Sign in to follow this  
Samaritano

Germanwings 4U9525 dissapears over the Alps

You're joking of course! Don't let any of the victims' families read this!

"Empathy" is not the same thing as "approval" or even "support."

Rather it is the capacity to understand what another person is experiencing from within the other person's frame of reference, i.e., the capacity to place oneself in another person shoes.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

A couple of years ago a friend of mine was murdered. At the funeral someone had said "Raymond would have had empathy for the person who killed him"

Those words were true as my friend Raymond gave his life helping someone else. It is unfortunate when these things happen but we do learn from them.

Difficult thing about 4U9525 is we are not talking about the breakdown of mechanical things like a Fuel Pump not installed correctly that led to a chain of events. This one is the more complex part of operating an airline, the human side of things. To be honest, it is much easier to fix a Fuel Pump. Even if you change things to prevent another 4U9525, the humans will always be the most difficult part of operating an airline.

Matthew Kane

It should be noted that several families of the victims felt and showed empathy to the family of Andreas Lubitz.

It should be noted that several families of the victims felt and showed empathy to the family of Andreas Lubitz.

They are victims too.

Not only did they lose their son, their son also killed 150 people.

They are victims too.

Not only did they lose their son, their son also killed 150 people.

Yeah, they are indirect victims of depression. Not only did depression claim Lubitz, it destroyed the respective lives of his family members, as well as those unfortunate others on the plane. 

Did Lubitz killed 150 people? I suppose he technically did. But I would argue that truly, depression (among other mental illnesses, apparently) killed 150 people.

No rational, mentally fit person acts as Lubitz did. That wasn't Lubitz expressing himself. That was the black-hole that is depression expressing itself via Lubitz. 

That's a tricky one,  after his girlfriend dumped him he told her that he wanted to do something to be remembered by,  depression or badness?   Either way "rational" left that mans head long before the flight. 

Yeah, they are indirect victims of depression. Not only did depression claim Lubitz, it destroyed the respective lives of his family members, as well as those unfortunate others on the plane. 

Did Lubitz killed 150 people? I suppose he technically did. But I would argue that truly, depression (among other mental illnesses, apparently) killed 150 people.

No rational, mentally fit person acts as Lubitz did. That wasn't Lubitz expressing himself. That was the black-hole that is depression expressing itself via Lubitz. 

Had he lived he would have been undoubtably guilty. Think of the Norwegian case of Brievik. Whether Lubitz would have been sent to prison or a secure mental institution would have been the decision of the courts.

I think Lubitz had quite a bit more wrong with him than simple depression. Someone who has only depression will simply kill him/herself, Lubitz committed a mass murder. 

I think Lubitz had quite a bit more wrong with him than simple depression. Someone who has only depression will simply kill him/herself, Lubitz committed a mass murder.

Obviously a pinch of badness in him as well.

Obviously a pinch of badness in him as well.

This very well could have been some form of psychotic depression. Who knows, it's purely speculation, but psychosis can compel one to act in less-than-ideal ways.