Sign in to follow this  
Dimka

One thing about aircraft that annoys me.

Hello-

All of the addons that come out of our community are fantastic and awesome (some more than others), but with addon aircraft, the sound for wing views is loud and external. Now in real life, you aren't sitting out side of the cabin, you are inside enjoying the lovely sounds of the muffled engines, not the loud whine of an engine in cruize. 

So wouldn't it be proper for the wing view sounds of addon aircraft be sounds from the actual cabin?

-Just a thought.

FSX limitation unfortunately.

Actually, no. The problem is insistence on 2d panels, not VCs...

In most addons featuring "wing views", the wing view is a fixed view angle based on the 2d panel. This view system was developed for FS95, before VCs existed in any form and therefore, necessarily, existed as a defined view angle of the external model. Thus, a wing view as programmed into the 2d panel through the panel.Cfg will have external sounds.

However, since FS98, (and excluding the anomaly that was FS2000), all versions of FS and CFS have had a VC view that can have separate sounds associated with it. If a wing view is programmed as a FSX camera in a VC model containing a wing and cabin, it can make use of custom VC sounds, which can be made to be realistic.

In short, if you find this problem, it's because you aren't actually in the cabin and are using outdated technology.

Is there an addon that uses cabin sounds for wing views? 

Is there an addon that uses cabin sounds for wing views? 

The Quality Wings 757 (maybe their BAE too but I don't have it), and the PMDG NGX to name two that I know of. I'm sure there are more. 

Good info. OK...if I am using EZdok and create a view of a wing looking outside through a cabin window, will I get outside noise? Of course that assumes the windows aren't baked on. Also, I would be starting off with an aircraft view.

The Quality Wings 757 (maybe their BAE too but I don't have it), and the PMDG NGX to name two that I know of. I'm sure there are more. 

The PMDG 737 doesn't have cabin sounds for wing views. 

Best I can tell (this issue struck me as odd just as it did the OP), you can create wingviews that use internal/cabin sounds by setting a view based in the VC and then moving the eyepoint all the way back to a wing. The problem is--and why I think developers don't typically do this--is that if the eyepoint is still within the VC, all of the gauges and polygons are loaded. The external wing views that you're used to perform much better since gauges, VC polys, etc. aren't loaded into view. Either way, give it a try. Just load up into the VC and then hit Ctrl-Enter (by default) and hold on it for about 5 minutes... or.... much easier: set one up in the aircraft CFG file.

The PMDG 737 doesn't have cabin sounds for wing views. 

I was going to reply saying that you are wrong and that it does indeed have cabin sounds, but now I am not so sure. I took up the NGX just now and noted that the "Forward" wing views do not have an interior sound, but the "overwing" and "aft" ones do sound like they are in the cabin instead of outside (very muted engine sound combined with an electric humming). However, upon moving the "overwing" camera more forward, it sounded like it was outside again.  

In any case, the overwing and aft cameras fooled me until I took a very close look. I agree though that it would be very nice if more manufacturers could find a way to work these sounds in.

I have the 737, and I have to admit, for a few of the wing views, the sound us more muffled which is way nicer.