Sign in to follow this  
Pilot53

P3D HDR Brightness Mod - Bright Daytime and Dark Night

After carrying out the mods I was quite happy but decided to go a stage further. I added ReShade. I use a three monitor setup and posted my settings earlier in this thread. For me, this just gave the P3D shader mods an additional boost. I've made a simple video using the split screen shader available so you can see the normal picture on the left and ReShade on the right.

I've tried to give a full 24 coverage to the video, although more time is devoted to daytime. Ive also used a range of weather and the video begins with clear skies. As night time approaches you'll notice that the effects of ReShade become less obvious.

After carrying out the mods I was quite happy but decided to go a stage 

Great video looks much better - noticed you have rolling clouds on the runway are you using P3D 2.5 if so can you tell me your cloud sets you are using if REX and your P3D menu settings to activate them - I can't for the life of me get them working in 2.5 latest patch - thanks

Rich Sennett

Thanks

Thanks guess I will have to figure it out as I am using rex may be just a cloud texture change

Rich Sennett

Thanks guess I will have to figure it out as I am using rex may be just a cloud texture change

Mmm I'm not using REX which appears to be the variable that's different. Perhaps the REX textures reflect differently. Interesting! You'll have to let us know what you find.

Mmm I'm not using REX which appears to be the variable that's different. Perhaps the REX textures reflect differently. Interesting! You'll have to let us know what you find.

Maybe but what are you turning on in P3D menu to initialize it ? - pretty sure I know ho but need to be sure its not me - thanks 

Rich Sennett

If you're using a high avgLuminance (like I am, using 3.0f):

To increase overall brightness without really affecting the night, try also using line 164,

float3 brighten = x * saturate( color * luminance * avgLuminance );

Where x is basically whatever scalar you want, I personally use 4, along with 0.1 for line 90 (    float luminance =  ( 0.1 * CalcLuminance( color )); )

This gives me pretty reasonable dark nights and bright days.

Thank you, thank you, thank youuuu.... :) :) with this I could achieve what I wanted to. Without any sweetFX mods which is rubbish compared to this. I really appreciate your help. Finally real dark and normal daylight :) I couldn't be happier :)

Balint Szarka

CPU Intel i9 9900K OC'd to 5Ghz

RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

GPU 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER

Thank you, thank you, thank youuuu.... :) :) with this I could achieve what I wanted to. Without any sweetFX mods which is rubbish compared to this. I really appreciate your help. Finally real dark and normal daylight :) I couldn't be happier :)

So what's your final setting? Just curious. I'm always willing to try new mods.

So what's your final setting? Just curious. I'm always willing to try new mods.

I'm posting the only lines I modified in the HDR.hlsl. Those are the following:

13th line: static const float TimeDelta = 4.0f;

90th line: float luminance = (0.6 * CalcLuminance( color ));

164th line: float3 brighten = (2.5 * saturate( color * luminance * avgLuminance ));

166th line: avgLuminance *= 4.45f;

Balint Szarka

I'm trying to make my night dark, such as we don't see the clouds when there is no moon, but if I increase avgLuminance *= 1.20f , the daylight scenery and the cockpit becomes too dark... I'm using textures from REX, and with your settings the clouds are really visible a night with no moon. What do you guys suggest? I tried 4.20f and the night is almost pitch black with no moon from the cockpit, however day time is way too dark... :s

This was around 4AM without moon, but my point was not to make clouds invisible. Cause I was in the cockpit during night flight in real life and they were visible even though the moon was not visible at all.

@Lynk, my set up may not work for everyone in the same way. I'm using this monitor: HP ZR2240w with 10% of backlighting.

xTiTnLaUNBRVZqS63u.gif

Balint Szarka

Hello!

Wonderful tweak . The sensation of flying has changed and the effect is much more realistic. I have a doubt:
Does anyone know do some tweak to make it visible at long range navigation lights of air traffic ? In Prepar3D to 5nm , the lights disappear and can not distinguish traffic.
Prepar3D forum do not pay attention , but I can not understand why they are so worried because clouds are seen to perfection and not so much traffic.
thanks in advance.
abraham .

There is one caveat, I feel, for making the night too dark. I've tried the same settings as DarkstarF16, including the use of Reshade ... and the night darkness is just beautiful ... but ... ground lights are now way too dark as well. I'm using ORBX sceneries and I can hardly see any of the city lights etc. Approach lights appear much darker too.

There is one caveat, I feel, for making the night too dark. I've tried the same settings as DarkstarF16, including the use of Reshade ... and the night darkness is just beautiful ... but ... ground lights are now way too dark as well. I'm using ORBX sceneries and I can hardly see any of the city lights etc. Approach lights appear much darker too.

I'm not an expert in this theme, but maybe you can add some more bloom so the lights'll appear more brighter... IMHO. Good luck ;)

Balint Szarka

Could someone tell me where can lower the intensity of the color, which is the file that should change, I found a good balance but has too much color.

Thanks