Sign in to follow this  
Joe Flyer2

Missing FTX Central... I just don't get it.

"Hello everyone!!!

I am back from yet another long lul away from AVSIM.NET. I guess that means FSX has few problems for me :).

So let's start:

The Background Story:

Approximately one year ago to the day (well, 355 days to be exact), I purchased ORBX's FTX Global BASE. I was a fairly seasoned user of FSX, but at the time, I was new to the whole Payware Add-on thing, and I wasn't too big on tweaking my FSX.cfg. So as you can imagine, by FPS was not entirely amazing.

With that said, I happily downloaded FTX Global, pretty much everything went smoothly, and it installed, along with FTX Central, in which I could enable the "Vector Lights," and "ORBX Trees" (I'm saying this off of memory, so excuse me if these are not the exact titles of those two features).

I loaded up FSX, and I must say... it was truly beautiful, there, sitting on Runway 4L at Newark Liberty International. But I remember the elephant in the room: My FPS was pretty bad, probably floating around 10 or lower.

So, being less educated on the architecture of FSX at the time, I uninstalled, or at least attempted to "uninstall," FTX Global.  However, being that I don't think that I made a World Scenery Backup, the whole ORBX add-on never truly uninstalled, especially since I think I may have quit out of the uninstaller midway due to a complication I can't quite remember. As a result, small fragments of ORBX's FTX Global BASE still remain in FSX.

So, throughout the duration of approximately 349 days -- up until this past week -- I was using FSX as normal, of course, longing for a new add-on along with my REX 4 Textures and Airbus X Extended (which I love AND recommend).

I soon remembered that I have FTX Global. In fact, I always remembered, but was always upset at the inability of my computer to run FTX Global with my add-ons.

-----------------------
But meanwhile, I have been tweaking my FSX.cfg file for quite a while, and within the last two weeks, I found out more about the "BUFFERPOOLS Tweak" and "AffinityMask" tweak. I had already had both of them, but neither of them, from what I recall, were set correctly.
-----------------------

So now, at this point, I felt (and feel) like I have mastered my FSX.cfg. So, I decided to install FTX Global BASE. Just to see.

And now... the issue:

I installed FTX Global. Eager since I had not used $100 worth of software in nearly one whole year. But it occurred to me, upon installation, three fairly major things:

1.) ORBX asks to make a World Scenery Backup folder. Last year, and even this time that I installed, it was never directly mentioned in the installer that failure to make a Backup would result in the inability to properly uninstall ORBX. They, in my opinion, should have had that in big red print on the installer, as it is really important in my opinion. Obviously, it wasn't until I read the User's Guide that I discovered that this was so (the inability to uninstall).

2.) Later in the installation, when the files were being applied to FSX, I got a minor error message saying something along the lines of an issue applying one of the Bitmap.bmp files. I simply selected "Retry" (to re-attempt installing that one Bitmap.bmp file), and all was well.

3.) But it wasn't until I reached near the end (or perhaps the end) of the installation that I got the following ERROR message:

"Access to C:\Program Flies (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\\ORBX\Scripts\FTXLights_Day.exe was denied"

Upon pressing "Okay" on this error message, the installer quit out, and the Unwrapper, which waits until the Installer finished, was left open. I pressed "Finish" on the upwrapper, only to finds something peculiar.

-------------

I looked on my taskbar, and all of the way to the right, I could see what I firmly believe was the Installer Icon. Weird enough, what I think keeps happening is that the Installer window closes, but the application itself remains open. I can not re-open the Installer window, nor can I close out of the Installer unless I use the Task Manager, which I eventually had to do.

Unfortunately, this was not my only issue.

I discovered that the FTX Central application was nowhere to be found on my computer. This is unfortunate, as I did not have the ability to select lights, trees, Default/Global, etc setra from FTX Global.

So, I figured, big whop, so what.

I opened up FSX, only to find that none of the scenery was actually present!!! Only the default textures were present!!!

------------------

So, to add:

This has happened to me three to four times within the past few days. All with the same outcome. I tried re-downloading it twice, but the new files seemed to have made no change. I even tried running the application as Administrator, but that didn't work.

I just repeatedly get the same error, with NO FTX Central, and no FTX Global BASE Textures present in FSX.

Oddly enough, the ORBX file is right there in the FSX directory, but it seems to be doing nothing.

I am not necessarily angry... I am just highly frustrated and confused.

So my two main questions are:

- How can I fix these/the error message?

- Where the heck is FTX Central?

NOTE: I know it says FTX Central won't appear if I have no other ORBX FTX regions installed, but theoretically, the FTX Central application is still supposed to install. Even then, the FTX Global Textures won't appear.

