Sign in to follow this  
Eric Tomlin

Farewell to Tom Allensworth

Haven't checked in here for a while, so I just saw the news of Tom's passing. My sincere condolences to his family and everyone in the Avsim community.

Ken

I'm usually in and out of the hobby, more out than in nowadays, so this is the first I'm reading of this.  AVSIM has been an invaluable resource for me, and this hobby.  My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Every time I come to the forum it seems there is a new post here, and every time I see this thread its like a punch in the gut when I realize that the man who to so many of us was AVsim is really really gone. Not the hard punch that I felt when first hearing the news, but a gentle twist of dismay/sadness that it ended like that.

What a shame, and again all my best to the family and friends.  :(

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Been a while since I have been here as my career has taken me away from the hobby somewhat. But I checked in tonight only to see this sad news. My condolences to the family. Sometimes a business or in this case a hobby can only continue because of the dedication its founder had to it. It therefore requires us all to contribute in whichever way we can to help management keep the flame alight that was the enthusiasm and dedication behind Tom's Avsim. A bigger and better Avsim will be a fitting tribute to Tom.   Rest in Peace Tom.

Terry  

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

Have not been here in a long while, but utter shock at reading this. RIP mate, you did so much for the FS community.

Holy cow, how terrible.  I admit that I have been away from this forum for a while now, due to computer/sim issues and recently came back to see what was up.  Geez, I am so sorry for everyone's loss.  Rest in Peace Tom.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Although I never had the good fortune to meet you, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what a character you must have been from all the love shown by everyone on here. God bless you Tom. Rest in peace. You shall live on through your great work in this monumental site and the fond memories people have of you.

Me and everyone at Soarfly Concepts have only just heard. It's was a shock to the system. Our prayers are with Tom's family and friends, I can't believe I did't hear about this sooner :(

I am sure the AVSIM community will keep his spirit alive.

Let us not be saddened by his passing but let us remember his achievements and the influential role he played in the Flight Sim community.

Rest easy Tom and good luck

form-340632-0-54976200-1410009644.png

Mark - Soarfly Concepts

Like many others posting recently I've been away from the hobby for a good 10 years, so I just learned of Tom's passing. Glad to have met him briefly 14 or so years ago, and thankful for what Avsim brought me - and Tom brought to Avsim. Thanks Tom!  Clear skies,

Vincent

Such terrible news. My thoughts are with his family. R.I.P. Tom.

I met Tom in Denver 2004, I had just arrived from a long trip from Argentina, my home.
Tom gave me wellcome and help me with all stuff, since then, He always wait me every FANCON, to greet me and help me

in San Diego Tom invited me to your room, where he gave a small meeting, and there I could talk to Captain Suzanna Darcy-Henneman, test pilotof Boeing.
I just get the news about the pass away of our dear Tom, my condolences with my respectfull, thanks to Tom, I could know many places and many people, which love this passion, the aviation.
As we , here in my country use to say, he is not dead , he just went to flight higher.

Farewell Tom, and thanks for everything

Although I did not know much about Tom, reading about his legacy allows me to envision the type of individual he was. Thanks Tom for establishing this amazing platform. May you fly high in the sky, watching over us all!

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.