Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

S550 Yes or NO

Forum wouldn't let me post such a short word.

Still I have (a teeny weeny bit of) hope for their upcoming Hawker. I'm going to get it anyway so I'll be a guinea pig.

Worst case scenario I put the GTN 750 in it

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Still I have (a teeny weeny bit of) hope for their upcoming Hawker. I'm going to get it anyway so I'll be a guinea pig.

Proline 21 from Carenado. Bert is going to be very, very busy fixing this one.

Bert is going to be very, very busy fixing this one.

With all the hints Carenado is/are dropping lately, I wouldn't be surprised if we're within 3-4 days of release. This really is their last redemption chance, I think. It's been in development longer than any other Carenado release, and if they don't show it I think quite a few of us will be more than disappointed.

Bert has not seen any part of this airplane...  I am as clueless as the rest of you  :unsure:

Bert

BTW, what aircraft is that in your avatar?  Looks like the PL21 MFD.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

BTW, what aircraft is that in your avatar?  Looks like the PL21 MFD.

Universal EFI-890R in a King Air.

Universal EFI-890R in a King Air.

Yeah, the label at the top of the frame kinda gives that away...

Universal makes some really nice products!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Carenado S550,got an award from a flight sim magazine review, albeit it looks like an ad instead

Gorky Max

Carenado S550,got an award from a flight sim magazine review

And right there is the reason I stopped buying FS mags, PC Pilot in my case.

I hope Carenado doesn't turn into another Captainsim.

You finish your slice of cake before taking another.

Carenado S550,got an award from a flight sim magazine review, albeit it looks like an ad instead

pcflight.net?? A "solid" aircraft "stunning in all aspects." 8.2 out of 10?? Mr. Haynes is certainly entitled to his opinion but I don't share it.

IMO, it's mediocre, over-priced, but has the potential to be much more better if only they'd finish it. Ditto for the Phemon 100.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I hope Carenado doesn't turn into another Captainsim.

You finish your slice of cake before taking another.

It is way too late for that.  Unfortunately they lost their charm when they started getting into planes with complicated GPSes and other displays.  Coding is obviously not their strong suit.  Their quality is also atrocious.  They either don't spend much time beta testing, don't listen to their testers, or have testers who never actually fly the planes and just look at them turned off on the ground.  This is unacceptable, and I cannot believe review sites haven't been calling them out on it.  Captainsim has been crucified by the community for similar practices.  I'm not sure why Carenado hasn't.

Sadly almost nobody else is actively working on complex business jet addons.  I am eager to see the next Eaglesoft release but who knows if/when that might happen.  I've heard of a couple others being worked on by other developers but they're quite a ways out, probably not this year or maybe even next.  It is a frustrating and gaping hole in my FS hangar.  I would fly the crap out of a good biz jet if it were released.  I tried the Eaglesoft Citation X 2.0 again recently but the graphics just aren't good enough to keep me interested.  The Flight1 Citation Mustang would be nice if it didn't make me run out of VAS every time I flew it.  A company that I think would do a phenomenal job with a biz jet is RealAir, but I don't think we'll ever see that happen.

IMHO, between A2A's incredible GA releases and Carenado's absolutely terrible quality control, I will likely never purchase an addon from them again.  The 182Q for FS9 was the first payware plane I'd ever flown.  Over the years I've spent several hundreds of dollars supporting them.  I feel rather let down now.  :(

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I'd say that if you get rid of the FMC, and put a GTN750 in the S550, it is quite a nice plane..

Move the autopilot to the main panel, and you have everything within sight.   B)

Having said that, RealAir is in a league all their own... Powering up the TDuke V2 with GTN 750 puts a smile on my face every time.   :P

Bert

I really wouldn't go so far as to say 'unusable'.

I've had some awesome flights with it so far, and I expect to keep it in my hangar for quite some time.  The value is yes, questionable, and there were / are some bugs, but nothing to keep one from flying it.

I would. I get a constant 30 - FPS  in the s550 but it stutters like crazy! No other aircraft product I own does this. I have tried it in both P3D 2.5 and FSX. Same thing happens in both. Also the FMC deletes entries as fast as you load then. Its a Crap product and has turned me off Carenado .

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

In all fairness, the work that people on this board did have rendered this a very usable and enjoyable aircraft. Like any RW aircraft it has it's own foibles with the autopilot and related systems. After flying it exclusively for about a month now I understand the idiosyncrasies and have very enjoyable flights in all weather. With a series of tweaks to the .air file and aircraft.cfg file to suit my system, the hand flying is very, very nice. As far as the price goes, who the heck cares. I have spent untold thousands of dollars and thousands of hours on this hobby since about 1997. The difference between 20 bucks and sixty bucks is irrelevant at this point. On the other hand, when/if the Hawker is released I will wait and watch for awhile before leaping in. With this aircraft and my ESDG Citation X for longer range flights, I am pretty well fixed for bizjets in my hanger, not even to mention the IFLY B737 bizjet. Life is good.

PS: This aircraft does occupy a pretty high VAS at about 3.2 and I have heard the dreaded chimes flying into relatively small freeware airports. Bears watching.