Sign in to follow this  
Poncho

A2A Piper autopilot question/issue?

Love this aircraft. After I have set the autopilot at my cruise altitude the plane fly's level and follows the heading, however a yellow light in the turn coordinator gauge for trim down constantly blinks and beeps (for the most part). Sometimes the beeps are regular, sometimes it beeps continually, and sometimes it stops for a short while. Can anybody tell me why it's doing this? 

As a secondary question I can't into the A2A forums anymore for some reason. It keeps telling my I have exceeded my log in attempts even after my first log in attempt. Obviously something is wrong, so I tried to sign up again and it won't let me because it says my email is already taken. Ya by me. So I can't log in and there is no other way I can see to contact them to get this resolved. I did contact the only email they give out that is for business purposes asking them to forward it to somebody that can correct my log in problem. This was several days ago and I have not heard a thing from them. Any advice on how to contact them?

Love Airplanes and American Muscle Cars

The auto pilot is letting you know which way to trim aircraft in order to maintain the flight level you set.  There are two lights that will blick, one for trim up and the other for trim down.  Hope that helps as far as the auto pilot problem.

I should have told you that this auto pilot might be a little different than other unit.  It still

needs manual trim input even once the alt. hold button is set.  Their is a manual in your

Piper 180 down load that explans the auto pilot.  Pages 3-7 and 3-8 talks about the trimming of the aircraft after the alt. is set.

^^^   yep, spot on explanation.  

The AP that still needs you to trim! ...... this is because the roof mounted trim system on this model of Cherokee is too old and has no electrical servo; thus although the AP can control the elevator via a servo, it can only control it within the limitations of a given trim setting.   So it tells you when it needs to move "out of range", and you need to trim accordingly.

Love this little plane,  i found out very quickly that Piper is Not a click and fly plane,  even though the Autopilot is very effective, it still needs plenty of on-going attention through out the flight,  with trim and that.   You really have to work hard to keep this little mover flying correctly towards your destination.   Well worth the time though,  very rewarding indeed. 

I'm glad to see this thread as I just recently bought the Piper Cherokee as well. Haven't had time to read the manual completely yet. I have flown her and it's easy to set the trim and fly it without the AP. I have a little problem on landing as the craft seems to drift to the right just before touchdown. I need to work on that.

One issue I had though, after parking and opening the door, it kept closing and opening continually and would not stop. I was not imputing the command, just was going on its own. I'll see if it happens again.

Jim D.  

One issue I had though, after parking and opening the door, it kept closing and opening continually and would not stop. I was not imputing the command, just was going on its own. I'll see if it happens again.

Sitting at a fuel spot? It's a FSX quirk to inhibit the door on a fuel spot.

Hi Scott, my log in name is T-Bone, or at least that is what I have written down and I've likely not had any questions since the 172 came out, so it's been a while. I also tried T-bone just in case, but that didn't work either. I'm thinking it's my log in name that's the issue, as my email has not changed. Thanks.

Pretty close on the year , it's a 70 1/2 Trans Am, Ramair III, 4-speed. 1971 & 72 do indeed look very similar. 

Good Autopilot info everybody. I did look through the manual twice before posting but missed the info. Luckily mppd5015 put page numbers in his post which made me realize we are talking about two different manuals. I looked a third time to see the link to website with the info I needed.

As I'm re-installing FSX on my new computer with a bunch of new add-on programs, I have a 1000 pages of manuals. Who has time to read all that, and how much will you remember. Sometimes you just need to wing-it (pun intended). LOL   

Thanks everybody.

Hi Poncho - with respect to the S-TEC System 30 autopilot that A2A have modelled so nicely in the Cherokee, there's a good tutorial video here. (It's by another A2A customer/forum member - Scott C.) Well worth a few look if you're fed up with reading manuals for now...  :wink:

I have a little problem on landing as the craft seems to drift to the right just before touchdown. I need to work on that.

Hi Jim - maybe worth checking to see if you've got a fuel imbalance which is causing this effect (more fuel in the right wing tank?). The Cherokee fuel selector doesn't have a 'both' position and this seems to catch quite a few folks out...

Cheers,

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations

I love the Cherokee, but it's a good thing it's such a nice little aircraft to trim out and hand fly.  ^_^  That said, it does make you appreciate more fully featured autopilots as installed in other aircraft!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Poncho,

Check your PM for login info.

BTW, not to hijack the thread, but that is one very beautiful car.  I built a '78 Trans Am with a 455 Pontiac with dished pistons when I was a teenager, from parts distributed by a company HO Racing in California many years ago.  I still dream of that engine and can still hear the sound.  Great memories.

Scott.

Login works great Scott, thank you for doing that and the compliment. I agree very fun cars, which I restored myself (except paint job) from the ground up. Doing a "Judge" now.

Nick M, that is an excellent video!    

Using FSX Steam I'm having a related problem and I HAVE read the manuals.. All of them :D

Whenever AP altitude mode is activated both my digital yoke buttons (coded to the FSX shortcut keys) and the analog Saitek trim wheel are disabled immediately. I cant actually add any trim until I disengage the Alt hold again. The 1% that makes this a 99% plane for me right now! So I get the warning messages to add trim but can't. Aaargh!

In real life I'd use the trim handle with my right hand but try doing that in the sim and concentrate where you are going at the same time!

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK