Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Never thought this option will make a difference

Lately I'm mostly flying A2A planes and PMDG 737NGX. We all know that NGX is a FPS eater, and it will eat around 50% of cpu cycles, equals 50% lower frame rates. In my tests, on LSZH I have around 65fps with a trike and UT2 traffic, in NGX around 32, exactly 50% lower. So literally out of boredom I unchecked High-resolution 3-D virtual cockpit, and on my surprise FPS went up from around 32 to 40, without even a slightest loss of detail in VC textures, no difference! Even I see now less stutters and blurries now with NGX, but I'll take that with a grain of salt, must test further. I sent this "tip" to my friend who bought iFly 747 and really like it, but he is kinda avoiding it because it is very hard on frames with stutters. After an hour he replied to me that he saw much smoother performance and fps went from 28 to 38. So, I guess it is working on bunch of hard on framerates addon airplanes?

I really don't know will this option will affect the textures on some high quality airplanes, but with few I've tested, I've got more fps and no difference in visual quality of VC. For default airplanes I'm sure this option will affect the textures but honestly I don't care since I'm not flying them anymore. :)

fsx-set-display-aircraft_zps5qw1dogr.jpg

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I really don't know will this option will affect the textures on some high quality airplanes, but with few I've tested, I've got more fps and no difference in visual quality of VC.

When I tried it the instruments in the PMDG 737 NGX were slightly out of focus (fuzzy) and yes FPS went up which is to be expected, but not significantly enough for me to lose the crisp panel displays. Thanks for trying, we need more people to think outside the box like you, you never know what you may discover.

I tried it once before and performance increased but the fuzzy textures in the cockpit killed it for me. To be frank, I typically get around 28 FPS or better in the NGX pretty much everywhere I go and it's smooth, so for me gaining a few more FPS didn't out weight the fuzzy VC textures.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Intersting. I didn't noticed any difference in textures, still hi res and clean. Text on displays is a bit blurry only when I zoom in quite a lot, so no problems there either. Tested also A2A Cherokee, few more fps, and cockpit textures are a bit different I think, and I like that.

Anyway that option is in the reach of hand in the sim, you can uncheck it per plane.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

What is your default FOV?

Wideviewaspect=True, 0.75 zoom. I forgot to add that Im in DX10 mode with the Fixer.

Sorry but there is definitely a loss of resolution on the PFD, ND and EICAS screens with "High resolution VC" checked off!  If you are struggling with FPS with the NGX though, it is a great way of still being able to enjoy the aircraft.

I have high resolution VC checked off, but hi def textures and hi res displays are checked on, so no loss of resolution at default fov. When you started to zoom, then you will start to see the difference.

A much better option than the FSX 3d hi res option menu is to set up the NGX with its own high/low res VC and other items. You can set this up from the new PMDG operations centre that comes with SPd (or the latest updated version). I find the NGX remarkably good on frame rates with a very ordinary computer. I get a constant 34 fps even at detailed airports with 38% AI (My traffic X) in spot view and rarely below 30 fps from the VC. That's quite a remarkable achievement by PMDG. I don't notice any particularly degraded look to the panel using the options provided.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

A much better option than the FSX 3d hi res option menu is to set up the NGX with its own high/low res VC and other items. You can set this up from the new PMDG operations centre that comes with SPd (or the latest updated version). I find the NGX remarkably good on frame rates with a very ordinary computer. I get a constant 34 fps even at detailed airports with 38% AI (My traffic X) in spot view and rarely below 30 fps from the VC. That's quite a remarkable achievement by PMDG. I don't notice any particularly degraded look to the panel using the options provided.

My experience with the NGX's own HD/SD texture option was that I could definitely perceive the difference with the low resolution 'screens' and 'textures' options selected, but with the 'model' option set to low I could perceive no difference.

So with the NGX I use the following, and it gives me very similar to performance to that which Rob is describing :-

VC Textures=High

VC Model=Low

VC Screens=High

I really don't know will this option will affect the textures on some high quality airplanes

Pe11e - just wanted to make you aware that leaving "high-resolution 3-D virtual cockpit" un-ticked will cause visual artefacts (enlarged LCD digits) on the radio stacks in the A2A Skyhawk, Cherokee and Skylane. It will also tend to cause some issues with cockpit lighting.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations

My experience with the NGX's own HD/SD texture option was that I could definitely perceive the difference with the low resolution 'screens' and 'textures' options selected, but with the 'model' option set to low I could perceive no difference.

So with the NGX I use the following, and it gives me very similar to performance to that which Rob is describing :-

VC Textures=High

VC Model=Low

VC Screens=High

VC Textures=High

VC Model=Low

VC Screens=High

Same here, but the thing is that I didn't see difference in fps with all set to low, maybe 2-3 frames at best.

I uncheck this option every time I fly the PMDG 737 or 777. To me, textures also remain pretty crisp (admittedly a little out of focus). I do notice a larger difference if you put the terrain radar on (larger squares), but it stays acceptable to me. The FPS gain is indeed very noticeable.

In the Aerosoft Airbus X unchecking this option makes the displays unreadable...

Pe11e - just wanted to make you aware that leaving "high-resolution 3-D virtual cockpit" un-ticked will cause visual artefacts (enlarged LCD digits) on the radio stacks in the A2A Skyhawk, Cherokee and Skylane. It will also tend to cause some issues with cockpit lighting.

Cheers,

Nick

Yes, this is the first thing I noticed too. But, I'm sure its a great way of saving fps with lots of other aircraft types.