Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

Unfortunately, you confirmed that I heard right - Steam does NOT allow installation from a disk (later use). It still offers installation through Steam app which becomes a serious drawback - imagine downloading 13Gb of files each time you reinstall Windows...  :blink: Pfff, I better stick to my native FSX for now.

PS: "Immediate" or "wait after purchase" installation is the same thing, if one cannot download the files and save installation files for later use.

Thanks anyway!

How often do you re-install Windows to make it that big of a deal? It's the 21st century. The days of non-online installations are fast approaching extinct. 

Steam also installs as it downloads. So if you have a 1st world internet connection, it's not that much different then the old 30 minute FSX install. 

If RealAir attempted to sell its TurbineDukeV2 sell at the same price (€ 32.95) as the PMDG 777-200LR/F Base Package ($89.99) the market its sales would plummet. It's the market that deterrmines its selling price - not its cost.

Although you are correct, there is also a supply side to the equation. There are a lot of single engine and twin engine aircraft on the market for P3d and FSX. The TD is my personal favorite, but it has a lot of outstanding competition in that market segment. On the other hand, the PMDG aircraft are a step above any of the other tubeliners and there really aren't  that many that give it any competition. That's why they can ask that price and people will pay it.

Have been watching this thread and others and took the plunge this weekend / installed fsx/ se ( uninstalled disk fsx) on seperate drive. I have a 2600 k over clocked to 4.5 and gtx570. So far I definetly see an improved performance. I have seen posts that refer to smoothness and never really took much credence in them however after installing steam I am sold on this concept. I have also seen an increase in fps anywhere from 3/4 fps in demanding situations up to 10/12 fps in less demanding scenarios. My addons include Rex, asn, ftx global, fsdt airports, flyTampa pmdg ngx, a2a cessna, dx10 fixer etc. For folks on the fence I say give it a try in my case definetly worth it.

Just because something is the latest and greatest, doesn't mean it is it best deal for everyone.

At $4.99 ($5.59cdn), it's the closest thing to a great deal I've seen for a while.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Thumbs up to those who find SE working out for them! 

EDIT - My comment about flawed systems does not refer to their quality. It speaks to the fact they are 10 year old systems, running on current hardware, associated with complex addons. I dont have the mental wherewithal to discuss the technical merits of the simulators.

I agree with you 100% This is why I will stay with FSX and watch the trends before I sink thousands into a new simulator. 64 bit is the key to that future

Edited by n4gix
Deleted excessive quote!

It remains true that one must have an internet connection to purchase, download, and install FSX:SE

The fact that you must have an internet connection to install FSX:SE prevents me from trying it on my FSX computer. Fortunately, I'm one of those who have never had an OOM and my system is capable of running FSX at my locked 30 FPS with no stutters.

The fact that you must have an internet connection to install FSX:SE prevents me from trying it on my FSX computer. Fortunately, I'm one of those who have never had an OOM and my system is capable of running FSX at my locked 30 FPS with no stutters.

Just out of curiosity.

And how do you manage to get your payware or freeware addons without an Internet connection? How can you get updated METAR and weather conditions for ASN, how can you download patches or upgrades for your products, how can you read news on AVSIM without being online?

While I obviously respect such a view, I have hard time to understand it.

Anyway, even before the next beta will go public, there is already a way to download the installer and move it to another disk or unit, if you want.

Although you are correct, there is also a supply side to the equation.

of course their's both a supply and demand side to the market.

The point I'm making is that it's the  buyer (through the market) who decides the price paid - not the developer. Some posters don't seem able to accept that.

Just out of curiosity.
And how do you manage to get your payware or freeware addons without an Internet connection? How can you get updated METAR and weather conditions for ASN, how can you download patches or upgrades for your products, how can you read news on AVSIM without being online?

I have a laptop running Linux Mint to download the software, which I then copy to an external drive for installation on my sim computer. As far as ASN; I don't use it, or any other addon, that requires an internet connection to function. The advantage with my setup is that my FSX system requires no anti-virus software, firewall or Microsoft updates to Windows 7 64-bit; which is why my system boots up so fast and I can fly without the stutters which plague so many.

I am looking forward to a 64 bit system that takes advantage of DX12. Maybe that won't happen. If it doesn't, we will have to dial back our expectations.

I enjoyed your post as a whole. My first flight sim was in the early 1980's on my Commodore 64 - it was a wire-framed simulator running on an 8-bit system with slide-show frame rates. And at the time, I thought it was FANTASTIC! When showing it to a friend who was a pilot, I kept telling him "Look! You can see the outline of the mountains in So. Cal. - it's like you're really flying!".

So I've already "dialed-back" my expectations, and feel FSX with the wonderful add-ons is a marvel - especially on three monitors! Over the years, I've learned not to focus on things like what DX the sim is running - they change faster than Mickey Rooney changed wives (this probably dates me). Instead, I enjoy the moment, and am extremely grateful to people like Pete Dowson and all the vendors who have added such joy to this hobby, (INCLUDING DoveTail)!

and you simply copy over your Gauges, Sounds and Effect folders,

Peter, given that the list of file changes lists certain gauge files as being changed, will copying over  gauges from FSX-MS not cause problems ?

Peter, given that the list of file changes lists certain gauge files as being changed, will copying over  gauges from FSX-MS not cause problems ?

It's the gauges for your add-on aircraft you would need to copy. Easiest way, make a copy of your FSX Gauges folder, copy over the gauges from the FSX-SE installation into that copy (thus updating those that are common) then copy the whole lot into FSX-SE's Gauges folder.

To be safe you should probably do the same for Effects and Sounds, but I don't think there's so much likely to be a problem with those.

I didn't need to do this as I use no gauges at all.  J have a hardware cockpit and have a cockpit-less 737 installed for FSX (and P3D and FSX-SE).

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Was there ever any chance it would? This 'tweak' is something L-M added to the sim, not some previously undiscovered feature. :lol:

Even after ten years of hardware improvements plus several performance tweaks added by the developer(s), I still yearn for a steady 30 FPS at JFK. I can't help it. :lol:

This thread would deserve attention by sociologists as perfect example as to how many people form their own opinions based on bias.

A textbook example for a NASCAR thread, because it goes in circles for about 400 times.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Not true. As long as your SCENERY.CFG is set with full pathnames so you can use it in both FSX and FSX-SE, and similarly for the SimObjects paths in the FS CFG file, and you simply copy over your Gauges, Sounds and Effect folders, and you copy over your EXE.xml and DLL,xml files (only setting Disabled TRUE for those not yet compatible -- which is not many!), then pretty much everything which worked in FSX is the same in FSX-SE. 

Pete, if my scenery.cfg is the opposite (full pathnames caused problems in Scenery Config Editor so I removed all the ones I found--there weren't many to begin with in any case....), is there an easy way to put them back in that you're aware of? Also, have you ever used Scenery Config Editor by any chance? It's been very useful but I wonder if it's even possible to use it with full pathnames.

Are you using a side-by-side installation or did you uninstall FSX and move over copies of its files to a new "clean" installation?

Thanks,

James