Sign in to follow this  
Stanner

Computer Crash - Black Screen

I had Plan-g open with FSX operating in the background.  Then the computer crashed and I got a BLACK SCREEN.

When I rebooted I found that my FSX folder had disappeared.  In the Windows 7 PROGRAMS AND FEATURES,

FSX was NOT LISTED.  The only FSX files remaining were where the flight plans are located, and the file where

the FSX.cfg file is located.

Questions:

1.  I assume there is no way to recover  the FSX files.  Is this correct?

( I tried a reset to an earlier date with no success).

2.  Since FSX was not properly uninstalled, will I have a problem reinstalling FSX?

(I have the FSX Gold edition)

3.  I deleted Plan-G.   What could have caused the computer to totally crash to

a black screen?

4.  What could have caused the complete removal of FSX? 

Thanks.

Stanner

What could have caused the complete removal of FSX?

Just because FSX is not listed in your Uninstall list in Programs and Features does not mean it was deleted.  Did you open Windows Explorer and go t the directory where FSX was installed to see if the program is still there?  FSX is not listed under FSX in Programs and Features.  It should be listed as Microsoft Flight Simulation X so maybe you did not go down far enough in the list.

If you received a black screen and a crash, it most likely means you were low on system resources.  When you run out of system resources or it gets low, then your screen will go dark as your video card can no longer render graphics.  A restart of your system will usually fix this problem. 

In order to determine the cause of your crash, you should download and run AppCrashView and post the results of the crash here.  See Page 1 of the AVSIM CTD Guide for a link to the AppCrashView program and further instructions.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

I had FSX installed on my "D" drive.  I did a START SEARCH for Microsoft Flight Simulator X and only found the two files mentioned.  I also did a search through START SEARCH of the D drive and found no FSX folder.  I also used Windows internet Explorer to search the D drive.  No FSX folder.

I went directly to the D drive (Computer-D drive) and no FSX.  I am using Windows 7

How can a crash to the Black Screen delete an entire program?  It also deleted the Plan-G program. I had to reboot after the crash.

Will I have a problem reinstalling FSX  (I have the Gold Edition) in view that it was not correctly deleted?  (Assuming it was deleted).

Thank you.

Stanner

PS

I posted the same question on the Pllan-G forum, and they said they never heard of a computer crash deleting a complete program.

Also they had no idea why it crashed.

Will I have a problem reinstalling FSX (I have the Gold Edition) in view that it was not correctly deleted? (Assuming it was deleted).

If it still shows it is installed with the entries in the system registry, you will probably get a popup to do a repair. In any case, it is hard to tell what will happen. I would just reinstall it and, if you get the option to do a repair, accept that too.  Your issue is definitely the first ever.  I've never heard of any program or anyone that caused FSX to disappear.  If you are like me with big thumbs, you might have somehow hit a delete key but then that would require a lot of big thumbs getting in the way.  I would say it is literally impossible to delete FSX without going through the uninstall procedure.  So something truly strange occurred.  I don't think it will do any damage though once you repair or reinstall.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

I have removed all the FSX files I could find.  I will do a reinstall and hope it takes.  I had a heck of a time deleting aircraft and scenery codes from the registry and c:\Program Files(x86) InstallShield Installation Information.  (I have Win7 64 bit.)      I did a registry clean with CC Cleaner.  What a mess!

Thank you for your help.

Stanner