Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

Don't upgrade to Windows 10 yet.

I didn't say there was with 8.1. Neither did I say 10 would be a subscription service. Updates are free are they? Wow! That's very generous of them. Try playing Solitaire and see what you're presented with. Adverts unless you sign up to a subscription service.

And perhaps you're not bothered with no control over what updates are forced on you. I on the other hand, am. And I wouldn't want my PC acting as a feeder for updating other systems which apparently is an option you may have unwittingly chosen to enable.

Solitaire? Really? There's tons of other options. I do have control of what updates are "forced" to me thanks to MS releasing that tool (I also have the Pro version so I can have updates defered) As for the feeding others updates, to some people that's a huge bandwidth saver if you only set it to local(not really a problem to me as I have turned that off).

Has anyone taken the Win10 plunge since the release?  Any problems?  I want to upgrade from 8.1 but don't want to be the first. :)

I have and Win 10 is great.

Try playing Solitaire and see what you're presented with. Adverts unless you sign up to a subscription service.

I see that you haven't used W10 yourself. The "adverts" only appear if you click on a button to upgrade to "Premium solitaire". I don't use a MS Account in W10 and I have never been asked to, either.

And perhaps you're not bothered with no control over what updates are forced on you. I on the other hand, am. And I wouldn't want my PC acting as a feeder for updating other systems which apparently is an option you may have unwittingly chosen to enable.

Ray, please put your pitchfork down.

Yes, updates are forced, but so far I have only received security updates. I don't care if these are automatic.

And yes, by default, your computer will act as a "seeder" for updates for other users. But guess what? You can turn this off, or even set it so that your computer is a "seeder" for other computers in your LOCAL network ONLY.

There are some well known 'issues' such as 'automatic driver updates' and the 'torrent' like distributed downloading method which even I now realise you can turn off.

What is hidden in the small print though is that your win10 update wont be valid if you significantly upgrade your hardware in the future. Thinking of buying a new skylake proc in a few months? Better factor in a win10 licence into the cost of that if you upgrade to 10 now, because your free upgrade to 10 is only valid for your current hardware...change it and pay.

Personally I think thats sneaky burying that in the snall print as I could stay with my current win7 as long as I like - if its an upgrade I should be able to use it for as long as my 7 licence would have been valid.

As it is its nothing more than a free preview, which M$ doesnt completely hide but isnt completely open about either... K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

My two office PCs migrated flawlessly, but my home rig failed miserably :-(

At first I was mad, after havin spent a few hours again, yesterday, trying to manually upgrade my Win 7 Home premium, but I was always getting an error message stating something about language incompatibility between my original win 7 install and the win 10 upgrade version - nonsense...

But, I had a moment of "light" and decided I shouldn't really spend my precious time doing something silly like, installing win 8.1 from scratch ( which I also own ) and then migrating to Win 10... Nah... I will wait for better times, and meanwhile, P3Dv2 and Aerowinx PSX are working just fine in 7...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I see that you haven't used W10 yourself. The "adverts" only appear if you click on a button to upgrade to "Premium solitaire". I don't use a MS Account in W10 and I have never been asked to, either.

No intention to as I said earlier. How does it improve FSX? No-one has said anything about that yet. Actually, apart from the new look what does get improved over 7 which is an extremely good OS? Surely opting for a premium Solitaire should remove ads, not start them?

Ray, please put your pitchfork down.

????

Yes, updates are forced, but so far I have only received security updates. I don't care if these are automatic.

Neither would I but they will also update your nVidia drivers whether you want them or not.

And yes, by default, your computer will act as a "seeder" for updates for other users. But guess what? You can turn this off, or even set it so that your computer is a "seeder" for other computers in your LOCAL network ONLY.

And how many normal users will be aware of that and be able to disable it? Unless it's clearly pointed out and explained what the benefits / drawbacks are it's not something I would welcome.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

And how many normal users will be aware of that and be able to disable it?

Any educated person that takes about 15 minutes total and goes through each screen reading the options. It's not like MS is hiding anything. An informed user is an intelligent user. Kind of like those that actually read a software manual.

There are some well known 'issues' such as 'automatic driver updates' and the 'torrent' like distributed downloading method which even I now realise you can turn off.

What is hidden in the small print though is that your win10 update wont be valid if you significantly upgrade your hardware in the future. Thinking of buying a new skylake proc in a few months? Better factor in a win10 licence into the cost of that if you upgrade to 10 now, because your free upgrade to 10 is only valid for your current hardware...change it and pay.

Personally I think thats sneaky burying that in the snall print as I could stay with my current win7 as long as I like - if its an upgrade I should be able to use it for as long as my 7 licence would have been valid.

As it is its nothing more than a free preview, which Microsoft doesnt completely hide but isnt completely open about either... K

This is false. Once you upgrade, you get a "like version" of your previous Windows.

If you had an OEM/System Builder license and you upgrade, your new license will be OEM/System builder.

If you had a full, retail version and you upgrade, your new license will be a full, retail version. 

Regardless, if you upgrade hardware, you should have 0 problems reinstalling Windows, even if you have the OEM/system builder license, as MS will simply reactivate your OEM/system builder key if you call them after you change hardware.

And how many normal users will be aware of that and be able to disable it? Unless it's clearly pointed out and explained what the benefits / drawbacks are it's not something I would welcome.

So you consider yourself a "normal user"? I assume you spend hours configuring FSX/P3D to your taste, yet you can't go into the settings and turn off a simple toggle? 

they will also update your nVidia drivers whether you want them or not

This has been stated in a lot of places but I'm not sure it is true.  There is a setting that supposedly turns off automatic device driver updates, in my Win 10 Pro anyway -- right-click the start button and select System/Advanced System Settings/Hardware tab/Device Installation Settings.  I guess only time will tell how effective this setting is.

Rick

False, really?

From: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/reinstalling-windows-10-after-upgrade/578d0b7f-57e4-4893-b9d1-6cfac0d6290a?auth=1

Q: What happens if I change the hardware configuration of my Windows 10 device? (it’s the second question from the top)

A quick glance at the answer might mislead you.

“Answer(part 1) : If the hardware configuration of your Windows 10 device changes significantly (e.g. motherboard change) Windows may require re-activation on the device. This is the same experience as prior versions of Windows (e.g. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1).”

Fair enough, no problem there.

BUT!

“Answer(part 2): “The free upgrade offer will not apply to activation of Windows 10 in such scenarios where hardware changes reset Activation. ”

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

“Answer(part 2): “The free upgrade offer will not apply to activation of Windows 10 in such scenarios where hardware changes reset Activation. ”

I don't think you understand.

When you upgrade from retail, non-OEM W7 or W8.1, your key will also begin unlocking W10.

Even if you build an entire new computer, your key goes with you.

Any educated person that takes about 15 minutes total and goes through each screen reading the options. It's not like MS is hiding anything. An informed user is an intelligent user. Kind of like those that actually read a software manual.

If it's a clearly displayed option when going through a set of options then that seems okay. I imagined it may have been buried somewhere.

Do we get software manuals any more?

So you consider yourself a "normal user"? I assume you spend hours configuring FSX/P3D to your taste, yet you can't go into the settings and turn off a simple toggle?

If it's clearly displayed then fine. Some of these options aren't. And no, once I set-up FSX as I wanted it I leave it alone.

This has been stated in a lot of places but I'm not sure it is true. There is a setting that supposedly turns off automatic device driver updates, in my Win 10 Pro anyway

Many won't have Pro. Hopefully the user will have some control over which drivers they can install.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Many won't have Pro. Hopefully the user will have some control over which drivers they can install.

Both Home and Pro cannot control updates.

The only thing that Pro can do that Home cannot is DEFER updates, which means they won't install until a few months after they're released.

But guess what? Both Home and Pro can make use of this tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930?utm_source=twitter

But guess what? Both Home and Pro can make use of this tool: https://support.micr..._source=twitter

The key word there being temporarily.

I still don't get why people would choose 10 over 7 when you lose such an important part of control yet gain nothing in FSX/P3D performance in return.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The key word there being temporarily.

I still don't get why people would choose 10 over 7 when you lose such an important part of control yet gain nothing in FSX/P3D performance in return.

Temporarily can be forever if you never click to install the update again.

Lots of people are reporting performance increases, just like W8 did.