I am using a GENUINE, perfectly legal copy of FTX Global Base. I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, equipped with the proper Microsoft.NET Framework 4.1.5, along Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition.

Please help, and any help of such is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe N.

If you ever lose FTX Central, or it becomes corrupted, simply download and install the latest Orbx Libraries download, and it will fix / replace FTX Central, with the latest version.

(Very important to always install the correct version for your sim, below!)

Latest Orbx Libraries (FSX version) :-

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0By8a-7jAShVrUmlzSWl6WE1zeDQ

Latest Orbx Libraries (P3D2 version) :-

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0By8a-7jAShVrUXVrYUhqNDIwc3c

+~Craig~ Thanks. I will try that now.

UPDATE:

+~Craig~ Hmmm... no cigar. It still didn't work. I, once again, get the ERROR Message:

"Access to C:\Program Flies (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\\ORBX\Scripts\FTXLights_Day.exe was denied"

The above is the same message I kept getting when installing FTX Global. It doesn't look significant, but I think it is. This error message is especially odd because such a file location was never installed [properly].

On top of that, I seriously recommend you check those files you linked to me in your first post on this thread. It seems as though they might be infected with a Trojan virus :angry:. Luckily, my awesome anti-virus wiped it out in an instant, so no worries for me on that one :lol:.

Either way, I think I've determined that my main problem is that error message.

Thanks, anyway.

Joe N.  

The above is the same message I kept getting when installing FTX Global. It doesn't look significant, but I think it is. This error message is especially odd because such a file location was never installed [properly].

Try running the FTX global installer as Administrator

On top of that, I seriously recommend you check those files you linked to me in your first post on this thread. It seems as though they might be infected with a Trojan virus

Those were direct links to the downloads on the Orbx website's Support page. I highly doubt they'll be infected with viruses.  Far more likely a false-positive by your 'awesome anti-virus software'. :smile:

why not post your issue  in the ftx  forum sure  they will give  you the right directions  to solve your issues

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Did you try to uninstall it? Then re-download and reinstall it?

Btw, that post was absolutely massive  :lol:

Did you try to uninstall it? Then re-download and reinstall it?

he did mentioned  that he tried to uninstall it  and  then he tried  to re installed it  where he is having  issues  now

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

he did mentioned  that he tried to uninstall it  and  then he tried  to re installed it  where he is having  issues  now

Oh, sorry. I'm a bit tired  :lol:

why not post your issue  in the ftx  forum sure  they will give  you the right directions  to solve your issues

+1

UPDATE: Yes, I know my original post is massive :lol:. Anyway, I'll try to do some of the recommended things as posted above, including reverting to the FTX Forums. I'll try to start tomorrow :). Thanks. I'll report back here with my results.  

Also, I would like to bid a farewell to Mr. Tom Allensworth and Maik Korolczuk. May they both rest in peace and may God Bless their souls.  

A few thoughts.

1. A rate of 10 FPS is a symptom of any or all of a poor install of FSX or Global, in-game settings being too high or FSX being poorly configured. Orbx Global should not cause any significant drops in frame rates.

2. The first item of advice anyone will give so far as installing FSX is concerned is to never install it to the Program Files (x86) folder which is chosen by default. That folder gives a much higher measure of security which you simply do not want and will cause problems with permissions. Set up a new folder (eg C:\FSX) and install the sim to that. All your add-ons should find this install folder without any problems.

3. You clearly have a rather over-zealous AV program (Norton, by any chance?) judging by the fact it has picked up a false positive from the Orbx download. Aside from ditching the AV (if it is Norton) I would suggest you disable it when installing Global and/or Orbx libs as that could well be the reason for the "Access......denied" error message. And, of course, install as administrator

4. The latest Orbx libs need to be installed after every new Orbx install....as already mentioned.

Quite honestly, if you do not have a great deal of add-ons as seems to be the case I would ditch your current install and start again unless, of course, the people at Orbx have something else to suggest. 

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

"Access to C:\Program Flies (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\\ORBX\Scripts\FTXLights_Day.exe was denied""

Some virus programs (mine included) treat this as a virus and disable access to it.  May be worth reinstalling but disable your virus scanner first,  and if you can once installed exclude this file from real time scanning.

Regards

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

How do I change the folder path for FTX Global in the installer?

Never mind. I guess I'll have to do it the unorthodox way...

I'll move the installed ORBX folder manually to FSX. It's kind of a b****, if you ask me.

How do I change the folder path for FTX Global in the installer?

Never mind. I guess I'll have to do it the unorthodox way...

I'll move the installed ORBX folder manually to FSX. It's kind of a b****, if you ask me.

When you install Global it should automatically find the correct folder no matter where your FSX is installed. No manual changes are required.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton