Sign in to follow this  
Samaritano

Germanwings 4U9525 dissapears over the Alps

So sad. But I dont like that they're already considering the passengers dead. The families are probably going crazy right now. Only say they're dead if you're sure about it :(

Here is the altitude and speed data graph for the flight. Seems to descend from FL380 to 6000ft at a little over 3000fpm? Certainly a very linear descent but doesn't seem to descend at an alarming rate, the speed also doesn't seem beyond reasonable. Perhaps decompression, and the aircraft collided with terrain given the geography in that region?

Also the aircraft (D-AIPX) was rather old, it was first delivered to Lufthansa in 1990.

RIP to those on board.

besieh.jpg

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

For aircraft overflying the Alps there are specific procedures in case of depressurisation or engine out.

For example these are the depressurisation instructions for that part of the Alps.

SOUTH OF LATITUDE 46°N (blue)
- Descend to the South to FL180
- Track as required to LFLL, LFMN, LIMC or LIMF
- ASAP, descend to the higher of Grid MORA and 10,000ft.

The driftdown proceuure in the same part of the Alps

ALPDD N46 30 E008 30 radial 225
South of: track SE
Noth of: track NW

So it is clear that the emergency experienced on board was of an uncontrollable nature. The pilot apparently did make a Mayday call. It's impossible to speculate what may have happened until the black boxes are recovered.

One thing I noticed if this was emergency situation - why the pilots didn't tried to land at Marseille airport which was just below the point where the airplane started the descent? Also they probably could reach at that descent rate Nice airport without problems. And why they didn't deviated from the course to the west where is a much flatter terrain, instead flying straight over the alps?

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

One thing I noticed if this was emergency situation - why the pilots didn't tried to land at Marseille airport which was just below the point where the airplane started the descent? They probably could reach at that descent rate Nice airport without problems. Also, why they didn't deviated from the course to the west where is a much flatter terrain, instead flying straight over the alps?

Thats the key question - either they were not in control, or were not aware of the situation. I refrain from speculating. RIP to all.

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

Indeed, it seems to descend in a direct line where a turn to the West, East or South would have made sense. If the aircraft could not turn then this would point to a control issue such as a hydraulics failure or smoke/fire issues. The descent is about 3,000ft per minute which is not a dive by any means. RIP to Pax and Crew

Very sad

http://uk.flightawar...0835Z/LEBL/EDDL

Reporting that wreckage is very localized 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

So sad. But I dont like that they're already considering the passengers dead. The families are probably going crazy right now. Only say they're dead if you're sure about it :(

This is based on where the plane went down, very unlikely for a A320 to be able to land safely in the alps. The crash site has been described as remote and very difficult to access. They are correct in their assumptions

Matthew Kane

Thoughts go out to all involved.

Hope they find some answers for those left behind.

The last check was done on March 23. That comment makes me automatically think about maintenance errors.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Not even a mayday call? The descent was controlled although very fast so they had time...what ever it was it must have been chaotic on the flight deck

This is based on where the plane went down, very unlikely for a A320 to be able to land safely in the alps. The crash site has been described as remote and very difficult to access. They are correct in their assumptions

"Reports of a "moving body" among the wreckage have sparked hopes there may be survivors.

Rescue teams are just setting off for the crash site in Provence"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/germanwings-airbus-a320-crash-live-5390012

ZORAN

It's odd that the a/c didn't turn away from the mountains during the descent that if true was not dramatic suggesting that it was a driftdown attempt. So perhaps the crew were distracted or they had no control. A descent of 3000fpm would be consistent with an IAS of around 300kts. More or less normal at altitude.

Apparently there was no communication with ATC. Let's hope that the black boxes reveal what happened.