Sign in to follow this  
Speedbird_2652

Choose install path for OC manually

Hi all,

I was re-installing my Windows as well as my Sim, and after I finished, I noticed that the PMDG Operations Center had installed itself onto my Solid-State-Drive (SSD). 

Now, my SSD is where my Windows is installed, too - I guess that's why PMDG moved the OC there. But space on most SSDs is limited, and I don't really see why the OC would need to be on the same drive as Windows. 

So, if anyone cares to enlighten me...is there a way I can change the OC path? 

It is installed into the Programs(x86) directory, along with most any other program you install.  I am using a SSD for the system drive and don't understand your hesitation to use it, it's a great technology getting cheaper every month.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'd like to save the space on my SSD for programs that actually benefit from the higher speed. I don't see why the OC needs those resources, as opposed to programs like Photoshop, Lightroom etc.

Check the owner of the files, move them to whereever you want, open cmd (either as your user or if the files are owned by admin then open it as admin) and create a link:

mklink D:\whereever\you\want C:\Progra~1\PMDG_blabla

Google for it if you have questions regarding soft- and hardlinks etc... If you enter mklink it shows a help to you.

It works on my side but you won't have any support from PMDG regarding this!

The OC can be run from any location - it's not dependent on being in Program Files (x86) or on the C: drive. Move it to wherever you like.

The folder that uses up the most space is actually the one that's in AppData\Roaming\PMDG\PMDG Operations Center though - we cache liveries you've downloaded there to reduce load and bandwidth on our download server. You'll want to periodically clean that folder out if you're really that concerned about space. As long as you have free space on the SSD though, I don't see how any of this is a problem. The whole idea with SSDs is to have Windows and your programs and things that should load instantly like that on the SSD - disk caching into RAM at launch time is one of the primary reasons normal HDs seem slow when launching programs.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com