Sign in to follow this  
fulcrum_64th

VRS F/A-18E and its tacpack has been release for P3D academic

VRS cannot tell if the end user is using P3D Pro for commercial purposes. You cant exactly expect them to take your word for it. So if you want to run on Pro you have to pay a Pro price. If you want to run on academic you will get the academic price. No commercial user would want the watermark.

Unfortunately, a lot of non-commercial users don't want a watermark either. Other developers sell commercial software in non-e-commerce sales channels. But VRS has to be special and come up with their own rules, definitions of the licenses and broad assumptions. Does A2A say if you have a Pro license, you MUST be commercial? No. Does PMDG? No. Milviz? No. And so on... So why aren't those three (and everyone else) making such blanket assumptions? How can they survive that way? VRS seems to have been dragged into P3D and maybe this is a petulant way of setting their own terms. Who knows? All we can go off is appearances and make idle speculation, because their public statements don't really make any sense from a business standpoint, an English-language comprehension of P3D license standpoint or compared to what the wider flight sim industry is doing. I mean if you really buy what they are saying, then every other developer is just crazy or stupid. Maybe VRS' lawyers (if any were actually involved) were just trying to justify their retainers and had to come up with something novel (and 'novelly' bad). There is not exactly a commercial flight sim enterprise around every corner. It doesn't take much beyond a cursory Google search to find commercial sims flying the Rhino and see if they are customers. Made easier even because VRS handles their own sales channels.

VRS actually does have commercial operators of their Superbug and TACPACK. And their commercial license comes with a whole lot more than just the superbug and TACPACK. I don't know how PMDG or A2A support their P3D licenses and I wont comment on Milviz but VRS has given valid reasons which can be found on their forums if one does a search. Their efforts to protect their property are perfectly reasonable. The only reason anyone can feel it isn't is because they don't know what is involved. VRS is not A2A, nor PMDG, nor Milviz. Each of the afore named developers is very different and cannot be compared.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

VRS is one a very few third party developers that has a product (TacPack for P3d Pro) that competes directly with an LM product (P3d Pro Plus).

BTW, there is another product that is similar to TacPack and works under P3d Pro. Dino C. used to develop aircraft for it. I'm not going to mention it because it is off topic.

Their efforts to protect their property are perfectly reasonable.

That is debatable but probably correct, even though you stated you didn't know how they do it. I can give you primer on their pricing/licensing structures or you can visit their websites.

VRS has given valid reasons

I base everything I have on the reasons given on the VRS forum, it is just that they are not necessarily valid...and the assumptions are downright off the reservation. VRS does not HAVE to assume that all Pro users are commercial entities, simply because that is contrary to license categories for P3D. Neither common sense nor metrics will ever justify that assumption. If you want to create your own licensing categories, that is perfectly fine, just don't tie them to P3D licensing categories which don't correspond and cover different classes of users.

Each of the afore named developers is very different and cannot be compared.

Yes, yes we get that VRS is special and unique and industry practices don't apply to them. 

VRS is one a very few third party developers that has a product

and unfortunately P3D users are forced to tie their Superbug to Tacpack whether they want it or not....unlike FSX...if they are allowed use it at all. 

VRS is one a very few third party developers that has a product (TacPack for P3d Pro) that competes directly with an LM product (P3d Pro Plus).

BTW, there is another product that is similar to TacPack and works under P3d Pro. Dino C. used to develop aircraft for it. I'm not going to mention it because it is off topic.

if there is some reason you can't mention the name of this product on the forum, please pm me the name. I would like to take a look at it.

Thanks

Terry

I guess these discussions about licenses and how devs interpret it are leading to nothing but conflicts. It is how it is. I am a P3D v2.x Pro-non-comercial-user just started to write reviews for an german online FS mag and i am not willing to pay 4000 USD license of TacPack in order to have some dogfight fun.

The cheapest way would be to get P3D2 Academic license aside to the Pro license. Ah stop neither i am a student nor under 18. But if now how should i manage to install another copy of P3D2 on my rig. I assume that this is not going to happen as the installer wont let me... Besides that i would break LM EULA as im a few days older than 18  :(  :unsure:

Sounds like a dilemma, right ....? At this stage i have to save my 100 USD for something else :(

Nevertheless i respect VRS decision.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Hi, I think the people who don't want to buy the products are being a bit churlish - the superbug is one of the best developed and supported products for FSX and the TACPAC brings some much needed functionality that makes FSX or P3d not far short of products like DCS. Personally , I think it behoves us to support such developers, who are pushing the sim forwards all the time ( all this stuff trickles down). I dont know the economics, but  I am sure none of the staff are driving lambos and smoking fine cigars everyday at our expense.......and these are the people keeping FSX and our hobby alive. 

I just migrated to p3d and have spent a few hundred dollars on p3d versions of various planes and add-ons, not to mention 2 copies of p3d, one for my win7 install, as I was having controller issues and am using a dual boot install, win 7 and win10. I do appreciate not everyone has the disposable income, however, if you can, these people need our support.

Hi, I think the people who don't want to buy the products are being a bit churlish - the superbug is one of the best developed and supported products for FSX and the TACPAC brings some much needed functionality that makes FSX or P3d not far short of products like DCS. Personally , I think it behoves us to support such developers, who are pushing the sim forwards all the time ( all this stuff trickles down). I dont know the economics, but  I am sure none of the staff are driving lambos and smoking fine cigars everyday at our expense.......and these are the people keeping FSX and our hobby alive. 

Hi Mark,

i second that. I like the VRS Superbug had it for FSX. But FSX vanished from my HDD and will never find its way back. I do want to support HQ Dev Studios like VRS and yes i am keen on the Bug+TacPack for two reasons 1.) to have loads of fun and flying different jets loaded with TacPack having carrier and refuelling missions and 2.) to write a review about it, but sorry not for 4000 USD. That is at least for me way over the top. For double the price of the academic i would consider to give it a shot.

