Sign in to follow this  
cptrobie

How to reduce VAS usage via SceneryConfigEditor?

Hi all,

Looking for some help on how to properly configure SceneryConfigEditor (SCE) for the following scenario with the goal of lowering overall VAS usage.

Lets say I want to fly a flight where both the DEP and ARR airports are 3rd party airports that I have installed - as an example:

DEP airport: FlightBeams' KIAD

ARR airport: FSDreamTeams' PHNL

ACFT: PMDG T7

I have the above airports "checked" in SCE

I also have all the FSX Base entries "checked" in SCE

I have all other payware and FSX specific airports "unchecked" in SCE.

Are the SCE settings I have listed above correct?

Do I need to have SCE entries like Eastcoast North America or Pacific Oceania checked too?

Looking forward to hearing from the "Been There Done That" crowd...

It's okay using that program to unable scenery not being used but no good at all if you don't 'save' it afterwards. ;-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

You should only be concerned with photoscenery in regards to VAS usage in the scenery.cfg. Photoscenery enabled in scenery.cfg and not near your flight plan will still load so, of course, you would want to disable that. Pacific Oceania will not load as it is not in the radius of your flightplan so you can leave it enabled. You probably would want to have East Coast North America checked as it sounds like an enhancement to the default scenery. I'm guessing it is not photoscenery and only the parts of it that are in the radius of your flight plan will be loaded during your flight. Very insignificant amounts.

FlightBeam KIAD and FSDT KPHL are resource intensive so expect low fps in and around those airports. I do not think they will load until you are within 100 miles of their location.

The AVSIM CTD Guide has a setup guide for setting up the Process Monitor program so that you can monitor only what is being loaded into FSX/P3D/FSX-SE/X-Plane at startup and during a flight. It's always good to know what is loading during a flight between KIAD and KPHL. You could be surprised. If you have any Orbx/FTX scenery enabled it will mostly not load if you are not around it but, if you have Autogen enabled, the Autogen from those programs will load whether you are flying near the areas or not as those .bgl's are normally located in the scenery/world/scenery folder and everything in that folder is loaded during a flight no matter where you fly in the world. I discovered this on a short flight from Chicago to St Louis once with the Process Monitor running. I saw scenery loading from the Orbx/FTX PNW areas and I knew I had disabled the Orbx scenery. Evidently the autogen was not disabled too (I think they put a .XXX extension on the files in the scenery/world/scenery folder) when I used FTX Central to return FSX back to the default. If I had not used the process monitor program I would have never discovered this fact.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you Jim,

I will take your advice and  DL the AVSIM CTD Guide and then install the Proc Mon to see first hand what gets loaded.