile specific." I don't use generic settings for anything.

Yesterday, I loaded up my trusty PMDG 737NGX for a short hop from KABE to KFLL, and noticed immediately that I needed to re-assign the X-55 to everything. All went well with the axes: ailerons, elevator, rudder, brakes, trim wheel, speed brake...until I got to the throttles. I usually set these up using the same method as the others: Send directly to FSUIPC Calibration, choose Throttle1 (or 2), and then calibrate with FSUIPC.. This time there was no response from the throttles at all...nothing. So I tried using the other choice, Send to FS as a Normal Axis, choosing Axis Throttle 1 (or 2) Set, and once again calibrating. Nothing. The numbers move during the cal, so FSUIPC is seeing the controller.

Now let me state that I am well aware that I shouldn't be using FSX for my controllers if I am using FSUIPC, also. But it was only when I went to FSX, activated the controllers, and ONLY activated Throttle 1 and 2 that I got any response, and then it was the reversers that activated when I moved the throttles. So I went back into FSUIPC and removed  the throttle settings, and then the throttles started working. Now, in the past, I had this aircraft and the 777 working fine with FSUIPC only. So I am in a quandry right now as to what I probably messed up, and how to fix it. I haven't tried the 777 yet, but will do so shortly. I will also inquire in the PMDG forums to see if there may be a solution over there, but I know that Pete is THE law with his product and can probably point out my problem.

Addendum - similar problems with the 777 - when I activate either throttle (using FSUIPC, FSX controllers off), the reversers AND the spoilers activate - no throttle response.

-= Gary Barth =-

I have the Saitek yoke, rudders and throttle quadrants. I have elevators, ailerons and speed brake controlled through FSUIPC using "send direct to fsuipc" I suppose the rudders would work too but I just never bothered to try  them.

You can use the mixture lever for the flaps too.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz. RAM 32 GB 1 500GB SSD and 1 2TB HDD NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11GB WATER COOLED