Sign in to follow this  
Alex Kulak

PMDG 737 WXR not displaying turbulence

I know what it's supposed to look like on the WXR, and I've experienced turbulence in the aircraft on several post 1D flights, but haven't seen it reflected on the WXR.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

The PMDG/ASN radar only captures PRECIPITATION as per the SP1d manual and the 777 PMDG Manual

WX+T = Weather + T (Traffic)

The PMDG/ASN radar only captures PRECIPITATION as per the SP1d manual and the 777 PMDG Manual

WX+T = Weather + T (Traffic)

No...weather radar doesn't do traffic....that's TCAS.

WX+T = Weather + Threat

https://www.rockwellcollins.com/~/media/Files/Unsecure/Products/Product%20Brochures/Radar%20and%20Surveillance/Weather%20Radar/WXR-2100/MultiScan%20ThreatTrack%20Quick%20Reference%20Guide%20-%20Boeing.aspx

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

I don't think the real aircraft can detect turbulence on radar, but we all wish it could.

Martin Connor (Cert Ed)

Early retiree from UK Further & Higher Education College

Specialized in Computer Networking and early adoption of new technologies.

Interests:3D Design, Scenery Creation for FSX, Photography. Programming.

I don't think the real aircraft can detect turbulence on radar, but we all wish it could.

There are many different types of turbulence, and representations (if not visualizations) of turbulence.  Certainly we weren't discussing clear air turbulence - because, well, we were discussing weather radar therefore one must assume there is, I dunno, weather that contains precipitation? (grin)

Anyway, given a Doppler Radar with Turbulence mode, turbulence can most certainly be displayed.  Can't write a dissertation or qualify every statement.  But one can  Google:  "aircraft weather radar turbulence".

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

ASN supplies data that will allow a predictive wind shear display, but the type of radar data that allows the display of turbulence is not modeled as far as I know...

DJ

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread, gents. Please be mindful of answering questions. Ensure you have the facts, or a reasonable understanding of them before posting.

WX + T means "weather plus turbulence."

TCAS is what detects traffic - this is not a direct function of the radar.

WX + T mode picks up turbulence by detecting movement of the precipitation. As such, it won't paint magenta unless it's part of painting precipitation (green - red).

Kyle Rodgers

WX + T means "weather plus turbulence."

Like I posted in post#4, Rockwell-Collins calls WX+T "Weather Plus Threat", because it predicts more than just turbulence...it also assesses threats from growing cells, hail danger and up/down drafts.  Most of these are most likely not modeled in PMDG or FSX/P3D for that matter!!  :)

Here is the link again...real good brief description of the Rockwell Collins radar:

https://www.rockwellcollins.com/~/media/Files/Unsecure/Products/Product%20Brochures/Radar%20and%20Surveillance/Weather%20Radar/WXR-2100/MultiScan%20ThreatTrack%20Quick%20Reference%20Guide%20-%20Boeing.aspx

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Like I posted in post#4, Rockwell-Collins calls WX+T "Weather Plus Threat", because it predicts more than just turbulence...it also assesses threats from growing cells, hail danger and up/down drafts.  Most of these are most likely not modeled in PMDG or FSX/P3D for that matter!!  :)

Here is the link again...real good brief description of the Rockwell Collins radar:

The Collins WXR-2100 Operators Guide refers to it as "Weather Plus Turbulence" on the definitions page on 1-3. Both Airbus and Boeing docs refer to it as I did as well. It's clear that the definitions are similar enough, though.

Kyle Rodgers

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread, gents. Please be mindful of answering questions. Ensure you have the facts, or a reasonable understanding of them before posting.

Forums are full of it.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Forums are full of it.

Yep. One of the issues with forums, though understandable in order to allow freer flow of data and ideas. Still, it should be emphasized that people should have at least a cursory level of self-policing and fact-finding or verification prior to posting.

Kyle Rodgers

I've seen it quite a bit so far.. Almost always within strong red areas, which naturally are the

heaviest precip areas with the most potential for turbulent weather mayhem.  :rolleyes:

You won't see it in green areas much. I'm down in the south a lot, which may be one reason

I see it a good bit..