Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

Don't upgrade to Windows 10 yet.

You don't, it's *believed* to be stored at MS some kind of Hardware ID hash.  Hence if you replace your motherboard you'll have the joy of ringing MS and (from what i have read) may have to rebuy the O/S

You don't enter the key at all, on a clean install you skip that and it registers itself.

Yes I can verify this myself.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Try what Linux 731 suggested - works perfect!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Windows 10 is great, maybe a little trashy in areas and a bit like Apples OS, but all in all I am very happy with it! X-Plane works great, and the annoying bugs 8.1 had are now gone. Its a cleaner OS and I am glad the start menu is back. 

but with Win10 you no longer have a Personal PC.

You lost your personal PC the first day your computer connected to the Internet.

You lost your financial privacy with your first mortgage.

You lost your personal privacy with the first e mail offer you responded to.

So don't think for a minute that you are going to lose anything with Win10 because you lost it all years ago.

Or filed a tax return ...

Cheers, Rob.

he's dead jim. lol thanks for the prospective.

regards ted kiser 

And on that note i am doing a speed run in windows 10 with pmdg 777,asn opus,fscaptain fscommander from kiah to phnl in pr3d.

So i think it works real good fps 60 with high settings.with megascenary all the way. 

regards ted kiser

You lost your personal PC the first day your computer connected to the Internet.

You lost your personal privacy with the first e mail offer you responded to.

So don't think for a minute that you are going to lose anything with Win10 because you lost it all years ago.

Brilliant Jim! Couldn't think of a better way to put it !

And, indeed, you can, during the install, or after that, close the "doors" that most users are talking about - it is totally configurable.

I wouldn't get back - NO WAY!

P3Dv2.5, ASN, PSX are working totally smooth and without problem. It's stable, and probably because it was an install from scratch, I get the impression of better frame rates.

I like win 10's interface too.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Don't have a mortgage Jim, both of my homes are paid for a long time ago.

Cheers.

I don't think it will increase performance compared to win8.1. Maybe if you do a fresh install you leave some viruses etc. and gain 1FPS or so...

How much HD space will a update need? I have currently only 2GB free on C: will that be ok?

I don't think it will increase performance compared to win8.1. Maybe if you do a fresh install you leave some viruses etc. and gain 1FPS or so...

How much HD space will a update need? I have currently only 2GB free on C: will that be ok?

Typically 12-17GB so no, 2 won't be anywhere near enough !

Don't have a mortgage Jim, both of my homes are paid for a long time ago.

Cheers.

OK with your bank account then. I'm sure you have one of those somewhere, or maybe you just pay all your bills with cash.

Typically 12-17GB so no, 2 won't be anywhere near enough !

Oops seems I need a new ssd as there's no way I free that much space. Any ideas on how to copy a 500GB SSD to a new 2000GB? Obviously I need Windows on partition 2 to have more space. Without reinstallation of anything including MBR. Partition 3 is Linux ext4 and 4 is Mac...

Many thanks

Just be absolutely sure to check all 13 option pages to make sure you've turned off all of the tattle-tales...

...just saying! Win10 seems more intrusive than the NSA. :He He:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator