Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

DSR yes or no?

I just did my first P3D flight in the NGX DFW-MIA (FSDT-LatinVFR). I was getting 30+FPS and it was very smooth on final, very happy with the results. However, the AA isn't the greatest and I can live with it, but I'm worried about Performance when I'm flying into areas like New York, Miami etc with a lot of cloud cover. So, should I use DSR or stick with what I have? What are most people using in P3D, I'm very new at this and if there is a DSR guide (I don't know anything about it) can someone send a link?

win7x64
i2500k OC 4.8ghz

GTX 970

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Can't hurt to try it out for yourself. After years running SGSS in NI with FSX and now P3D, I have finally dropped her for DSR x2.0 with 20 smoothing. Does the same job as SGSS with less overhead through clouds. Your 970 Maxwell card should efficiently run DSR aswell, so it wont hurt. You could even run SGSS over that if your feeling frisky.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Im running 4x SGSS in NVI, FXAA OFF in P3D and 4x AA in P3D. Is there a Guide to doing this whole DSR thing, I have no idea where to start.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I used to use it.   But not any-more as it wasn't making a difference in simulator performance.  So i don't bother.   P3D is a strange beast. 

Also used to use it in XPX but its no longer needed what ever they have done with XPX now requires no DSR .   

But this is my impression i suggest you just give it a go yourself.

Hey Ron,

-open the Nvidia Control Panel

-open 3D settings

-go to the Global tab

-select DSR

-as an experiment you can check 1.5 and 2

-the default smoothing option is .33 select that

-dont use the higher resolution yet

-open P3D and load a flight

-go to options -> display and choose the resolution that is 1.5 or 2.0 times your normal maximum

-OK out

-back in the flight hit ALT + ENTER to go into full screen mode

-that will give you the effect

-you'll notice that text is much smaller

Suggest you not exit P3D in that state. Go back to windowed mode b4 exit. Otherwise Windows will be in DSR mode.

Im running 4x SGSS in NVI, FXAA OFF in P3D and 4x AA in P3D.

I am running exactly the same settings on my i7-2600K@,4.3Ghz with GTX970 (27" single monitor) and for me it is the best compromise between looks and performance. I prefer this over using DSR.

My main concern with DSR is that it looks 'darker' on my monitor/system, I don't like the small menus, I do not see much AA improvement, while performance is under pressure. But maybe I missed some sweet spot setting. :)

I also have a 2600k and a gtx970. I'm using DSR 4x and 2x msaa 16x anisotropic texture filtering. At kmia with 30% airline traffic Latin VFR scenery and NGX average 24-30. It's important for me to note that I get more FPS when running unlocked frames. If I lock them the FPS go down to about 20-24.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Ok..I'm having second thoughts about DSR. If you adjust smoothing down to 10%, AA is about as horrible as ever. The reason I decreased this value is that smoothing softens the image like FXAA. So at the end of the day, DSR is pointless in my book. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

DSR recreates a smaller image from the source image as accurately as possible, rather than make that image Anti-Aliased (although we can use the smoothing setting). Even so it's a good way to create an AA like image. To DSR or not, depends on the monitor size and the image quality expectations of the viewer. With a 1920x1200 monitor I found 2.0 or less DSR with a mild AA setting gave a very nice result without generating too much overhead.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I'm still testing, but you are right. 2.0 seems to be the best for my monitor, but I'm not too keen on how it softens the image. Just can't win in this hobby.

Also tried DSR but I needed a microscope to read any text on screen so now just run in-sim settings and put up with the odd bit of shimmering. I get 60fps on average which is fantastic on my old PC.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Also tried DSR but I needed a microscope to read any text on screen so now just run in-sim settings and put up with the odd bit of shimmering. I get 60fps on average which is fantastic on my old PC.

Bumping Window's text size up to 150% in control panel gives readable text.

Still not pretty but readable.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

How to do spell snake-oil? Good thing its free.  :rolleyes:

you spell it S N A K E  O I L ... Infact you have spelled it correctly.  And you in the wrong discussion as well you should be in a topic related to spelling not discussing DSR.   

I assume you are from a non English speaking country or it is not native to you since you have made such a error.

I'm trying to brink back the '-' thingy. Underused and underrated. Or is that under-used and under-rated? ;)

O I see forgive me.

I found to get best results you need 4x DSR, as anything below is just not good enough.

There is very little performance hit between say 2x DSR and 4x DSR, as long as your card can do it.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11