Sign in to follow this  
tasev1

777 Cargo loading

Hey there.  I am using SimBrief for my planning software.  One thing I never knew how to do properly is knowing how to load cargo on the 777 and 737.  By default, I use 40 to 60 pounds per passenger, and spread the load evenly between front and rear holds, plus a bit to account for carry-ons.

I know that the baggage containers weigh, and though not so much on the 737, the 777 undoubtedly carries additional cargo loads to destination.

So, how can I figure out realistic cargo loads?

Aleksandar Djordjevic

WAT528.png

You can't.  Each airline and route is different.  For example, the largest cargo carrier that is not a cargo company in the US is SWA.  Cargo going to Las Vegas is going to exceed cargo going to Midland TX.

I prefer to play pilot instead of dispatch and just select a ZFW that I want to work with for the flight.  Sometimes I max out the ZFW and sometimes I go light, just depends on the route and time of day.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have watched two videos of real flights one with the B777-200ER (EHAM-KJFK) and one with the -300ER (LFPG-KJFK) and they had respectively 10000kg and 15000kg. Therefore it is what I usually use for my flight.

Off course as Dan said it must vary greatly depending on the routes and flights but at least I now these two values are realistic.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Ok, thanks.  So just guestimating then.  I'll keep going with my usual weights.

Is there at least an average number of baggage weight to passenger?

Aleksandar Djordjevic

WAT528.png

I just press the "random" button in PFPX a few times, and that's my ZFW for the day :)

I also use Sim Brief and I set the cargo value to the maximum. On the 737-NGX @45,000 lbs, on the 777 @ 131,000 lbs. You might as well figure that a "real" airline would pack the max to each flight. When I fly with Delta VA, they tell me how many pasengers, and that is what I use for passenger loading on both PMDG's. When I fly SWA, they don't tell you a loading factor, so I use Random on that.

That's my opinion.

If you are looking for real world values to represent passenger and baggage weights, my operation utilizes 160 pounds for an adult pax in the winter, and 155 in the summer. Children are 70 pounds. Baggage weights are 40 pounds per bag. The multiplier for bags per pax is typically about 1.2. Cargo weights obviously fluctuate drastically, fuel load, cargo bookings, and volume play a large role in that.