Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

What clouds are you using in P3Dv2.5

Recently switched to P3Dv2.5 and thinking about what clouds to use. In FSX I always used AS2012 clouds but would rather not install AS2012 in my new installation just for the clouds.

Haven't done any real flying yet so maybe the default clouds are OK or what clouds do you guys recommend? I'm using ASN for my wx engine.

Richard Åsberg

I copied over some FEX clouds ... Works pretty well.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Don't have FEX but I guess I could copy over the AS2012 clouds from my old FSX installation.

Have been a little bit tempted to get REX Soft Cloud, read many people are happy with them and a rather OK price.

Richard Åsberg

Got to be REX soft clouds for mid/low level and ...REX for all the others.

for me they are the best looking and framerate friendly clouds by a mile.

steve

I am using REX and REX Soft Clouds.  Like how they look.  Seem to work well frame-rate wise.  Using them with OPUSFSi as the weather manager.

Danny

Looking at REX clouds it looks like I would need to buy two products for a good result, is that correct?

Guess what I'll do is to do some flying with the default P3D clouds and if I'm not happy I'll start looking around more seriously for an alternate set of clouds.

Richard Åsberg

You can just buy REX Soft Clouds but REX4 with soft clouds is perfect.

The thing i would like to point out is REX4 has a tab were you can enter a ICAO code and it will give you the best clouds sky and sun to match that report, everything else is random but that does not matter the clouds sky etc do. Save the set as "temp" then in options just load the clouds sky sun. Loading the textures into the sim takes less that 1 second so you can have the right feel for the weather your going to  fly.

Note it does not always give the soft cloud option but just pick one that matchers. 

REX Soft Clouds are by far the best clouds ive ever used.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

You can just buy REX Soft Clouds but REX4 with soft clouds is perfect.

The thing i would like to point out is REX4 has a tab were you can enter a ICAO code and it will give you the best clouds sky and sun to match that report, everything else is random but that does not matter the clouds sky etc do. Save the set as "temp" then in options just load the clouds sky sun. Loading the textures into the sim takes less that 1 second so you can have the right feel for the weather your going to fly.

Note it does not always give the soft cloud option but just pick one that matchers.

That's a nice feature!

REX soft clouds here. Simply, amazing ! ^_^

And you're only using soft clouds without the ordinary REX clouds?

Richard Åsberg

Looking at REX clouds it looks like I would need to buy two products for a good result, is that correct?

Guess what I'll do is to do some flying with the default P3D clouds and if I'm not happy I'll start looking around more seriously for an alternate set of clouds.

You see I am not happy with Rex Texture Direct sky colors. They seem to be grayed out in the horizon. I use Rex Essentials and Rex Soft Clouds for low level clouds. The great library of Rex Essentials gives you about 100000 variations in colors. 

Here's what mine looks like with Rex Essentials and Soft Clouds

2015-3-22_10-27-52-923.jpg

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

You see I am not happy with Rex Texture Direct sky colors. They seem to be grayed out in the horizon. I use Rex Essentials and Rex Soft Clouds for low level clouds. The great library of Rex Essentials gives you about 100000 variations in colors.

Here's what mine looks like with Rex Essentials and Soft Clouds

2015-3-22_10-27-52-923.jpg

Yeah, I see what you mean with greyed out sky color in the horizon.

Impressive with the amount of combinations and I played around a lot with these things in the past but these days I like to find a set of both sky colors and clouds that will work out in most situations letting me spend my time on flying instead.

Richard Åsberg

Yeah, I see what you mean with greyed out sky color in the horizon.

Impressive with the amount of combinations and I played around a lot with these things in the past but these days I like to find a set of both sky colors and clouds that will work out in most situations letting me spend my time on flying instead.

With the amount of colors and that Prepar3d gives because of the HDR I think it's easy to find a nice blue sky. Because for example if your under an overcast deck your probably going to see fog at the end so the color of the sky wouldn't show in that scenario. I say that because we had a few snow storms here a few weeks ago and so flew around my area that was affected. In my area you could not see the blue sky above the clouds in prepar3d so it really works out perfectly for me.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

With the amount of colors and that Prepar3d gives because of the HDR I think it's easy to find a nice blue sky. Because for example if your under an overcast deck your probably going to see fog at the end so the color of the sky wouldn't show in that scenario. I say that because we had a few snow storms here a few weeks ago and so flew around my area that was affected. In my area you could not see the blue sky above the clouds in prepar3d so it really works out perfectly for me.

Of course it's impossible to find one single color that will match all weather conditions in a realistic way since the color of the sky IRL will always change depending on the weather conditions.

Richard Åsberg

You can just buy REX Soft Clouds but REX4 with soft clouds is perfect.

The thing i would like to point out is REX4 has a tab were you can enter a ICAO code and it will give you the best clouds sky and sun to match that report, everything else is random but that does not matter the clouds sky etc do. Save the set as "temp" then in options just load the clouds sky sun. Loading the textures into the sim takes less that 1 second so you can have the right feel for the weather your going to  fly.

Where is there documentation to back this up? From what I understood, every suggestion is random.