Sign in to follow this  

No Doom, No Gloom, just flying in 4K ... and some settings that work well ...

and the smoothness came across....

Just have to find that balance ... fortunately the 4K monitor allows for quality images at 30Hz and 60Hz ... in more remote areas I can use 60Hz to bring out even more fluidity.

I'm sure the 4K res is helping a lot with the razor-focused images, but have you applied any of your other tweaks or mods to the shader files (or elsewhere) to get such a good lighting balance between the internal and external environments?

I haven't applied any modifications to the HDR shader file, not using NI, and NCP is set to all defaults.  I'm using a different sky textures (freeware located here on AVSIM).

I did make one small adjustment but it has nothing to do with lighting ... something I discovered that changed in v2.4 to v2.5 around building AutoGen that impact distance radius.

General.fx

line 246

worldMatrix[3].y -= ( 5 * saturate( ( distanceSq – 81000000 )/90250000 )) * ( cb_mObjectType == 11 );

Original v2.5 value is 75 ... but any value from about 30 to 5 will bring the autogen buildings up out of the ground in the distance providing a slightly bigger AutoGen building radius.  I haven't tested this fully yet but only saw a minor difference in FPS <1%. However it could have VAS implications so you've been warned. 

why do we have to actually go to a flight to change settings??

Don't know ... going to guess in a training situation that would NOT be the normal process (picking aircraft, etc. first) ... the normal process would be to start a scenario/flight immediately.

Cheers, Rob.

Hey Rob,

That is a very nice video!!  I really like the way you have everything setup.  Question for you:  If you had multiple cards running in SLI how would your results be?  When I saw you had picked Dubai. It reminded me of one of my trips to the Gulf. I was one of five guys that flew off the ship.  We took an E-2 and a F-18 to the Dubai International Airshow.  We were sponsored by Grumman and they were trying to sell the E-2 to UAE.  So me being an E-5 in the Navy I had to tell the Sheik that he couldn't see the inside of the aircraft.  I did get to meet him face to face.  :)

Tom 

Rob,

Can you tell me which water textures/animations you are using, and if REX, which set?

Thanks,

Daz

Can you tell me which water textures/animations you are using, and if REX, which set?

All default, I'm currently only using REX 4 soft clouds ... sky textures can be found here on AVSIM: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Gabriel+Joaquim+Teles+Rodrigues&CatID=root&Go=Search

If you had multiple cards running in SLI how would your results be?

The same, no official nVidia SLI support for P3D yet.

We took an E-2 and a F-18 to the Dubai International Airshow.

I am jealous, but very glad you got that experience.  Were you in the F18? :)  Had to look up the E-2 because I had no idea what it looked like ... and E-5 for that matter and discovered that was really a rank (Petty Officer 2nd class) ... too many E's :)  So did you keep up with the F18?

My folks used to live in Bahrain and I would visit them during school summer breaks (way back in the 70's).  We often were invited to various Sheik parties/events ... it's an interesting part of the world, very different than the one I see on TV.

Cheers, Rob.

Good morning Rob!!

It was a very good experience.  I was the senior guy for the E-2C.  I never got to sit in a cockpit of an F-18.  Yes I was a Aviation Structural Mechanic Second Class at the time (E-5).  The F-18 was from one from one of the other squadrons on the ship.  Yes it is a very different part of the world.  I was there before that big hotel was built even.  So that was a fun air show.  I did have to wear my uniform and represent the Navy for the E-2C but I also got to see alot of other countries' aircraft and some land vehicles.  

I think your video was very impressive!!

Tom

I've had excellent success (read very smooth) using CyberLink PowerDVD 14 as an MP4 4K player.

Rob, is the output of the above what we see on YouTube, or Shadowplay, or both?

Thanks,

Chas

I think I've finally got to a good working set for all but the PMDG and CS aircraft.

Here is a quick test around FlyTampa's Dubai:

These are the updated settings I'm going to settle on (maxed out Shadow Cast Distance) ... ended running my monitor at 30Hz rather than 60Hz ... just seems to work better with P3D: http://www.robainscough.com/P3D_Titan_X_4K_Set.html

Here is the download link (2GB file) if you're get stutters from YouTube - download and view locally ... I've had excellent success (read very smooth) using CyberLink PowerDVD 14 as an MP4 4K player.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0Q-fAfEZwyVW8xdEVjZnUxRXc/view?usp=sharing

For heavy overcast weather I've found just changing from 8X MSAA to 2X MSAA allows me to retain 30 FPS.

Cheers, Rob.

Test of my use of your YouTube link...to be commented upon via an immediate edit if the link is missing

Chas

Edit...as you see, it was, and I'll bet so is this-> A link to my vid about Rob's video WAS here

So, how are you successfully linking to YouTube vids, and mine are deleted? I would be more than happy to conform to what ever Avsim edict dictating the proper way to link to YouTube.

What am I doing wrong?? Is this happening to anyone else or am I the Lone Ranger?

Please feel free to move this to a more appropriate topic.

C

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Rob, is the output of the above what we see on YouTube, or Shadowplay, or both?

1.  ShadowPlay is used to record 4K output

2.  Adobe PP is used to convert that to a YouTube standard 4K output (this is what I provide in the alternate link)

3.  Then I upload to YouTube, YouTube will then do their own processing of my video

So what you see on YouTube will not the be the same as the download link I provided on my Google Drive.  The download link is so that folks can download the video to their local hard drive and then play the video back with their own 4K player ... hence my recommendation to use CyberLink DVD 14 as the 4K video player for local playback.  Object is to remove YouTube servers, compression, and your ISP bandwidth as a variable in the "stutter" equation that many comment about.

On the way to KRDD from KSQL:

Nice shots!  I just finished some Glider fun at KRDD.  But what a great choice for flights, both those Orbx airports are wonderful recreations.

Cheers, Rob.

What am I doing wrong??

No idea, I don't use any of the linking options, just copy and paste.  But I would recommend that you don't re-link to my original video ... no sense in repeating a video link.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi, Rob,

Very nice.  What size monitor? Sorry, missed that..

Kev

Hi Kev,

49"

Cheers, Rob.

Oooohhhh...  Gotta save some pennies for that.

Hey, Rob, all of the 4K monitors are touting that they can cleanly upscale 1080P to 4K.  so run at 1080P and upscale or run at 4K?  Thoughts?

Thx.

Kev

so run at 1080P and upscale or run at 4K?

Can't create what is not there ... it's really about data.  But I can run 1080p on my 4K monitor ... and I have, not bad, but nothing liking real 4K.  The upscaling is really more about BD 1080p playback and not so much about PC simulations/games.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks, Rob.

BTW, you never did answer me...  About driving the car, that is.  Let me drive yours, and you can drive my Carrera GT+4 at Mid-Ohio!  Just kidding, I know you'd never do that.

Kev

Let me drive yours, and you can drive my Carrera GT+4 at Mid-Ohio!

I love Mid-Ohio ... great track.  My race car is sold (and truck and trailer) ... 14 years of racing started to feel more like work than fun.  I'm getting old so my adventures in flight now begin ... still working for my PPL (finding time seems to be my problem).

I'll take your GT4 for a spin ... warning, I break cars ... a lot ... don't crash them to often, I just seem very good at finding their weakest links ... lucky me!

Cheers, Rob.

Rob had to liquidate his race car to pay for that new computer! :lol:

Ryan