Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

What clouds are you using in P3Dv2.5

Tried quite a few including soft clouds but I always come back to HDE v2 for sky and clouds. Soft clouds are nice though, I use them in FSX (#5 is my favorite so far). They seem a little too undefined in P3D though so HDE v2 clouds resized to 512 px with ( quad, width*0.65, height*0.65 ) is currently doing the trick for me.

Coincidentally, yesterday I ran through AS2012, REX E+OD and REX4+soft clouds with P3D 2.5 trying to see if I had popcorn clouds more with one than the other....

I posted a slideshow in the popcorn clouds thread...it might help you see that..overall, all three products have great looking clouds when run with ASN as the weather engine.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/464547-popcorn-clouds-continue-in-2512944/?p=3205254

Tried quite a few including soft clouds but I always come back to HDE v2 for sky and clouds. Soft clouds are nice though, I use them in FSX (#5 is my favorite so far). They seem a little too undefined in P3D though so HDE v2 clouds resized to 512 px with ( quad, width*0.65, height*0.65 ) is currently doing the trick for me.

The HDE v2 clouds are that freeware cloud alternative right? If so I tried that in the past since I read and heard lots of people like them but for some reason I can't remember out of my head I decided to go with the AS2012 clouds instead back then.

Maybe I'll give them a second chance, thanks for the tip.

Coincidentally, yesterday I ran through AS2012, REX E+OD and REX4+soft clouds with P3D 2.5 trying to see if I had popcorn clouds more with one than the other....

I posted a slideshow in the popcorn clouds thread...it might help you see that..overall, all three products have great looking clouds when run with ASN as the weather engine.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/464547-popcorn-clouds-continue-in-2512944/?p=3205254

Perfect timing :wink:

Will check it out, thanks!

Richard Åsberg

I was using HDE v2 clouds for ages but have now gone back to the realistic default P3D V2.5 clouds. I also have REX4 but only use it for other textures not clouds. Too dramatic and unreal IMHO.

Using ASN for weather generation.

Worth doing your own comparisions. Each to their own!

Hope this helps

Regards

Adam

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

I was using HDE v2 clouds for ages but have now gone back to the realistic default P3D V2.5 clouds. I also have REX4 but only use it for other textures not clouds. Too dramatic and unreal IMHO.

Using ASN for weather generation.

Worth doing your own comparisions. Each to their own!

Hope this helps

Regards

Adam

Thanks for your input Adam, I think I'll start with the default P3D clouds. Although I haven't been doing any actual flying yet from what I've seen just firing up P3D I think the default clouds in combination with ASN do look quite good.

Richard Åsberg

You wont regret buying Soft Clouds, believe me! 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Where is there documentation to back this up? From what I understood, every suggestion is random.

I dont have to back anything up, so don't imply am making things up Its from REX themselves on there forums.

Go Read.

I dont post misleading BS 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I dont have to back anything up, so don't imply am making things up Its from REX themselves on there forums.

Go Read.

Don't worry David ;-)

André

You wont regret buying Soft Clouds, believe me!

If I decide to go for a payware cloud package I think that will be it.

Go Read.

I'm sure there's a smart selection feature in there, IIRC there's been a similar feature in AS in the past.

Richard Åsberg

Go Read.

Someone is a little sensitive, I never implied you made something up....and clearly stated "from what I understood" and asked for something that says that's the case. Because there are plenty of posts on here and on REX forums that say it is completely random no matter what the weather is so why don't you go read before you get offended by a question and have to be so defensive.

There's no need to pick a fight on a public forum with someone looking for correct information and something that backs it up.

I use REX Direct and Soft Clouds. Works for me. It's all rather subjective though.

Agree with Jim, the HDEv2 clouds and sky are really good. And the price is right too. :smile:

I use REX 4 TD "non-soft" clouds, #16 Cumulus Radiatus for low-level, and #16 Wispy Cirrus for high-mid level clouds. The Cumulus Radiatus looks pretty good in ASN "popcorn" conditions in my opinion.

I also use REX 4 sky colors, but I must admit I have altered the values for shadow and light quite a bit in them, I found the deep shadows on terrain and objects to often be too bright, and cloud shadows to often be too dark.

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

And you're only using soft clouds without the ordinary REX clouds?

In the REX4 control panel you get to choose what clouds you want to you use. once you buy rex4 alone. You get (I think) 15 cloud sets. But when you buy the soft cloud pack, you get more clouds. so almost 25 sets in total. Now you have the chance to choose either one of them. Sometimes you'd like to use the softcloud ones and sometimes you'd like to use the regular ones. As simple as that  ^_^

Cheers

In the REX4 control panel you get to choose what clouds you want to you use. once you buy rex4 alone. You get (I think) 15 cloud sets. But when you buy the soft cloud pack, you get more clouds. so almost 25 sets in total. Now you have the chance to choose either one of them. Sometimes you'd like to use the softcloud ones and sometimes you'd like to use the regular ones. As simple as that ^_^

Cheers

Ok, got it :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Don't worry David ;-)

:smile:

@ Richard

If you do get REX4/ Soft clouds I would suggest you use DXT 5 for clouds and DX11 for Sun.

I also use 512 res for low and high clouds.

All helps fps.

As for best set's well that all a matter of opinion, taste.  

As I know you fly the NG here is two from today, climbing though FL30 to FL35 ASN ofc  :smile:

rex4.jpg

Clearing up

rex.jpg

Am flying BA more and more at the moment because I cannot stop flying in and out of Aerosofts EGLL. Stunning and at 30fps(locked) why not!

This is my trusty Ryanair above. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip