Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

Don't upgrade to Windows 10 yet.

My FSX looks better and performs better under Win 10.

The key word there being temporarily.

I still don't get why people would choose 10 over 7 when you lose such an important part of control yet gain nothing in FSX/P3D performance in return.

It has been shown in some benchmarks that 8/8.1/10 have some performance improvements over 7 in some programs. Just look at this Battlefield 3 benchmark: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331-4.html.

This is false. Once you upgrade, you get a "like version" of your previous Windows.

If you had an OEM/System Builder license and you upgrade, your new license will be OEM/System builder.

If you had a full, retail version and you upgrade, your new license will be a full, retail version.

Regardless, if you upgrade hardware, you should have 0 problems reinstalling Windows, even if you have the OEM/system builder license, as MS will simply reactivate your OEM/system builder key if you call them after you change hardware.

You carry on believing that then, simply because thats been the way in the past, AFTER you've bought a licence for an OS, but it ISNT what MS are offering here. The small print very clearly says its free at first, but if you try to activate following hardware upgrade, it won't be valid, the unassailable implication being you will have to cough up to then install Win10. If you dont agree lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that :) Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

1. Install Win 7/8 and activate.

2. Use the .iso file to upgrade to Win 10.

3. Enjoy Win 10 on your new computer.

1. Install Win 7/8 and activate.

2. Use the .iso file to upgrade to Win 10.

3. Enjoy Win 10 on your new computer.

You don't have to install W7 or 8.1 first!

When you upgrade once, your W7 or 8.1 key BECOMES a W10 one. You can clean install just like you always would!

. The small print very clearly says its free at first, but if you try to activate following hardware upgrade, it won't be valid, the unassailable implication being you will have to cough up to then install Win10. If you dont agree lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that :) Cheers K

Microsoft has ALWAYS done that with OEM licenses. Nothing new.

Edited by linux731

Temporarily can be forever if you never click to install the update again.

No Diego, if you cancel updates for long enough (year?) your install is marked invalid.

There is no way round this unfortunately, you will have to accept whatever MS sees fit to put on your system or lose your licence.

Defend it all you want but with Win10 you no longer have a Personal PC.

Temporarily can be forever if you never click to install the update again.

Lots of people are reporting performance increases, just like W8 did.

Conflicting info being posted now about updates and whether you can control them or not.

As I'm happy with FSX performance with 7 I have no need for 10. Sorry, but I'm a firm believer in no such thing as a free lunch. If it sounds too good to be true it generally is. MS have never offered a free upgrade on any other OS so why start now? That's a rhetorical question.

That's me done on this. Enjoy 10 and all it gives you.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well,

just took the plunge...

It took me a whole afternoon because, I had win 7 Home Premium, which didn't want to upgrade, but then I remembered I also had a win 8 Pro disk, so....

1) Upgraded from win 7 Home, to win 8 Pro, clearing all apps and private data;

2)Without applying any updates to win 8 Pro, upgraded directly into Win 10 Pro;

3)Installed all my stuff, the Nvidia drivers were actually automatically installed , for my GTX 650 Ti, at the 2nd reboot of the PC, latest version!

4) By the end of the afternoon, sim install began and I can happily report that:

- Aerowinx PSX is working beautifully, as well as Visual PSX

- ASN for P3D v2 is working like a charm ( v5689 - latest public beta)

- P3Dv2.5 ( latest release ) is also working smooth and silk!

I am now a very happy win 10 Pro user :-))))))

P.S.: I just didn't yet figure out where to get my win 10 Pro key from, should I need to install it again one day ?  Any hints ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

P.S.: I just didn't yet figure out where to get my win 10 Pro key from, should I need to install it again one day ? Any hints ?

Download Speecy from Piriform.com and check the "Operating System" section.

Thx Linux!  I actually have some of their tools, and was about to install a much more complex one - great suggestion!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I just didn't yet figure out where to get my win 10 Pro key from, should I need to install it again one day ?  Any hints ?

You don't, it's *believed* to be stored at MS some kind of Hardware ID hash.  Hence if you replace your motherboard you'll have the joy of ringing MS and (from what i have read) may have to rebuy the O/S

You don't enter the key at all, on a clean install you skip that and it registers itself.

Ian R Tyldesley

You don't, it's *believed* to be stored at MS some kind of Hardware ID hash. Hence if you replace your motherboard you'll have the joy of ringing MS and (from what i have read) may have to rebuy the O/S

You don't enter the key at all, on a clean install you skip that and it registers itself.

That's only true for OEM licenses of Windows.

That's only true for OEM licenses of Windows.

It's true for all upgrades from 7 or 8.

Only the store bought copies of 10 get a code to enter

Ian R Tyldesley