Sign in to follow this  
Kerrydancer

FSX Uninstall

I am in the process of uninstalling fix due to corrupted file. The program repair option has not corrected the problem, so I'm starting from scratch with a new installation on a different drive.

The problem is that the program removal tool in Control Panel has removed the program, but all the files and folders remain in the directory. I can remove all of thes with the exception of one folder named Font.

Problem is that files within this folder are being used with "System" and it won't allow me to delete.

What "System" can it be referring to ? I can understand font files in System being needed by FSX, but not the other way round.

Can anyone tell me what this System is, and how I can get this folder removed.

Thanks.

Ron

Make sure it is the Fonts folder in the main FSX directory.  Many fonts and files are registered to the 'System' (Windows).  In order to remove this one folder, you should download a program called "TakeOwnership" and install it.  Once installed, go to the Fonts folder and right click it and select Take Ownership.  You now have ownership and you can safely delete the folder.  It's all part of the UAC security embedded with Windows.  They are trying to protect you from someone hacking into your system and deleting system files.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well, at least on my Windows XP system in C:\Windows folder is a folder called FONTS.  These are

all of the different fonts that your Windows Operating System use. 15 or so of them are also used in

FSX.  You don't want to delete anything in a Windows or System folder.

Like Jim said,  look in your FSX folder for FONTS.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I'm trying to remove FSX but am left with a folder named Font. The uninstall tool in Control Panel has removed the program but not the files and folders within FSX itself. I've been able to remove all of these except for the one named Font which contains files files which are being used by " System"

What is System ? I can imagine FSX needing the computer system files for some reason, but not the system needing FSX files.

Can anyone help.

Ron

This happens to people after either uninstalling either FSX or P3d 2. You can try two things. First, just do a normally reboot of Windows and then see if you can delete the folder. If that doesn't work, boot into Windows Safe mode and delete the folder. Then reboot normally.

Very rarely, neither approach works because the operating system itself keeps loading these font files.

When trying to uninstall FSX, the Control Panel uninstall tool couldn't manage the job due to a missing file.  I therefore had to revert to Revo Uninstaller which did the job.

However the FSX directory remained with all its files and folders.  I managed to remove all of these with the exception of one named Font.  This comtains various fonts used in the program, however I get the error message that they are also being used by "System" and therefore cannot be uninstalled.

Can anyoine advise whar "System" is ?  I can understand FSX perhaps relying on computer system files to work, but not the computer system needing FSX files.

I'm now stuck with the FSX directory and this Font folder and its files until I can find a solution. 

Can anyone help ?

Many thanks

Ron

Have you tried to delete that folder AFTER restarting your system?

Such error messages are quite common, it simply means that any other application is using or pointing to any file within that folder. Normally you should solve this issue by restarting your system.

If you are uninstalling FSX to install FSX Steam, make sure to read this thread:
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/462765-fsx-steam-edition-creates-fsx-se-folders-instead-of-fsx/page-3

Hope this helps

Firehawk44

My sincere apologies to you and to all other forum members for spamming this issue several times.

I was using an Apple ipad for the first time and was completely thrown by the totally different operating system.  Basically I couldn't get the thing to work properly for me and the smaller screen didn't display the whole Avsim forum page as I am used to.  Thus, I had little idea of what I was doing.  

After posting the thread initially, I couldn'e see it on the forum and thought the post had failed.  This happened more than once and was the cause of all my posts.

Once again, sincere apologies to all.

Ron.

Thanks for the explanation.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10