Sign in to follow this  
shakir1998

FSX running at very low fps.

Right now I'm using the PMDG 737ngx and no matter what I do to my settings I get very low FPS (mainly because of clouds I think) but even taking the clouds setting to its lowest, when the weather is overcast, FSX really lags for me. I need to know what I really need to change on my computer to enable me to run FSX smoothly. So here are my stats:

AMD A10-6700 APU

6.00GB RAM

64bit

3.70GHz

If you have any suggestions please share.

Thank you

Sounds like the problem many have and there is no real solution. Have you tried the fsx.cfg settings in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide? There are some performance settings in the Op Center program for the NGX. You might try lowering the settings for the VC. I use the fsx.cfg settings in the AVSIM CTD Guide. Not sure what video card you have. Whatever it is you might want to lower the settings in the display driver too.

The PMDG OP Center also has documentation and you might look in the Intro Guide around page 21 for some recommendations. Is there a magic setting that will work for everyone and give them great performance? No or PMDG would have disclosed it. You are just going to have to compromised with some settings. High settings does not make FSX look better. High settings make FSX look worse and more problems are encountered when you have high settings and tweaks in your FSX.cfg.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It seems I'm having trouble accessing my config. I'm using steam edition but when I click on the config application file nothing happens. Any help?

To be honest, your A10-6700 APU is simply far from anything that can properly run FSX together with a demanding addon such as PMDG. You won't be able to change this fact by adding tweaks to your FSX.cfg. In the best case, you might win some FPS by tweaking your config, sure, but you will still have the trouble of running FSX on a office-grade CPU (APU).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

To be honest, your A10-6700 APU is simply far from anything that can properly run FSX together with a demanding addon such as PMDG. You won't be able to change this fact by adding tweaks to your FSX.cfg. In the best case, you might win some FPS by tweaking your config, sure, but you will still have the trouble of running FSX on a office-grade CPU (APU).

So what kind of APU would I need to buy? I don't want anything too expensive but when I created this topic I was hoping on some advice on APU's I could buy.

If I bought something like a GeForce GTX 760 would that help me?

Well, there is no APU existing that is powerful enough to provide proper FSX experience. At least to my knowledge. I know, this is a rather harsh and absolute statement, but for FSX, you should invest at least 1000$ in your system. Sure, you can build an APU based computer where you will be able to run FSX, but it will look worse than FS9 and as soon as you install a single addon plane or scenery that is only a little bit more complex than FSX standard stuff, your performance will be gone again.

So, regarding APU's, only the most powerful ones would possibly have a little chance of running FSX on the lowest possible settings. And that is the A10-7850K. Fact is, you would probably be better off using a i3-4150 together with an GTX-750 in regard of a really cheap FSX setup.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Well, there is no APU existing that is powerful enough to provide proper FSX experience. At least to my knowledge. I know, this is a rather harsh and absolute statement, but for FSX, you should invest at least 1000$ in your system. Sure, you can build an APU based computer where you will be able to run FSX, but it will look worse than FS9 and as soon as you install a single addon plane or scenery that is only a little bit more complex than FSX standard stuff, your performance will be gone again.

So, regarding APU's, only the most powerful ones would possibly have a little chance of running FSX on the lowest possible settings. And that is the A10-7850K. Fact is, you would probably be better off using a i3-4150 together with an GTX-750 in regard of a really cheap FSX setup.

What about CPU? Sorry I'm a bit of a computer noob but I heard FSX is mainly cpu based. And I'm not looking for a really smooth FSX with high frame rates just a set up with average frame rate.

Well, an APU is basically a combination of a CPU and a GPU, means it provides both the Processor and an integrated Graphics"card". APU's are ideal for office-computers due to this fact. And yes, FSX is mainly CPU based, that's why the choice of an AMD APU is so bad, as they do simply not provide enough CPU power compared to the Intel counterparts. That's why I recommend, if your budget is limited, to rather look for an i3 processor (CPU) which offers great single-core-performance together with a low-end graphics card from the nvidia branch, e.g. the GTX-750.

Greetings, Chris

Well, an APU is basically a combination of a CPU and a GPU, means it provides both the Processor and an integrated Graphics"card". APU's are ideal for office-computers due to this fact. And yes, FSX is mainly CPU based, that's why the choice of an AMD APU is so bad, as they do simply not provide enough CPU power compared to the Intel counterparts. That's why I recommend, if your budget is limited, to rather look for an i3 processor (CPU) which offers great single-core-performance together with a low-end graphics card from the nvidia branch, e.g. the GTX-750.

Hmm I'm going to look into the GTX-750 but first I need to see if my PC can run it. Thanks for help!