Sign in to follow this  
Don Quixote

Control issues (mouse wheel, left/right click) in P3D

Hi everyone,

I've just bought the NGX for P3D and already ran into some problems. I can't properly adjust any of the rotary knobs on the MCP (heading, altitude etc) by using either the mouse wheel or left/right click.

Adjusting the knobs upwards / to the right does work, but very slowly (scrolling fast with the mouse wheel results in a very slow increase). Holding the left mouse button also works, but here again the increase is very slow.

Decreasing the values does not work at all: When using the mouse wheel, the value decreases for a split second then quickly goes back to what it was before. When scrolling down very fast the values actually do decrease a little, but again very slowly.

This applies to all the rotary knobs on the MCP. Some others (the autobrake selector for example) work with both the mouse wheel as well as left/right click.

In addition to that, I'm not seeing any tooltips or the upwards/downards hand symbols when hovering over the switches (the corresponding option is enabled).

I've checked my eyepoint position, tried various views, restarted the sim etc. but nothing helped.

I don't have any similar issues with other aircraft, adjusting knobs by using the mouse wheel works perfectly except in the NGX.

I'm at a loss here. Installation and activation of the NGX went without any issues, framerates are fine as well. I only have one other PMDG product, the 777 for FSX-SE, which works perfectly without any issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Steve Hungerbühler

System information:

P3D 2.4

Windows 7 64bit

Hardware:

i5-750 3.4GHz

GTX 770 4GB

12 GB RAM

Alright, after hours of trial-and-error I've narrowed the problem down.

Apparently the default flight is the culprit. I've had a custom default flight with the standard Mooney, so I could save a zoom level etc. for all new flights. After deleting this flight (which restores the default one with the F-22 at Langley AFB) the knobs and dials in the NGX now work properly. As soon as I create a custom default flight, the problem reoccurs. It doesn't matter whether the NGX is selected from the initial flight setup screen, or after loading the default flight.

It's still an annoying problem as I can't save (among other things) the zoom level in a custom flight, which used to work perfectly fine with all aircraft except the NGX. Clearly this sort of behavior shouldn't occur...

Regards,

Steve Hungerbühler

I've had a custom default flight with the standard Mooney

Interesting, Steve... I also created a custom flight and saved it as the default, mainly so that I could choose my own starting zoom level. But I've had no problems with it whatsoever. The only difference I can see to your situation is that I chose one of the Maules rather than a Mooney.

Walter Meier

Thanks for your reply Walter, I've actually tried creating different flights with other aircraft, including the Maule, but no luck - same problem as before.

Anyway, I thought I'd try to be smart and just edit the default flight (the PREPAR3D.fxml in flights/other) - that didn't work either. So I restored the backup I made of the default flight, and surprise, now it doesn't even work with that one. Seems like I've been a real genius. :rolleyes:

I guess I'll start a ticket as this problem doesn't seem to be very common.

Steve Hungerbühler

Starting a ticket is probably your best option at this point. It seems no one else has any ideas.

Good luck! Hope you get things running properly soon.

Best,

Walter Meier

Well, I finally managed to resolve this particular problem. This is FYI if anyone should experience the same issue and stumble upon this thread...

It turns out that a faulty FSUIPC setting was responsible for the non-responsive controls on the MCP. I can't say which one exactly, but after deleting FSUIPC completely (check the manual for details), followed by a reinstall and setting up the most important controls, the NGX now works like a charm. Note that simply reinstallig FSUIPC isn't enough, the old version (including all settings) needs to be deleted entirely.

I'm unsure as to why the default flight seemed to have an impact on this problem, but after the FSUIPC reinstall it doesn't matter what flight is set as default.

Cheers! :lol:

Steve Hungerbühler

That Did it!  Thanks Don!  I was experiencing the same exact issue.  I would load my PMDG 777 and all of the push bottoms would only operate if I Right Click then Left Click over the desired button.   Sure enough I have a custom default flight.  After deleting that flight file, presto!  Everything worked correctly with my 777