Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

Activesky 6.5 question

Hello

If my flight is going to take about three hours, should I download three hours of archived weather for Asky 6.5

I used to do this but have recently taken to just downloading 1hr (its quicker ,and I cant see any difference or  advantage in downloading three.  )

andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Why do you need to download ? Does AS6.5 not have real time updates anymore ?

Peter Schluter

Hello

I like to match the time of my flight to the weather conditions that prevailed at the time.

Sometimes these times match and I can therefore use the 'live' download.

If not I use the archive option.

Cheers

Andy

Ah

Ah ha!

Just realised what you are saying.

Now I have got a new more powerful PC I may give the live option a try again.

I felt this choice had some impact on performance on my old setup.

Does using live weather cause stutters as it updates itself?

Cheers

Andy

Does using live weather cause stutters as it updates itself?

I have never found that to be the case. I set my update interval to 15 minutes. I am using ASE.

Peter Schluter

I have never found that to be the case. I set my update interval to 15 minutes. I am using ASE.

OK! Thanks

I will give the live updates ago on tonights flight.

I completely forgot about that option.

Cheers Andy

PS

If using live updates, does that effect your flight plan arrival runway option ?

I guess it would, and would mean flight plan alteration whilst airborne.

I do know this done (in the real world I believe) nonetheless a bit of a pain)

Cheers Andy

Andy, yes it will have an effect if the arrival wind changes direction during your flight. This is realistic.

You should delay programming your arrival runway into the FMC (if you use one) until you are late in the cruise and know more about the latest arrival weather.

Peter Schluter

I prefer archived weather so on the basis of location and time zones from where I am located it rather follows the Z time of my flight. FS is set to saved flight time. I download the departure time archive and let AS do its dynamic weather progression.

To be clearer:

I am in Minnesota. If I set up at a departure for noon from EGLL but I am conducting the session at 6PM Minnesota time I want the archived noon weather for EGLL (approximately 0000Z) which in DST is five hours ahead. (I use the previous day in this instance.) Real time would give me 11:00 PM at EGLL. Solar effects would be all incorrect which affects winds, vertical drafts and turbulence, etc.

I put an arrived flight plan for a 747-400 filed to flightaware.com leaving KJFK to EGLL into fsbuild which links to AS65 using archived weather for Z time of the flight departure. The logged duration of the flight on flightaware was only fifteen minutes different from the predicted duration in fsbuild. That's pretty good for a pond crossing. Now I did process the plan in AS65 for proper station reporting and weather progression.

Just my way of syncing weather to FS flight time.

If you are flying locally in real time where your departure is your local time then real time makes sense.

Hello Ronzie

I 'think' I was doing the same as you ie downloading archives to match my flight time wherever I was in the world.

I am going back to doing just that.

Andy