Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Replacing weather radar?

You can probably replace the EX500 at the bottom, or just insert it as a new pop up.

Are you familiar with editing the panel.cfg file?

You can probably replace the EX500 at the bottom, or just insert it as a new pop up.

Are you familiar with editing the panel.cfg file?

Yes if you can help what line would I replace in the file to put the wx radar gauge inside the ex500, or over it?

I'll be out of the house soon for a good few hours so I can't test this myself, but basically in the panel.cfg file, under Window00, you'll find the EX500 and EX500_config gauge lines, comment out (add a // in front of the line) the gauge01 line, so it looks like:

//gauge01=EX500_PC12!EX500,           0,0,851,571

So, the numbers that are comma delimited means x position, y position, x size, y size. Sometimes there's a 5th variable, I forget what it's officially called but it's some sort of local variable gauge reference parameter. Commenting out means the panel.cfg will not load this gauge.

You will then need to add the new weather gauge, based on whatever is in the readme for the insertion of the pop up section. You may need to copy the same x,y,x-size,y-size parameters. Insert the line as gauge01.

You will then need to do the same for the virtual cockpit, which falls under the [Vcockpit04] section, for gauge01, for EX500_3D

I don't think you'll need to comment out the others that relate to EX500, e.g. EX500!EX500_config or EX500!EX500_Update, but if it doesn't seem to work properly try commenting out everything related to EX500.

Alternatively, you can add in a new [Window09] to add a new pop up for the weather gauge instead of replacing the EX500. Remember to add it to the top of the panel.cfg file for Window Titles.

Note, I believe gauges cannot go 'inside' others - they can sit above but can't integrate well unless they have built in transparencies and that sort of thing.

In order to have the weather radar function of the EX500 changed, this would require XML recoding of the EX500 gauge.

Wish I had the artistic talent to create a backplate design to make that weather radar gauge fit into the vc. Wx radar is the last thing this addon needs to make it perfect

If you don't mind missing out on the backplate, you can resize such that the entire weather radar window fits within the EX500 window, inside the VC. You obviously wouldn't be able to use the buttons though. Just need to play around with the scaling and positioning.

I want to replace the Garmin GTX transponder with the Reality XP GTX. And the Carenado Avidyne with the Reality XP WX500 weather radar. But at night the colors do not match, the Reality XP gauges are too bright.