Greetz

MJ

youtubefooter.jpg

if there is some reason you can't mention the name of this product on the forum, please pm me the name. I would like to take a look at it.

Thanks

Terry

Terry, I just didn't want to derail this thread. Go to Dino Cattaeno's blog:

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/?m=1

And look at one of his Italian fighter jets. The specs mention the product.

I guess these discussions about licenses and how devs interpret it are leading to nothing but conflicts. It is how it is. I am a P3D v2.x Pro-non-comercial-user just started to write reviews for an german online FS mag and i am not willing to pay 4000 USD license of TacPack in order to have some dogfight fun.

The cheapest way would be to get P3D2 Academic license aside to the Pro license. Ah stop neither i am a student nor under 18. But if now how should i manage to install another copy of P3D2 on my rig. I assume that this is not going to happen as the installer wont let me... Besides that i would break LM EULA as im a few days older than 18  :(  :unsure:

Sounds like a dilemma, right ....? At this stage i have to save my 100 USD for something else :(

Nevertheless i respect VRS decision.

Why don´t you just go ahaed and get an Academic Licence? How will LM find out that you´re not supposed to?  I´ve just checked the EULA, nothing said about any age constraint for Academic Licence.

Why don´t you just go ahaed and get an Academic Licence? How will LM find out that you´re not supposed to?  I´ve just checked the EULA, nothing said about any age constraint for Academic Licence.

You're right, age is completely irrelevant to P3D's EULA for Academic, just as commercial use is completely irrelevant to P3D's EULA for Pro. Now you are asking him to add $260 to an already expensive addon ($60 for Academic and $200 wasted for Pro) for watermarked software? And the use of the addon will be exactly the same (i.e. non-commercial)? Is that even semi-rational? A better idea would be just re-install FSX and use that, if one is OK with going back to FSX.  

I think the people who don't want to buy the products are being a bit churlish

You misunderstand, none of those posts are from people who don't want to buy the Superbug. They are people who do want to buy it (most of whom probably already had it in FSX) just not under extortionate circumstances. I supported VRS by buying the FSX Superbug and Tacpack (heck I even pre-ordered Tacpack long long long before it was released although I quickly uninstalled Tacpack and stuck with the base Bug). VRS (and clearly many of their fans) have simply asked those of us with P3D Pro licenses to make far too big and patently unreasonable sacrifices.

You're right, age is completely irrelevant to P3D's EULA for Academic, just as commercial use is completely irrelevant to P3D's EULA for Pro. Now you are asking him to add $260 to an already expensive addon ($60 for Academic and $200 wasted for Pro) for watermarked software? And the use of the addon will be exactly the same (i.e. non-commercial)? Is that even semi-rational? A better idea would be just re-install FSX and use that, if one is OK with going back to FSX.  

You misunderstand, none of those posts are from people who don't want to buy the Superbug. They are people who do want to buy it (most of whom probably already had it in FSX) just not under extortionate circumstances. I supported VRS by buying the FSX Superbug and Tacpack (heck I even pre-ordered Tacpack long long long before it was released although I quickly uninstalled Tacpack and stuck with the base Bug). VRS (and clearly many of their fans) have simply asked those of us with P3D Pro licenses to make far too big and patently unreasonable sacrifices.

Hi, I think the people who don't want to buy the products are being a bit churlish 

That is exactly what i meant. I wouldnt call the majority of P3D2 Pro users churlish as they dont want to spend 4000 USD for just another but maybe even well developed FS addon.

For me there is no way to go back to FSX just for the TacPack either. So even as i do want to buy and support VRS but not in the way VRS want us Pro users to. With that said ,like Rob, i supported them in buying the Superbug for FSX.

IMHO it is time for us users ,of whatever license we have, to rethink which add on devs we want to support and which not in terms of their license policies. I went with PMDG, Iris and F1 to name afew. For the time being i dont see myself, in respect, in going down the VRS license policy road.

My support ends with 4000 USD for the Superbug+TacPack!!! 

Greetz

MJ

youtubefooter.jpg

"You misunderstand, none of those posts are from people who don't want to buy the Superbug. They are people who do want to buy it (most of whom probably already had it in FSX) just not under extortionate circumstances."
True for me.

Generally speaking now, IMO.
With each new version of P3D (P3D goes from e.g. ver 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3 to 2.4 to 2.5 etc.) exists the potential problem of repurchasing the same software (P3D itself/scenery/aircrafts/addons) again from many developers to keep current (some software only works with the newest P3D version e.g.).

I did purchase the VRS Bug and TacPack for FSX and I have not had to repurchase the entire product(s) ever again ((because FSX has not been updated) … a good thing) .. but I had to purchase VRS extended download service later for the Bug and TacPack for FSX.

To keep products and product support current is getting very expensive.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I have purchased both F/A-18 and the Tacpack and i'm loving it, I have been waiting on the release of Tacpack for Prepar3d for ages and this now allows me to start binning off FSX. I didn't have any issues with VRS charging for this as its a completely new product line, and fair play to them for giving such a discount! These are not normal products either, the F/A-18 is a high end product, Tacpack is a Prepar3d system upgrade that allows you to drop and fire weapons!

OK, I understand the money is a touchy subject. I have to say, if I count up the money I have spent on scenery, planes & addons for FSX in the last 6 years or so, it would be several hundreds of pounds, probably not far short of $2,000.......many of those, I now dont use, I often think what i should do with them, most you cant pass on, because of the licence. Once I have fully migrated to P3D, I would have the mother of all set ups to dispose of!