Sign in to follow this  
TC011

Texture Issue

I have been away from Flight Simulation for about three years.  When I first fired up the simulator everything was just as had last used it three years ago.  Everything ran fine, textures were what I considered perfect, I had no issues.  But, I couldn't leave things alone.  Since I had some minor surgery on my ankle and my movements where somewhat limited I again started into the heavy usage of the program.  I wanted to be as real as I could be, but I needed to get back up to speed.  So I ran a couple of flights and got my bearings again.

For my textures I was running Ground Environment 1, but I also had a copy of Ground Environment Pro II.  I elected to uninstall GE1 and installed GEPII.  Everything worked great!  I was running RCV4, GEPII and heavy AI aircraft without any problems.  I have I5 processor, lots of memory and a decent graphics card.  There were no problems.

Then something happened.  My texture ring around my aircraft (site lines) somehow became greatly reduced.  I don't believe that I am seeing more that 2-3 miles at 4000 feet before a I get the blurries.  I made no changes to my FS9.CFG file and I had left my scenery setting alone.  I reinstalled GEPII, but the site lines remained the same. I reinstall GE1 and the site lines remained the same.  I ran defragged my hard drive, and even ran a program that looked for duplicate textures, still the problem remains.  I shutdown programs in my windows startup, cleanout cookies and temp files.

Its been a while since I trouble shot problems on my sim.  What else should I be looking at to resolve the issue?

Tom

My texture ring around my aircraft (site lines) somehow became greatly reduced. I don't believe that I am seeing more that 2-3 miles at 4000 feet before a I get the blurries. I made no changes to my FS9.CFG file and I had left my scenery setting alone.

Hi Tom,

You might try taking a look at your FS9.CFG file and check the [TERRAIN] section to see if those settings are what you would expect. I suspect the textures are okay and your {TERRAIN] settings were somehow messed up (It happens). If you aren't sure about what the settings should be you can move or delete the FS9.CFG file and restart FS9. That will cause FS9 to create a new FS9.CFG file in which case you would need to restore your preferred settings from within the GUI. Or if you wish here is an example of my settings you can refer to.

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.5
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.0
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

I hope this is of some help. Please let me / us know of the outcome.

Regards,

Mel thanks for your input.

With the exception of two lines my terrain settings mirrored your settings.  The differences were terrain max vertex level 19/20 and terrain extended radius 4.5/9.0.  I updated my fs9.cfg to match yours, but the problem still remains.  I also renamed my fs9.cfg file to let the simulator rebuild itself, but the problem still remains.  I took my computer into a repair service to run a better virus scanner, but they found no virus issues.

I thinking about reloading FS9, but I was really hoping to find a better solution.  Currently my version of flight simulator totals close to 60 gig.  It will be a major task to rebuild.  Before I take it down I'll need a plan on putting it back together.

If you think of anything else please post.

Tom

Did you possibly change the anisotropic filtering settings, either in FS9 or in your video card settings..?

Bert

Or: did you install an updated video driver, or other system update?

There is always System Restore, if you dare...

Video drivers were updated in early March, no problems at that time.  Checked the video card settings and everything looks fine.

Thank you for your advice

Tom

Problem moves throughout the sim.  I noticed this morning that when I load the sim, it appears that it is not loading completely.  That is after I load, select an airport/flight plan and begin the flight, the texture problem begins.  If I select the alt key, to change a parameter, I see a grayed out information box in the middle of the screen.  It may be the original load box you see when you first load the sim (weather, texture, traffic) but it appears that something is either not finishing its load or that the box is just hanging up after it completes. 

When I later go back to the alt key the box no longer shows, but the problem still remains.

Tom

It appears the approximately 82% of the scenery is loading.  I hit the scenery refresh option 3 or 4 times at various stages of the flight and the scenery status bar completed at the 82% mark each time.

Tom

Bert,

I did a reset of my NVIDA configuration and the problem cleared.  I did a reset to a default configuration and then increased my configuration options to what I had before the problem and my scenery issues cleared.

Looking back, I had a video driver update embedded in one of the monthly Microsoft Updates.  That update may have caused the problem, but I don't have enough data to point at it being the sole reason.

Thanks

Tom

Could well be.  Either way, if the problem is solved.. Great!  :P

Bert