Hello all,

I've settled on the below (I think) for my new P3D system. Does anyone have a similar system? Any potential bottlenecks or issues?

Intel Core i7 4790K Unlocked Quad Core HT 4GHZ/4.4GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 8MB Cache Retai

ASUS Maximus VII Hero ATX LGA1150 Z97 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA3 USB3.0 CrossFireX/SLI HDMI Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Pro Gold 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-2400 CL11 1.65V Non-ECC Intel XMP Desktop

Intel 730 Series 240GB SSD SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5IN SATA 6GB/S 20NM MLC Retail Package 

Western Digital Red 3TB SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Disk Drive HDD 

ASUS Rog GeForce GTX 980 Poseidon 1279MHZ 4GB 7.0GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 3XDISPLAYPORT PCI-E Video Card 

Seasonic PLATINUM-860 ATX 12V 24PIN 860W Active PFC 80PLUS Modular DC to DC Power Supply

ASUS DRW-24F1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer Black

Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Full Tower Gaming Case ATX 4 TOOL-FREE SSD Cages 2MODULAR Drive Cage 

Swiftech H220-X All-in-One Liquid Cooling Kit PrimoChill PRIMOFLEX? Advanced LRT? Bloodshed Red 3/8 ID 5/8 OD Tubing (10FT)  Ek Water Block EK-EKOOLANT EVO Clear Coolant (Premix 1000 ML) Premium PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX Warranty (PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased)
  Swiftech 3/8IN X 5/8IN LOK-SEAL? Compression Fitting G1/4 - Chrome

Best Regards,

Jim

Jim Vasto

Can't tell you anything about your water cooler of choice, but the rest of the system look perfect.

Note:  I would stick with Win7 x64

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I've just done a similar build.  Specs in my profile.  Early days but it's performing very nicely for me.  I use a Corsair H110 cooler custom-fitted (translation - jammed, and I broke a bunch of drill bits while getting it mounted into a CoolerMaster HAF X case) but I hear good things about the Swiftech.

Especially with water cooling you might want to try a mild overclock.  I've got mine running at 4.6 GHz on 1.275 volts - could push it higher but that gets me good results without burning down the house, so to speak.  

Agree re: Windows 7 x64.

Thanks guys, I will switch to Windows 7. I have been told that with this cooling I could achieve 5.0ghz relatively easily. I may give that a try.

Jim

Jim Vasto

That CPU at 5 will be a monster.. 5 might be tough though.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm also not sure how happily it'll go to 5.0 - you may have trouble getting it stable, or if it gets stable, you may be at voltages that push the temps too high.  But it may not matter.  I'm having a really satisfying experience at 4.6 with voltages and temps well within the safe range.  After pushing my previous overclock to the limit, I've decided to be more conservative with this one - the last one was stable initially at a more aggressive setting, but over time, little quirks crept in that I suspect had to do with the clock getting unstable, or the CPU degrading.  Leaving some overhead isn't a bad idea.

That's what's hsppening to my 2500k hehe... I'm now down to 4GHz... And eventually I'll need a new one. But I'm trying to cut down on my computing... Personal reasons.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

+1 for win7 x64

The cooler is awesome but to be honest 4.8 is more likely.

You will love the case, just built one with the 750d. Lots of room.

I would add 1 more SSD. One for the WIn7 and one for FSX/P3D and keep the other HD for back and other stuff.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

You're gonna run out of SSD space if you use very many sceneries or aircraft.  Especially, with the system and other peripheral applications running.  I just bought a 1TB SSD and it's already 1/3 full.  Of course, I'm an idiot for buying a lot of stuff.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

My recommendations:

• Upgrade the SSD to a Samsung EVO
  • Upgrade the HDD to a WD Black
  • Change to a Corsair CPU cooler
  • Stay with Win7 x64

I haven't heard the greatest about NCIX assembly, but as a seller they're pretty good.  Seems like a good setup.

sig01.png

Thanks again, I've placed my order and upgraded to a 512 SSD. If I can get a stable 4.8 I'd be happy.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim Vasto

Nice rig - good luck with it - my case of choice is the NZXT Phantom 820 (its a beast)  with CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme and a CORSAIR H80i GT for my new Titan X when corsair makes a bracket for the 980 and Titan X

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146096&cm_re=nzxt_phantom_820-_-11-146-096-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032&cm_re=corasir_water_cooler-_-35-181-032-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181089&cm_re=corasir_water_cooler-_-35-181-089-_-Product

Rich Sennett

Not just upgrade to a larger SSD, you want an additional SSD. You do not want to run P3D on the same drive as the operating system, as it may be running a scan or have other things going on. Keep the intel 730 240GB for the O.S. as they are very reliable drives but I would add another one for the "flight sim drive" stay with the intel, samsung or plextor as they are the most reliable.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Not just upgrade to a larger SSD, you want an additional SSD. You do not want to run P3D on the same drive as the operating system, as it may be running a scan or have other things going on. Keep the intel 730 240GB for the O.S. as they are very reliable drives but I would add another one for the "flight sim drive" stay with the intel, samsung or plextor as they are the most reliable.

I don't understand, won't the virus scan also scan the SSD that the P3D is located on?

Jim

Jim Vasto

I don't understand, won't the virus scan also scan the SSD that the P3D is located on?

Jim

Yes it will but its not just virus scans there are other things the OS is doing in the background (Optimizations, indexing) for example that are pinging the hard drive and every little thing is a chance for a stutter. You can certainly install flight sim on the OS drive but if you can spare $100 I would suggest buying a dedicated drive.