Sign in to follow this  
surlybonds

On Line Backup

Just wondering, since I've lost 2 hard drives over the last several years and have had to reload all my FS stuff and it taking 2-3 months to do so - Does anyone use Carbonite or another on line backup program?  how does it work for you - is it a simple reload back onto a new HD?  I have all my FS stuff on a separate drive, but there are still plenty of things that end up on my main drive.  so even when just the main drive went down, I still had to reload everything.  Any ideas?

Thanks much and happy Easter!!

I do use online backup but not for everything. I currently require 494 GB to backup everything which is too pricey for online backup as well it takes far too long to backup and restore. You have to consider that would require approximately $600 per year for storage not including your monthly internet usage, for which I have an 80 GB per month package from my internet provider so this option is very expensive and far too slow. My current online storage is using about 4 GB of space so you wouldn't really use that as a primary storage space, just stuff you want to access while on the go.

Best method for data storage is always use three locations. My best solution is my SATA HDD Internal drive that my stuff is located on, plus a second SATA HDD internal drive that backups to that location frequently, plus a third USB drive that you can backup to weekly and that one I lock on a fire resistant safe. If one drive goes then their is a second one to restore from, plus the third external one as extra assurance. It would take a tremendous fire or tsunami lose all of my data and if that happened I would probably not really care as my problems would be greater then the loss in data

SATA HDD Drives are very cheap these days so buy two of them and use a Disk Mirroring program

Matthew Kane

Oh yeah one other thing. Online storage is not a fool proof system either because Internet companies are bought, sold, consolidated, bankrupt or up on copyright charges from the FBI etc, so don't be surprised if you wake up one day and try to access your files and they are gone.

Matthew Kane

Matt, thanks so much for the advice, I thought I had a handle on backup security, yet based on what I read here from you,  you can never add enough redundancy.  I basically only keep critical data on one backup, an external USB 3.0 drive.  This means I use Acronis True Image to make disk images of my "c" drive and the drive that houses FSX/p3d on the external drive, on a weekly basis.  And i do a daily backup of "my documents" and important FSX data not kept on the separate internal drives using Acronis's File backup feature on 2 other internal drives, separate from the drives they are backed up from of course.  Not into online backups at all, but I do keep my picture folders backed up on some free cloud providers, i.e. dropbox or google drive.

Anyhow, i have now added taking those images and placing copy of each on one more additional, unrelated drive, for added assurance as you say.  

I've been using Carbonite for nearly 2 years and have found only the mirror image backup portion to be of any use.

User files backup I find better with google and Microsoft Onedrive.

Mirror image backup I think is essential for flight simmers.

I don't plan to continue using Carbonite and will try other dedicated programs like Acronis for mirror image backup.

Cheers

I cant say enough praise for acronis. Pretty easy to figure out, and it works seamlessly. Takes the tedium and chore out of backups. It has saved my butt quite a few times, both the file backups and hard drive disk image backups. run, don't walk, to get it!

I use a 4TB Western Digital "Personal Cloud" for backup protection. Using its supplied utility, I have a full image of my C:\ drive, which is kept up to date via a nightly incremental change routine.

I also have a folder set up to which immediate mirror copies of all work-in-progress files are maintained.  It's deeply comforting to watch via Explorer as a mirrored copy of the mesh I am working on in Max2012 is faithfully created on my WDPC... :Applause:

I also have another partition set up so that co-workers have immediate and full remote (ftp) access to designated folders and files for any given project. This level of redundancy is priceless.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I use a Lenovo ix2-dl NAS in raid-1 mode for back ups. I have an additional external drive hooked up to the usb port on the nas to back up the really important stuff with additional redundancy. I use Acronis true image to create images of my fsx pc's hard drives and store them on the nas. In the event of a fire or theft all is still lost so I use amazon prime to back up the REALLY important stuff...family photos and videos.

I have a 2x3Tb Synology NAS that I use for backups.  Still kind of slow for a full backup of everything.  Critical financial data I also back to a flash drive and at times burn a dvd.  I use Macrium Reflect for backup software which I find works well for me.

scott s.

I'll admit, I'm a bit more paranoid than most. The reason is that I once lost everything due to a multiple-drive RAID failure during a move, with lack of a real backup.

My current setup is:

- All machines in the house back up to a 16TB NAS (NAS also has all my FS archive stuff, all my DVD's which I've ripped, music, etc etc)

- That NAS (QNAP) is mirrored (rsync) to another 16TB NAS (Synology).

- The QNAP NAS has a couple external USB HDD's which stuff is backed up to.

- Everything is backed up/sync'd online via CrashPlan

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

I use a Lenovo ix2-dl NAS in raid-1 mode for back ups. I have an additional external drive hooked up to the usb port on the nas to back up the really important stuff with additional redundancy. I use Acronis true image to create images of my fsx pc's hard drives and store them on the nas. In the event of a fire or theft all is still lost so I use amazon prime to back up the REALLY important stuff...family photos and videos.

that seems to mirror my strategy.  I can't bring myself to put my backups on the cloud, but I won't hesitate for photos for some reason....I wish I could explain why.