Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

Great alternative sound pack for the PMDG NGX

I've not posted this in the PMDG forum sections, because it's not an official PMDG modification - if I got that wrong, mods, please feel free to move the thread.  Thanks

I came across a really great new sound pack for the PMDG NGX, in the AVSIM File Library yesterday. It's a relatively new sound pack for the NGX (released in December past).

It's by SkyHigh Audio.

Personally I think it's an improvement over the stock PMDG sounds for the NGX.   The engine sounds are more muted or muffled a little, which sound more realistic for what you'd hear from the flight deck of an NG.    They are lower frequency (more bass), so more 'rumble' based.  There's also a new avionics fan sound; which is more metallic and gritty; a little more like the real fan sounds I've noted in an NG.

Anyway, try it out, you've nothing to lose because it's free :smile: ...... just back up your existing Sound folder before installing.

Here we go ;-   http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=187721

and thank you to the creators of this.

Cheers.

Does it replace all 500+ sounds, or keep some sounds and replace only some?

Interesting....I will check it out

Regis Biassala 

I've not posted this in the PMDG forum sections, because it's not an official PMDG modification

There are many payware and freeware mods to the PMDG sounds. You are really not modifying the aircraft but replacing the sounds and I see no problems with that. So, you could have posted here or in the PMDG forums. I personally think you posted it in the right place.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim.

Does it replace all 500+ sounds, or keep some sounds and replace only some?

Not sure to be honest, I've not looked.   But as Jim said there are many payware sound packs for the NGX (I own 2 or 3) and I'd probably rate this freeware offering as the most superior that I've heard.  

Tried this soundset earlier, I liked the default one better, especially buzz sounds are way better.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Excellent suggestion. Will try that one at the weekend. Thanks for the hu. :smile:

The engine sounds are more muted or muffled a little[...] There's also a new avionics fan sound

Seem like the best parts for me. Also thanks to the authors for offering their work for free.

I'm a big fan of SAS sound packs, in majority they are much better then default, even that came with payware airplanes. Their sound pack for 757 is the best out there, I've used it in QW. And yes, and always, thanks goes to the authors for offering their work for free.

cheers 

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Any samples on YouTube or something. I'm at a layover and can't see for my self on my iPad.

+1. I never really thought the NGX sound pack was that great so I will probably give this a try.

I have various bit and pieces of addon sound packs for the NGX and am reasonably happy with it but always looking for further fine tuning.

I recently copied the altitude callouts from a VA Acars because they sounded 100% clearer than the default NGX's.

Even though PMDG say the sounds were all recorded in the cockpit it makes you wonder how good the recording equipment they used was or maybe over compressed sound files.

Steve

Any samples on YouTube or something. I'm at a layover and can't see for my self on my iPad.

Here you go :)

Downloaded it, I cant hear anything after 35% N1. Just wind. Going back to original. 

There is definitely sound above 35% N1.  I've listened to the source files and it's there. May be your sound level settings in the sim, or if your speakers / headset cannot reproduce the extended bass frequencies, then perhaps you're not hearing the sounds.   Probably best in your case to revert to the originals, which have more high frequency content.

Great job all working well. But its awfull quiet after applying a certain TO thrust even full thrust. you can still hear the noise but its really faint worse than the original noise? I'm not a pilot so not sure if this is normal guys?

Vernon Howells

Great job all working well. But its awfull quiet after applying a certain TO thrust even full thrust. you can still hear the noise but its really faint worse than the original noise? I'm not a pilot so not sure if this is normal guys?

I think that's what this sound pack is purposely trying to represent - the sound from the cockpit when thrust is set, roll and wind noises build, and engine noises are reduced to more of a rumble, with a lower high frequency fan buzz.    But of course, sound is a very subjective and personal thing is the sim;  some simmers may prefer a more dramatic engine sound, more akin to what you'd hear when sitting behind the wing, in the cabin.