I felt the blue mantle of space,
And kissed the cloud's white hem,
I heard the stars’ majestic choir,
And sang my praise with them.

Now joy is mine through my long night,
I do not feel the rod,
For I have danced the streets of heaven,
And touched the face of God.

Farewell Tom.  You'll be missed but never forgotten.

I was very saddened to hear this news. Tom struck me as a true gentleman, though not one to roll over and take any nonsense. He was very accommodating when I wished to return to the forum having let my old membership lapse. We even had a bit of a banter about the lunatic fringe of the forum that can be off putting at best. He hinted at the trials and tribulations he put up with from some quarters running this place, stuff most would not put up with.

He and his family can be proud of his legacy (though I'm sure it represents a tiny part of this man’s life) Avsim is a great (the best) resource for this wonderful hobby of ours.

May he rest in peace.

Having just returned from holiday I am shocked and very saddened to hear this news. To me the name Tom Allensworth has always been synonymous with AVSIM and will remain so for as long as I live and breathe. We have often looked to Tom for wisdom and guidance and he, like any father figure worthy of the description would never let us down. His proud legacy is AVSIM and, as privileged members, our responsibility is to honour this legacy by maintaining those standards which have been established by our founder.

Thank you and rest in peace Tom, you will be missed.

Mike Campbell

I didn't read every post, but had to respond a second time after reading a few of them. John Gillespie Magee, Jr.s poem "High Flight" suits Tom to a T:

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds -
and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of -
wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.
Hovering there I've chased the shouting wind along
and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.

"Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
and, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
the high untrespassed sanctity of space,
put out my hand and touched the face of God."

Godspeed, Tom.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

My condolences to the Allensworth family and to Mr. Allensworth himself a heartfelt "Thank you", for giving us flight simmers a place like AVSIM.

Your passion and life blood for this place really showed in everything you said and did around here. As a less frequent user I can only wonder how much effort went into AVSIM day in and day out. Keeping the site open for so long and through troubled times as well.

May your legacy live on and prosper for times to come.

I wish you serenity and everlasting peace, wherever you may rest now.

My deepest condolences to Tom's family and the AVSIM Staff team for loosing such a dedicated person.

We can all agree that Tom's departure was way too early and that the community has lost a great person that has done a tonne of good things to get the community gathered at one place.

Now there is only one thing left to say.

Tom Allensworth you are cleared to takeoff climb to infinity disregard SID profile.
Rest in Peace Tom. You will most certainly be missed

Blimey, I had no idea. I've been less involved with the forum than I have been previously, so this has come as a shock. I pass on my heartfelt condolences to Tom's friends and family. RIP Tom.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Thank you Tom for sending birthday wishes every year when others who are family didn't.

May you fly high and fast Tom.

Jim

CYWG

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
- Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Farewell and RIP Tom! My thoughts and prayers are with your family 

I discovered Flight Simulator back in the SubLogic days. I thought it was the greatest thing anyone could do in a PC. (I still do). But I thought I was alone in my love for this amazing software. When the internet came of age and I discovered AVSIM, it was as if I had found a home. I had no idea there were so many people like myself who loved this software and found ways to advance it. In doing so, it became an universe all its own with AVSIM at the center of it. 

So thank you, Tom, for your vision and unselfishness to create and maintain this fantastic universe and to make an otherwise insignificant person feel accepted in this beautiful universe. Clear skies and unlimited visibility; Takeoff power Captain Tom. Thank you and may you rest in peace.

I am saddened to hear that Tom has passed.  Avsim was always my favorite place to communicate with others.  I hope Avsim lives on.  Prayers go out to his family and friends.   :-(

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

What a remarkable guy Tom was.
I feel truly fortunate to have been around during his tenure at AVSIM.
RIP Tom.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.